Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-12-05 15:30:02

blueprint
Website

Re: TXP Tweet: arc_twitter and arc_twitter_intents

Thanks for paying attention to this. However, installing the version 0.1.2 results in an error. Tweeting from the extension tab works fine. But, when writing an article and setting the twitter radio button to yes results in the error:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(594) : eval()’d code on line 250.

Any idea on how to solve this??

I appreciate help for this usefull plugin.

#14 2009-12-06 11:44:58

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

blueprint wrote:

Thanks for paying attention to this. However, installing the version 0.1.2 results in an error. Tweeting from the extension tab works fine. But, when writing an article and setting the twitter radio button to yes results in the error:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(594) : eval()’d code on line 250.

Any idea on how to solve this??

I appreciate help for this usefull plugin.

That’s a bit strange if you are able to tweet from the extensions tab but not tweet an article. My first suggestion would have been to check you are using the correct username and password, but that is clearly not the case. It seems that Twitter doesn’t like whatever is being sent. Is this a consistent problem? What is the article title that is being sent to be tweeted? That may be breaking something.

I’m working on the next release of the plugin. I’ll try and work something in to suppress this error and hopefully provide some feedback on what has happened so that it is easier to try and figure out what is going wrong in future.

#15 2009-12-09 08:39:04

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

The prefix and suffix suggestions are excellent. Suffix great for #hashsearches. Fantastic if you could add this. Thanks for the plugin.

For now I’m adding #tags to the title, saving the article, and then quickly deleting the #tags from the title and resaving. – Not perfect but it works.

Tweet me @the_rock_of_gib

Last edited by geoff777 (2009-12-09 13:01:51)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#16 2009-12-17 22:10:07

speeke
Website

Hi Andy, just wondering:

1. what type of url shortening your plugin uses? I am using Stef’s smd_short_url plugin on my site, which produces urls in the format: site.com/article_ID. I’d like to provide the links in this format if possible.

2. how the articles are truncated to Twitter’s 140 character limit? Is it possible to optionally instruct your plugin to accept the excerpt as the text (where the excerpt text is less than or equal to 140 characters, naturally)?

PS: I also left a comment on your website – sorry for the duplication, but thought this may be the better place to post my queries.

“People who value their privileges above their principles soon lose both.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower

#17 2009-12-17 22:23:20

Destry
Website

monkeyninja wrote:

(I like the idea of adding hashtags to the end of the tweet).

I agree with you there, Andy. This does seem to be the de facto way of doing it in the Twittersphere, and it just makes sense; you read the message and then see the context. Done.

#18 2010-01-01 20:54:48

Qwest

Thank you so much for this plugin. So easy to use & implement.

I’d like to echo speeke & monkeyninja’s comments. I’d love to be able to use smd_short_url’s short url’s instead of other url shorteners. I’d also love to add hashtags to the end of the tweets.

I’d also like to schedule posts to go ‘live’ in the future (which is more than capable with TXP) but have the tweet published when the post goes live in the future. At the moment, it ignores any posts which are scheduled.

Good work :)

#19 2010-01-03 18:57:09

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry for the slow response, the last month has been somewhat eventful. A new version of the plugin is in the works and should include a new prefix/suffix feature and improved public tags to accommodate Destry’s original request.

speeke wrote:

Hi Andy, just wondering:

1. what type of url shortening your plugin uses? I am using Stef’s smd_short_url plugin on my site, which produces urls in the format: site.com/article_ID. I’d like to provide the links in this format if possible.

2. how the articles are truncated to Twitter’s 140 character limit? Is it possible to optionally instruct your plugin to accept the excerpt as the text (where the excerpt text is less than or equal to 140 characters, naturally)?

PS: I also left a comment on your website – sorry for the duplication, but thought this may be the better place to post my queries.

In answer to your questions:-

1. Currently arc_twitter is using TinyURLs I am looking into using other methods in the future, possibly providing a choice. I haven’t seen Stef’s plugin, but I will check it out when I get chance to start working on this.
  2. Tweets are constructed from the article title with the shortened URL appended to the end; the next major release of the plugin will allow you to add text to the front and end of the tweet. I hadn’t really considered using the excerpt as the text. Incidentally if the article title + shortened url are more than 140 characters long the article title will be automatically shortened; obviously the new prefix/suffix feature will affect this too.

#20 2010-01-03 20:41:59

drnoble

Andy,

Just a quick note to add my thanks for this plugin, and note support for the option of using http://mysite.com/ID# short links plus tweet prefix/suffixes.

I am using gbp_permanent_links on my site, and have hardcoded these two changes in to your plugin; but it would be nice to have a UI for them!

Also, when truncating, would it be possible to use the ellipsis character (…) rather than three dots (which would save two of the 140 characters!)

#21 2010-01-15 04:36:11

speeke
Website

monkeyninja wrote:

… the next major release of the plugin will allow you to add text to the front and end of the tweet.

Just wondering if you have an eta on the next major release? Won’t hold you to it, just thought I’d ask “the question” ;)

“People who value their privileges above their principles soon lose both.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower

#22 2010-01-15 09:40:23

Destry
Website

monkeyninja wrote:

Sorry for the slow response, the last month has been somewhat eventful. A new version of the plugin is in the works and should include a new prefix/suffix feature and improved public tags to accommodate Destry’s original request.

Sounds great!

#23 2010-01-16 19:04:46

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

speeke wrote:

Just wondering if you have an eta on the next major release? Won’t hold you to it, just thought I’d ask “the question” ;)

Hopefully very soon. I’ve started to test and tweak the two main new features of the plugin that will be included in the next release. The documentation also needs updating a little to take into account the new tag that will come with this new version. A bug with the cache directory option when handled through the plugin’s admin page will also be rectified.

This next release won’t be tackling the choice of URL shortening as has been requested by a number of people, but I will hopefully start looking into that afterwards. This may be influenced by how people respond to the interface for the prefix/suffix. I think it is important that the UI works well before adding further options.

drnoble wrote:

Also, when truncating, would it be possible to use the ellipsis character (…) rather than three dots (which would save two of the 140 characters!)

I agree the ellipsis character would be much nicer; however, I am not sure what will happen when parsing it in terms of how it will get encoded. It may take the tweet over the limit if not careful. I will investigate.

#24 2010-01-24 18:22:49

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve just released arc_twitter version 0.2.

New features:-

• Prefix and suffix article tweets using the “Twitter Update” options
    • You can set a default prefix through the plugin preferences page
  • arc_twitter_search tag – outputs results for specific keywords, hashtags, mentions, etc.
  • Improved mentions and hashtag linking when updates are rendered

Fixes:-

• The preference page will now properly update when the cache directory is changed

When upgrading from an earlier version you may want to change/remove the default prefix on the preferences page.

A big thanks to everyone here who has helped inspire me to develop and improve this plugin. I’m really pleased people are finding this useful.

Off to drink beer now…

Last edited by monkeyninja (2010-01-24 18:23:17)

Board footer