Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2009-11-30 23:06:01

aslsw66
Website

Re: aks_rss : RSS parser and aggregator

I’ve just installed this plugin and run a simple test on a weather feed. The feed works as intended, but in test mode I’m getting lots of these sorts of errors:

“Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated on line 12986”

I have no idea about parsing RSS feeds, and have been putting this off because I’m a bit nervous about it.

I’m only using the basic functionality as shown on one of the demo pages.

Are these errors a major issue?

Also, the weather feed I’m using spits out the weather in some poorly formed HTML, which the plugin is picking up (as it should). However, the feed gives the raw weather data inside a <w:current … /> tag. Is it possible to extract that instead, so that I can tidy up the HTML to display?

#50 2009-12-01 14:08:23

merz1
Website

@aslsw66 One trick to tidy up RSS feeds is to let them run through FeedBurner first.

@pompilos The same might work for you. Of course all feed info will remain. To clean a feed from specific content you have to use Yahoo pipes.

FeedBurner Make sure to activate the ‘SmartFeed’ feature in ‘Optimize’.

Last edited by merz1 (2009-12-01 14:09:30)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#51 2010-01-04 11:09:07

andreas
Website

Sorry if this is dumb – but I can’t seem to get this working.

I have set up a form containing the following:

<div class="blogpost">
<h2><txp:title /></h2>
<txp:body /> 
<p class="meta">Geschrieben <strong><txp:posted format="%d. %B %Y" /></strong><br />Originalpost auf <txp:aks_rss_link><txp:aks_rss_title /></txp:aks_rss_link></p>
</div>

And this is in my page template:

<txp:aks_rss feed="http://retemirabile.posterous.com/rss.xml" form="posterousImport" />

I don’t get ANY output at all. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

#52 2010-01-07 20:25:55

makss
Plugin Author
Website

andreas wrote:

I don’t get ANY output at all. What am I doing wrong?

• copy simplepie.inc from aks_rss.zip to textpattern/lib/ directory.
  • Make sure that the TxP tmp directory is writeable. This is where Simplepie will put its cache files by default.

Possible need set “Absolute path” in aks_rss Preferences

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#53 2010-01-08 11:44:28

merz1
Website

From the homepage:

Unsupported attributes from SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern: showtitle, alttitle, h

Any chance that those three attributes from SimplePie will be supported in future versions?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#54 2010-01-09 17:25:18

andreas
Website

makss wrote:

• copy simplepie.inc from aks_rss.zip to textpattern/lib/ directory.
  • Make sure that the TxP tmp directory is writeable. This is where Simplepie will put its cache files by default.

Possible need set “Absolute path” in aks_rss Preferences

I did all that – still no output.

Just to be sure: All I need is a form (in my case “posterousImport”, see above) and the <aks_rss .../> Tag in the page template, right? Or do I have to put it in an article? — The plugin help doesn’t make it clear where those tags have to go.

Thanks for your help.

#55 2010-01-23 21:02:01

aslsw66
Website

In my previous post, I mentioned that I was getting error messages,

I have started from scratch and used the first demo which grabs the feed from CNN, and am still getting the errors. Is it because Simplepie has updated and now deprectated some functioinality built into the plugin?

Or should I just turn the production status to ‘live’ to suppress the errors?!?

#56 2010-01-26 06:27:45

floodfish
Website

Any ideas why this feed doesn’t work? I get “A feed could not be found at” error…

http://feeds.feedburner.com/JasonDasOnUrbansketchers

#57 2010-01-26 06:52:30

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

floodfish wrote:

Any ideas why this feed doesn’t work? I get “A feed could not be found at” error…

First check that your server allows outgoing connections and either curl or fopen is configured correctly.

Note that Feedburner isn’t actually a fan of rabid repeated automatic feed fetching, and you can’t really blame them for that. If I were you, I would directly fetch the original feeds, instead using the man in the middle.

If you are going to use Feedburner make sure that Simplepie’s caching is enabled and time-interval is more than just two seconds (like half-hour, 15 minutes). You might also want to change Simplepie’s user-agent.

#58 2010-01-26 08:09:27

floodfish
Website

Thanks, Jukka. Skipping Feedburner and going straight to the original feed fixed it.

#59 2010-03-07 03:22:19

laptophobo
Website

My apologies for posting in the wrong topic area previously. (I appreciate your patience). Now, regarding the txp:feed…

Merz1 said to use <txp:feed>http://Feed-URL</txp:feed> or use the aks_rss version. I did that but I get this error message:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\htdocs\example.dev/textpattern/lib/simplepie.inc’ (include_path=’.;C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\php\PEAR’) in C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\htdocs\example.dev\textpattern\lib\txplib_misc.php(594) : eval()‘d code on line 86

Could this be because I’m working from local host? (Vista 64 OS).

Thanks again.

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

#60 2010-03-07 07:10:26

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Hmmm… This should work on your localhost – did you copy simplepie.inc to C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\htdocs\example.dev/textpattern/lib/simplepie.inc ?

This plugin depends on the simplepie script.

Last edited by JanDW (2010-03-07 07:12:59)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

Board footer