Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2009-05-29 11:54:08

Neko

Re: [mention] Textpattern vs WordPress - a Lack of Momentum

wet wrote:

Low CTR, even lower eCPM. Trust me, it’s not worth the effort.

Would be a bad idea to sell ad spaces like this site’s doing?

http://www.cmsdesignresource.com/

The squared banners on the right, I guess devs could make a few bucks out of them while having well designed and relevant ads.

Last edited by Neko (2009-05-29 11:54:26)

#50 2009-06-02 18:51:15

alexandra

wet schrieb:

the_ghost wrote:

Why not to ad google links adv to the forum?

Low CTR, even lower eCPM. Trust me, it’s not worth the effort.

That surprises me. I just got $ 70,00 by google from a site having max 1% of the traffic TXP.com has. Serendipity, a CMS driven by a single german has adv on its site and i did talk to some poeple who drive well visited blogs here in germany who really get a lot per month. it is not the way to become rich but as far as i remember from school $ 70 > $ 0 ;)

#51 2009-06-02 21:26:09

saccade
Plugin Author

One of my favourite moments in working with the web is going to textpattern.com and feel free and dedicated to one single thing. No ads, no things that distract me, no one tracking my clicks, no one wanting me to look, try, buy something. No different colours and so on.

I can look around all the viewport, no tiring filter job for my eyes to be done – wherever I look there is textpattern-information and nothing else.

• Nothing than my favourite and well carved tool.
  • Concentrated on the important things.
  • With a fine note of skilled craftsmanship,
  • with a community that is friendly, helpful and honest

That’s my personal momentum. That’s what I regard luxury (and I like it).

At the moment there’s a song around my head with a lyrics line “nothing better than to get and to give”.
I think we shouldn’t reason getting money out of someone else (though in the end we’re all that pay the fee). And I wouldn’t mingle too much with things that everyone does.
What makes an open source project really strong is its support by people who join. Maybe we should point that out a little more.
But it’s much more fun with a dedicated ethics. With a reliable promise that there aren’t different goals that lead to doing this or that. I regard textpattern an example in this aspect.

We get a lot from what the developers and authors do. We ought to give something back (each by his/her means).
“Get and Give” would be the strongest momentum we could think of. It could be an engine with much more momentum than just having a “new” (button) release all two months (software “momentum” of this kind more and more reminds me of the “new” computers twice a year which let your running machine look “old” after two months – but without any improvement what you really can achieve with those new tools).

The strongest trees grow very slowly – they get still better if there is a steady flow of liquids.

Giving (donating) is fun, it makes happy and let’s you feel free and generous – and it keeps your core sane!

All these fine and dedicated points I’d like to keep: So I founded my private keep the outdated ethics fund (and handed it over). Maybe others would like to do the same?

Last edited by saccade (2009-06-02 21:32:40)

#52 2009-06-03 03:34:01

mrdale
Website

I’m looking forward to the next topic “Textpattern vs. six cigar-smoking nuns and a donkey”

I wanna see where that one leads.

#53 2009-06-03 04:37:39

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

mrdale wrote:

six cigar-smoking nuns and a donkey

The next Cup and two girls.

#54 2009-06-03 14:16:34

renobird
Website

Gocom….NOOOOO!!!!!!!

#55 2009-09-12 06:23:20

bici
Website Mastodon

I don’t know why WP gets so much traction. Just finished testing WP for our org. They wanted to use WP. After a month of trying it out we are giving up on it. When you try to push out of the narrow envelope it can cause days of lost productivity. It just doesn’t cut it as a cms.

While they are now looking at drupal, I and another Member will be doing a subsection of our org’s new website in TxP. It is such a pleasure to work in txp. I am looking forward to our new project!

I hope that more devs will get involved with improving TxP and making it even better than it is today.

PS I first came to TxP because of Dean Allen. Hope you keep his name on the masthead in some capacity.

But by all means do give proper credit to the new developers. They deserve to be recognized and thanked. many times over

Last edited by bici (2009-09-12 21:13:56)

…. texted postive

Board footer