Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-08-13 20:18:24

maniqui
Website

Re: aks_rss : RSS parser and aggregator

hi makss,

Thanks for this plugin.
I can’t see why I’m not getting any output. I’m using the code in your example, directly inside the body of an article.
I see that the thing is somehow working as the ##longnumber##.scp files are being created on textpattern/tmp.

While I’m here, I also would like to know if aks_rss can be used only inside articles or if it will work directly on page templates.

Thanks again.

edit: btw, I’m on TXP 4.2.0 RC

Last edited by maniqui (2009-08-13 20:21:23)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#38 2009-08-13 20:59:03

makss
Plugin Author
Website

I can’t see why I’m not getting any output. I’m using the code in your example, directly inside the body of an article.
I see that the thing is somehow working as the ##longnumber##.scp files are being created on textpattern/tmp.

Please, try this code inside the body of an article.

==<txp:aks_rss feed="http://forum.textpattern.com/extern.php?type=RSS&action=active&fid=79" wraptag="ul">
<li><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></li>
</txp:aks_rss>==

While I’m here, I also would like to know if aks_rss can be used only inside articles or if it will work directly on page templates.

aks_rss – fine work in articles, page templates, forms.

edit: btw, I’m on TXP 4.2.0 RC

With TXP 4.2.0 RC – all ok

Edit: “I’m not getting any output” – perhaps you forgot to create rss form in TxP.

Last edited by makss (2009-08-13 21:08:03)

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#39 2009-08-13 22:16:43

maniqui
Website

makss,

thanks for your quick reply.

makss wrote:

Please, try this code inside the body of an article.

Tried it, no luck.

I’ve tried bot running the plugin from the database and from plugin_cache_dir.
Also I’ve tried disabling every other plugin.

aks_rss – fine work in articles, page templates, forms.

Great, good to know.

Edit: “I’m not getting any output” – perhaps you forgot to create rss form in TxP.

I’m using the example code, where <txp:aks_rss> is used as a container tag, so I suppose there is no need to use the form attribute. But just in case, I’ve added form="" but nothing changed. Also, I’ve tried the plugin tag as a self-closing tag, and using form="default". No luck either :(

I paste diagnostics to see if it helps:

Textpattern version: 4.0.8 (r3250)
Last Update: 2009-08-06 16:24:28/2009-08-06 16:07:20
Document root: xxx
$path_to_site: xxx
Textpattern path: xxx
Permanent link mode: section_title
Temporary directory path: xxx
Site URL: xxx
PHP version: 5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1
GD Image Library: 2.0 or higher; supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG.
Server TZ: System/Localtime
Server Local Time: 2009-08-13 19:14:43
DST enabled?: 1
Automatically adjust DST setting?: 1
Time Zone: Europe/London (0)
MySQL: 5.0.75-0ubuntu10.2
Locale: en_GB.UTF-8
Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0
Apache version: Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0
PHP Server API: apache2handler
RFC 2616 headers:
Server OS: Linux 2.6.28-15-generic
Active plugins: aks_rss-0.1.4b, ied_plugin_composer-0.83
Admin-side theme: remora 4.0.8

Thanks again.

#40 2009-08-13 22:55:27

maniqui
Website

From the fact that the cache files are being created on /textpattern/tmp, it seems that the thing is half-working for me.

For the record, this is the testing code I’m using on an article body:

<txp:aks_rss feed="http://textpattern.com/rss/?section=weblog" wraptag="ul" form="default" />

<txp:aks_rss feed="http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/videos?q=cats&start-index=1&max-results=25" wraptag="ul">
<li <txp:aks_rssclass />><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink><br /><txp:body /><hr/>
<sub>(<txp:posted format="rfc822" />) <b><txp:aks_rsstitle /></b></sub><br /><br /></li>
</txp:aks_rss>

<txp:aks_rss feed="http://forum.textpattern.com/extern.php?type=RSS&action=active&fid=79" wraptag="ul">
<li><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></li>
</txp:aks_rss>

#41 2009-08-13 23:07:30

maniqui
Website

Ok, sorry for the triple posting… and even more sorries for wasting your time… it was all my fault…
I’m ashamed.

It happened that when I downloaded the plugin, I also went to SimplePie site and saw there was a new version (1.2) and I said: “hey, let’s try aks_rss with the new SimplePie version”.

As it didn’t work, I then say: “ok, let’s go back to SimplePie 1.1.3”, and I was sure I did replace it… but I didn’t.

Few minutes ago, I checked that the simplepie.inc file on server was still 1.2, so I rolled back to 1.1.3 and we all know the happy ending for this story :).

At least, we know that aks_rss and SimplePie 1.2 aren’t compatible… yet… ;)

#42 2009-08-14 20:47:35

maniqui
Website

Me again.

makss: if you are preparing any update, you may want to consider the following feedback :)

<txp:aks_rssclass /> doesn’t do things on a very “textpatternish way”, imho.
Why? It tries to resolve “more” than what is needed, or said using other words: it outputs more than the necessary.
It currently outputs class='example-com', so it just can be used for adding a class attribute to an HTML element (of course… it’s aks_rssclass!).

So, what’s the problem? If you want to add another class to the same element that you are adding <txp:aks_rssclass />, you can’t. Or even if you want to add just that class, but add some sufix or prefix, you can’t either

IMHO, a better solution (a more “textpatternish” solution) would just been a tag that outputs just example-com, let’s name it aks_rss_source (or something like that).

That will let us do things like:

Multiple classes:
<li class="<txp:aks_rss_source /> another-class"> ==> <li class="youtube-com another-class">

Custom classes (helpful if you already used the class somewhere else or if you want to create different classes for different HTML inside each feed item):
<li class="<txp:aks_rss_source />-feed-item"> ==> <li class="you-tube-feed-item">

Unique IDs (may be usefu for scripting)
<li id="<txp:aks_rss_source />-<txp:rvm_counter />"> ==> <li id="you-tube-1">
<li id="<txp:aks_rss_source />-<txp:rvm_counter />"> -> <li id="you-tube-2">

One more comment

• aesthetically, I would prefer an underscore separating the plugin name from the particular tag name: <txp:aks_rss_class />, <txp:aks_rss_title />, <txp:aks_rss_link />,

And, finally, a question about an attribute:

remove_div (optional)
This attribute allows you to strip that div out.

What does it do? I don’t get it.

Thanks again.

#43 2009-08-15 22:00:15

makss
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

<txp:aks_rssclass /> doesn’t do things on a very “textpatternish way”, imho.
IMHO, a better solution (a more “textpatternish” solution) would just been a tag that outputs just example-com, let’s name it aks_rss_source (or something like that)..

• aesthetically, I would prefer an underscore separating the plugin name from the particular tag name: <txp:aks_rss_class />, <txp:aks_rss_title />, <txp:aks_rss_link />,

Thanks for feedback, it will be fixed in next update.

And, finally, a question about an attribute:
remove_div (optional)
What does it do? I don’t get it.

I don’t know. :-)
It’s from Simplepie attributes, possible I remove this attribute(or simple hide from my docs ;-)
From Simplepie docs

aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#44 2009-08-16 09:34:03

merz1
Website

Re. remove_div: Pls. check SimplePie doc before removing an option. In my experience all options supportes by SimplePie do make sense.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#45 2009-08-16 10:24:54

whaleen
Website

wrong post

Last edited by whaleen (2009-08-16 10:29:40)

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#46 2009-08-24 20:57:06

maniqui
Website

Hi makss,

I wonder how/if the <txp:author /> works, as I’m fetching a feed that has <author>memail.com</author>, but then, <txp:author /> doesn’t return anything.

Also, I’m also trying to create a custom feed (reading both your tutorial and using rah_external_output to keep the feed out of the TXP section and articles machinery), to fetch the comments counting. I’m following this tutorial: Extending SimplePie to parse Unique RSS Feeds.
Do you have any particular advice, tip or tricks on how to get aks_rss to fetch custom feeds that has some particular fields?

Thanks in advance.

#47 2009-08-30 11:24:23

makss
Plugin Author
Website

aks_rss v0.1.5

Changes:
  • Add attribute shortdesc – short item description to N words
  • Fix bad naming:
    • <txp:aks_rsstitle /> renamed to <txp:aks_rss_title />
    • <txp:aks_rsslink /> renamed to <txp:aks_rss_link />
    • <txp:aks_rssclass /> – please, use other tag – <txp:aks_rss_source />

maniqui, thank for link on “Extending SimplePie to parse Unique RSS Feeds”

Last edited by makss (2016-01-16 18:23:11)

#48 2009-09-20 00:48:09

pompilos
Website

Hello, makss.

I am testing your plugin at this educational web, and it works perfectly. The problem is that I want to link to a Flickr pool, but not to show the title and date info. I would prefer rather to show the thumbnail image of each photography. This information is available in the Flickr rss feed, as seen at this piece of code:

<media:thumbnail url="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2659/3935637540_713b5e9b02_s.jpg" height="75" width="75" />.

Can your plugin do this? If ‘yes’, what code have I to use in order to achieve it? If ‘not’, I think this one would be a great feature to ad to future versions of the plugin.

Thanks anyway for your plugin (sometimes ago I tested another SimpePie plugin based without any results).

Last edited by pompilos (2009-09-20 01:06:13)

Board footer