Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-07-17 08:45:08

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Evolving Textpattern System Requirements - An Informal Poll

My sites are still on textdrive with php5.1.4 but mysql 4.1.18-log. I wrote to Joyent and I’m waiting for their answer:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#14 2009-07-17 08:56:32

jstubbs
Website

Yiannis, strange your Joyent settings are not current – my sites are on PHP 5.2.9 and MySQL 5.0.67. PHP settings here

#15 2009-07-17 09:50:14

gomedia
Plugin Author

Sam & Stef, well done & thanks for stepping into the breach.

With regards to updating the basic system requirements for TXP – I’m all in favour. The security improvements should be good enough reason in themselves. Just done a straw poll of my live sites & they’re all PHP 5.2+ & MySQL 5.0+.

If anyone gets lumbered with older releases of PHP/MySQL there’s always Plan B: install an older version of Textpattern and run it “as is”. Who could complain when the “older version” would be 4.0.8 or 4.0.9?

#16 2009-07-17 10:39:43

douglgm
Website

As long as there is good/clear communication for Textpattern users to explain why and what they need to do about it (talk to their hosts) then I don’t see there’s a problem.

People updating thier sites to the latest version and then being surprised that nothing works any more needs to be avoided.

Doug.

#17 2009-07-17 13:05:11

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jstubbs wrote:

Yiannis, strange your Joyent settings are not current – my sites are on PHP 5.2.9 and MySQL 5.0.67. PHP settings here

hi Jonathan,

I’m on textdrive’s lifetime accounts and just received the answer that they will not be upgrading their mysql. Posted back with a query regarding lifer accounts and migration to joyent. I guess i’ll know soon. the problem is that 2/4 sites are for a non profit I belong to and there is very little money but very big expenses for that one so their answer will need to go to our committee and see what we will do from there.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#18 2009-07-17 13:38:34

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

this sounds good!

and

maverick wrote:

+1 for bring the requirements up.

Why? Moving forward requires letting somethings go.

this used to be one of my biggest concerns about textpattern. back when certain devs did NOT want to change anything in fear of losing a bit of backwards compatibility. i’m only back on these forums now because things around here seem to be changing for the better.

#19 2009-07-17 17:22:28

artagesw
Website

colak wrote:

I’m on textdrive’s lifetime accounts and just received the answer that they will not be upgrading their mysql. Posted back with a query regarding lifer accounts and migration to joyent. I guess i’ll know soon. the problem is that 2/4 sites are for a non profit I belong to and there is very little money but very big expenses for that one so their answer will need to go to our committee and see what we will do from there.

Are you still on the old BSD servers? Joyent won’t be updating those because they are phasing them out. Lifetime accounts can upgrade to the newer Solaris-based servers for free, and those have a current software stack.

#20 2009-07-17 17:28:25

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

+1 on bumping the system requirements to PHP 5.2 and MySQL 5.1 (or 4.1), to get rid of the old latin1 databases.

-1 on OO TXP.

#21 2009-07-17 17:45:23

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

artagesw wrote:

Are you still on the old BSD servers? Joyent won’t be updating those because they are phasing them out. Lifetime accounts can upgrade to the newer Solaris-based servers for free, and those have a current software stack.

If I recall correctly – the lifetime redux hosting can’t be upgraded, neither can combined lifetime plans. As the limits on the joyent servers are fixed. I had to spilt my hosting and some TXP sites are still stuck on the textdrive servers. But that shouldn’t stop increased server requirements – PHP 5.2 and Mysql 5 sounds good to me.

Last edited by graeme (2009-07-17 18:34:59)

#22 2009-07-17 17:59:03

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

-1 on OO TXP.

I’m curious why not?

edit: +1 on moving on

Last edited by JanDW (2009-07-17 18:01:50)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#23 2009-07-17 18:09:00

artagesw
Website

graeme wrote:

If I recall correctly – the lifetime redux hosting can’t be upgraded or combined lifetime plans. As the limits on the joyent servers are fixed. I had to spilt my hosting and some TXP sites are still stuck on the textdrive servers. But that shouldn’t stop increased server requirements – PHP 5.2 and Mysql 5 sounds good to me.

My lifetime plan was migrated over no problem. The limits on the Solaris plans are even more generous than the BSD plans if I recall correctly. Joyent is actually going to shut down the old Textdrive BSD servers at some point. So, migration is mandatory and free of charge. You lose nothing by migrating and actually gain quite a bit in terms of performance, stability and security.

#24 2009-07-17 19:52:18

jstubbs
Website

artagesw wrote:

My lifetime plan was migrated over no problem. The limits on the Solaris plans are even more generous than the BSD plans if I recall correctly. Joyent is actually going to shut down the old Textdrive BSD servers at some point. So, migration is mandatory and free of charge. You lose nothing by migrating and actually gain quite a bit in terms of performance, stability and security.

That’s correct, but they were supposed to shut down the BSD boxes a long time ago back. The Solaris boxes are much more stable and PHP/MySQL is the latest.

Board footer