Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-01-10 18:45:36

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

another textpattern book?

so every so often, i browse the packt publishing website and submit random tidbits about Textpattern to their potential book idea form (basically all I write is “A book about Textpattern” as the idea haha). For the past few months i’ve gotten generally get no response.

I just submitted again last night though and was surprised that an acquisition editor had actually gotten back to me this morning in regards to a follow up on the idea. Seeing as I personally have no intention of writing any sort of book, I thought if anyone else here thought they might want to get together to prepare a proposal of some sort?

Personally I don’t know if its that necessary seeing as the first Textpattern Solutions book covered things rather well and was written in a very easy-to-follow fashion. I’m just curious, is there something more particular about Textpattern that you’d like to see in print?

#2 2008-01-10 22:29:33

kevinpotts

Re: another textpattern book?

As one of the original authors, I would personally find it tough to top Textpattern Solutions. It was written by three serious users with years of experience and technically edited by one of the core developers. Yes, it will have to be updated eventually when newer versions come to light, but for now, I’m not sure the market would support another book unless it had a significantly different slant. Again, take my feedback for what it’s worth, but I’m trying to think as objectively as possible on that.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#3 2008-01-10 22:35:15

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

hey kevin! i totally agree with you. textpattern solutions definitely covers things very well. i was just surprised i had gotten an actual response from an acquisition editor and figured i’d throw it out there.

#4 2008-01-11 04:57:36

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Ditto to what Kevin said. One possibility could be a “Textpattern Recipes” book or something. But I totally claim that title, so you can’t use it. ;p

#5 2008-01-30 20:27:20

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

You could also go for “Textpattern Cookbook” unless O’Reilly has some kind of trademark on [Technology Name] Cookbook titles. Doesn’t the existing book already have some recipe-style examples, though?

#6 2008-02-10 00:52:59

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I think they have it on O’Reilly

Should order that soon on Amazon. Cooking

Also

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2008-02-10 01:08:10)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2008-03-24 22:26:32

lister

I really like the textpattern solutions book as it explains what everything does in a nutshell. Though for me as a complete newbie I would like to see how to build a real step by step cms site (s) from beginning to end, without knowing what everything does in between….

Well leave that to textpattern solutions and textbook etc..

I’ll probably get flamed as textpattern solutions does have a some examples but i find they do tend to drift off slightly. Or maybe its just me and a few others..??

lister

#8 2008-06-01 09:48:26

Timid&friendly
Website

I’d like a book to explain the most efficient ways of creating things like multilevel dynamic navigation, something the everyone needs and yet not covered in Textpattern Solutions. Perhaps there are other must have solutions that are not covered…

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#9 2008-06-01 13:42:51

els

Though there are various ways to create dynamic navigation menus, I doubt if it would require a complete book to list them ;) But I agree it would be nice to have them all in one place (possibly a section in TextBook?).

#10 2008-06-01 23:22:26

6sigma
Website

Textpattern Solutions is great. As with many computer/software-oriented books, I’d love to see the authors offer downloads of $3.00 pdf files as a method for keeping the book expanding into new topics and updated for new tags. Once five or ten (?) pdf files are out, offer a 2nd Edition that contains those plus three more. Rinse & repeat.

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#11 2009-07-11 10:32:08

whaleen
Website

What about a book that focuses on PHP in relationship to TXP. A typical extensive PHP (MySQL) manual with all examples pointing to TXP related action…

Vol. 1. Creative abstract thinking type thing written by say, Bloke. Something like http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ but for PHP/TXP…
Vol. 2. Exhaustive Reference

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

Board footer