Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-06-16 18:16:05

alesh
Website

Need a slightly customized "article_custom" plugin

This is a request for someone who would be willing to develop a custom plugin. Please e-mail an estimate, or ask additional questions if necessary.

This is for a “calendar” feature on http://artandculturecenter.org, but it has very little to do with a real calendar; it’s an article list with a couple of twists:

1. The plugin generates a simple article list ala article_custom, and is able to take limit, form, etc.
  2. Pulls from several sections. The CATCH is that it treats a couple of sections a little differently.
  3. Articles from section 1 appear twice — once for posted date, once for expired date — along with a little custom text (“First day of exhibition:”, etc.)
  4. Articles from section 2 appear normally, but permalink to individual article page can be pointed at any OTHER article
  5. Articles from sections 3, 4 and 5 appear normally

For example (with limit=“5”):

• Today: First day of exhibition: Butterfly mattresses
  • Saturday, June 6: Cuisine for Art
  • Saturday, June 6: Summer Camp begins
  • Sunday, June 28: Last day of exhibition: Butterfly mattresses
  • Thursday, July 2: Bookmaking workshop

Does this make any sense? Would appreciate any help; I’m desperate to get this running!

Last edited by alesh (2009-06-16 18:18:13)

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#2 2009-06-16 19:30:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Need a slightly customized "article_custom" plugin

alesh

I was supposed to modify smd_calendar / smd_article_event for you specifically for this purpose wasn’t I? I kinda forgot and got sidetracked, sorry. If I get a chance I’ll do it but if anyone jumps in with a fix in the meantime then that’s cool.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2009-06-16 19:47:40

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

alesh wrote:

1. Articles from section 2 appear normally, but permalink to individual article page can be pointed at any OTHER article

I don’t quite understand this one. Do you mean that all such articles in the list would point to the same URL, and that this URL would be supplied as an attribute to the plugin tag?

Code is topiary

#4 2009-06-18 14:39:07

alesh
Website

Stef~ If you’re interested I’d still love to have you do it. It just seems that smd_calendar is not a great starting point for what I need because it produces a calendar output, where I need a simple unordered list, and it works with one section, where I need to use multiple (but not) all, and treat each one a little differently.

J Soo~ In other words, there are several sections that show up in the list according to posted date just as with article_custom. There is one section that shows up in the list under both it’s posted date AND its expiration date (with text to indicate each).

THEN there is a “calendar” section, which will allow me to insert dates for articles for which the posted date doesn’t put it in the calendar. I’d insert an article in a special “calendar” section, which when clicked would go to an article indicated, say, in a custom field. All the other items on the list just point to themselves.

Does that make sense?

#5 2009-06-18 14:58:53

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

alesh wrote:

THEN there is a “calendar” section, which will allow me to insert dates for articles for which the posted date doesn’t put it in the calendar. I’d insert an article in a special “calendar” section, which when clicked would go to an article indicated, say, in a custom field. All the other items on the list just point to themselves.

Got it. In the article listing for this section, which information comes from the article itself, and which from the article indicated in the custom field? That is, do article title, body, etc. all come from the article in the “calendar” section, and only the link href from the other article? Or would the link text (article title) also come from the linked article?

Code is topiary

#6 2009-06-18 15:14:56

alesh
Website

The title comes from the calendar, but there are no other fields used from either — the output really is just date and title with a link to the article.

The only other thing would be to have the date first, and use if_different, so that it only displays once for events on the same day (it might even make sense to use DD and DT instead of LI, so that the dates can be formatted differently)?

#7 2009-06-18 19:04:18

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve just emailed you at the address posted on your website.

Code is topiary

Board footer