Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-06-05 22:24:18

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: adi_cat_menu – Category & article menu

floodfish wrote:

Sorry for the long silence—I’ve been cleaning up a bunch of other stuff on the site, and just came back to this. I’m not sure if something I fixed elsewhere unbroke the problem I was having here or if I was just doing things wrong, but now it works!

Phew.

My problem now is that the urls are wrong. The links default to “/category/category-name”, but I am using a section called “categories”, not category.

That’s because when you link to a category, the standard format of the URL is “/category/category-name”. The “category” bit means category not a section called category.

Is this path/section adjustable via the plugin as it now stands? The “section” attribute won’t work, as I don’t want to restrict my list of articles to the “categories” section (there are no articles in it!).

Not sure if I understand why you’d want to link to a specific section when there are no articles within it.

Perhaps it’s a fix related to jpdupont’s request to get an option to remove the links on category names? (which I would also find useful!)

I’ve got a beta waiting in the wings (I’ll email you the download link).

#38 2009-06-05 23:58:11

floodfish
Website

The link attribute in the beta works great! I wasn’t sure what else to test, but will keep you posted as I use the plugin more.

Re. categories/category … I think you have pointed out a gap in my understanding of Textpattern’s default structure. Thank you, and now I’m gonna buckle down and hopefully can repoint everything to follow that structure.

Not an actual need at present, but: is there anyway to specify a form to use instead of adi_cat_menu_rss_articles if I need different forms on different parts of the site? (I could perhaps put some logic into adi_cat_menu_rss_articles to deal with this, but that seems a bit backwards.)

#39 2009-06-06 00:10:46

floodfish
Website

OK, just thought of a new feature I’d love to see (or have someone explain how I can do it with the existing plugin):

A “name” attribute for anchor tags on the category names, to set up navigation jumps within the page. On a long listing page, this would be really handy. (Ideally, this could be operational even when link=“0”.)

#40 2009-06-06 02:20:35

gomedia
Plugin Author

floodfish wrote:

Not an actual need at present, but: is there anyway to specify a form to use instead of adi_cat_menu_rss_articles if I need different forms on different parts of the site?

adi_cat_menu was written for 4.0.6 & is a bit primitive in its form usage. I’ve got some ideas to improve this & I’ll add user-specified forms to my to-do list.

A “name” attribute for anchor tags on the category names, to set up navigation jumps within the page. On a long listing page, this would be really handy. (Ideally, this could be operational even when link=“0”.)

Have you got an example? Do you mean fragment anchors (e.g. …/category/cat-name/#fragment)?

#41 2009-06-06 03:56:23

floodfish
Website

Have you got an example? Do you mean fragment anchors (e.g. …/category/cat-name/#fragment)?

Well, just to link to parts of the category list on the same page, not to fragments on the category page. Imagine I have 4,000 articles in 35 categories. It would be nice to offer a list of the category names at the top, and have each link to its portion of the larger list. Otherwise, it’s quite a lot of scrolling to even see what some of the categories are called.

Last edited by floodfish (2009-06-06 03:59:28)

#42 2009-06-16 04:53:18

floodfish
Website

Another question/request (requestion?) from me…

Is there a way to suppress listing of empty categories from the list?

#43 2009-06-16 21:42:54

gomedia
Plugin Author

floodfish wrote:

Is there a way to suppress listing of empty categories from the list?

Yes … but you’ll have to hang on for the next version!

#44 2009-06-21 23:38:11

gomedia
Plugin Author

Version 0.4 now available:

• new attributes: ‘link’, ‘article_form’ & ‘rss_article_form’
  • enhancement: extended ‘categories’ & ‘exclude’ functionality to section sensitive mode
  • fix: suppress empty <ul></ul>

#45 2009-07-09 05:51:32

photonomad
Website

This is a great plugin. I am curious if there is a way to get the plugin to also include articles that are Sticky? Not an either/or situation — I do want to list Live articles at the same time as well. I’ve fiddled around inside the plugin code, but can’t figure out how to not exclude sticky articles.

If anyone is curious, I am trying to make it so that sticky articles will appear differently (actually show the body of the article vs. the permlinked title) in the category list by using the wet_if_status plugin inside the adi_cat_menu_articles form. I just need to get over this Sticky roadblock first!

#46 2009-07-09 18:06:19

photonomad
Website

Ok… I just threw out the Sticky idea and created a custom field to use instead.

Now I am wondering how to alter the wraptags so that I can use the output of this plugin with a vertical jquery menu. The category names would need to be wrapped in a <dt></dt> and then adi_cat_menu would output the list of articles in the regular unordered list within <dd></dd> tags.

example of the type of list I am going for: http://www.stunicholls.com/menu/jquery-slide-1.html#url

)

#47 2009-07-09 23:42:25

gomedia
Plugin Author

photonomad wrote:

This is a great plugin.

Thanks, glad you find it useful.

I am curious if there is a way to get the plugin to also include articles that are Sticky?

On a quick glance, I think this would require a major change to the code but is possibly doable.

#48 2009-07-09 23:47:56

gomedia
Plugin Author

photonomad wrote:

Ok… I just threw out the Sticky idea and created a custom field to use instead.

Phew.

Now I am wondering how to alter the wraptags so that I can use the output of this plugin with a vertical jquery menu. The category names would need to be wrapped in a <dt></dt> and then adi_cat_menu would output the list of articles in the regular unordered list within <dd></dd> tags.

Sounds feasible. I’ll have a ponder on the subject …

Board footer