Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-06-09 19:42:50

garbo
Website

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site (and other IE issues)

If something like this happens to you, don’t panic.

I received this error message when testing dynamic sections of my client’s site in Internet Explorer. For a while, I couldn’t figure out what could be the problem. All other browsers seemed to render the permanent articles properly. Except Explorer. My presumption was that IE was the problem. Why not? Internet Explorer has always been a source of frustration for web designers and developers with its idiosyncrasies and proprietary craziness.

You may do a search on your particular problem with IE and Textpattern, but you’ll probably come up short. That’s because IE has a pesky problem in that it is terribly strict in parsing the syntax of your code. While most browsers tend to be more tolerant to badly formatted code, basically understanding what you meant to write, IE will throw up an error message and lock you out of the page.

In my experience, 90% of the problems most Textpattern developers encounter with pages that won’t work or choke on errors can be attributed to the embarrassingly simple syntax error. You know. A missing slash, angle bracket, quotation mark or colon that causes your entire page to break. IE is particularly irritable about this and tends to overreact to the most innocuous of typos. In fact, most website blowups are a result of syntax errors whatever coding, markup or scripting language you use.

I missed a slash on a closing span tag in the article form. How embarrassing. Only IE picked it up.

Before searching high and low for answers to what seems to be a vexing problem, try to localize the error. When and where does the page break? Then very judiciously go back over your markup, templates and forms and comb through to see if you missed something as simple as a slash or quote or improperly placed markup tag. Chances are, your fix is right there.

#2 2009-06-09 22:23:21

nabrown78
Website

Re: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site (and other IE issues)

Validating your page can help pinpoint the error.

Board footer