Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-06-08 18:52:11

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

.htaccess recognition

I’m currently working on a new site. It is located in a sub-domain of the main site. Initially it didn’t have a domain name so was being accessed simply using the sub-domain URL of the main site. It has it’s own domain name now but when this was first used we were getting a server error for the front-page. Accessing Textpattern admin was fine though. We couldn’t figure out where the problem was so a call to the hosting company was made.

Their explanation was that we couldn’t use .htaccess files with identical names. We needed to rename the one in the sub-directory to .htaccess1 and if we used any more sub-directories with their own domains we would need to continue that process so .htaccess2, .htaccess3 etc.

Now I have to say that this worked and there is absolutely no problem with the site at all however, in Diagnostics” it tells me that the .htaccess file is missing, which it isn’t, which leads me to suppose that the “checking mechanism” is only looking for .htaccess and doesn’t see variations.

Is this something that could be remedied?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2009-06-08 21:54:16

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: .htaccess recognition

That’s absolutely bizarre. What reason (if any) do they give for this naming requirement?

#3 2009-06-08 22:51:08

artagesw
Website

I have never heard of such a requirement. What host is this?

#4 2009-06-09 05:22:49

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

thebombsite wrote:

Is this something that could be remedied?

Easy. There’s a lot of capable web hosts out there.

#5 2009-06-09 14:12:01

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Mary wrote:

That’s absolutely bizarre. What reason (if any) do they give for this naming requirement?

I have no idea. It’s not my host so it wasn’t me making the call. I must say I haven’t come across this before and I’m presuming it has to be something with the way that they have set up the server, never-the-less the remedy ie .htaccess1 works perfectly. As they were very quick to point out the remedy I would also suggest that it is something that they have deliberately set up on the server.

I’m just wondering if anyone else might have this problem elsewhere.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-06-09 14:14:04)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer