Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-06-02 11:31:00

feytus

Help on making custom theme

Hey people! I installed textpattern today, and it looks pretty decent, so I’ve decided to try to build a website with it as a core. Now, I’m pretty new to CSS (I used to design with tables back in the day), and have run into some problems. Basically, I don’t want a header on my site, but I want a graphic header-like thing to be shown to the left of the site (with no margins at all, left nor top). So I removed the header from the html, and edited the css of the leftbar to load my graphic as a background image. Problem now is, I only want the last part of the background image to repeat itself, so I chose to put the image straight into the html (as I don’t know if it will work with two background images in one div, nor how to put one div or box directly under another, css still confuse me a great deal). Now however, the image appears, but with quite huge margins on both top and left, even though I specified margins 0px in sidebar-1’s css, and also in the body-tags css. I look into the html code and see some code I don’t recognize, which through my wisywig html-viewer seems to be the code that fucks up the looks;

<!— accessibility —>
<div id=“accessibility”> <ul> <li><a href=”#content”><txp:text item=“go_content” /></a></li> <li><a href=”#sidebar-1”><txp:text item=“go_nav” /></a></li> <li><a href=”#sidebar-2”><txp:text item=“go_search” /></a></li> </ul>
</div>

What exactly does the accessibility-thing do?

Here is a link to how it looks right now;

http://www.marsmelons.com/textpattern/

I basically just want three parts. Leftpart with graphic, middlepart with content, and right part with navigation, and the site to be left-alligned. But I can’t seem to find which kind of code to edit. This is the css-file;

[code]body
{ top-margin: 0px; left-margin: 0px; padding: 0; font-family: Verdana, “Lucida Grande”, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #000; background-color: #fff;
}

blockquote, h3, p, li
{ padding-right: 10px; padding-left: 10px; font-size: 0.9em; line-height: 1.6em;
}

blockquote
{ margin-right: 0; margin-left: 0px;
}

h1, h2, h3
{ margin: 0 0 15px 0; padding: 0 10px; font-weight: normal;
}

h1, h2
{ font-family: Georgia, Times, serif;
}

h1
{ font-size: 1.4em;
}

h2
{ font-size: 1em; font-style: italic;
}

hr
{ margin: 2em auto; width: 370px; height: 1px; color: #7a7e7d; background-color: #7a7e7d; border: none;
}

small, .small
{ font-size: 0.9em;
}

a
{ text-decoration: none; color: #000; border-bottom: 1px #000 solid;
}

a img
{ border: none;
}

h1 a, h2 a, h3 a
}

h3 a
{ font: 1.5em Georgia, Times, serif;
}

#site-name a
}

#sidebar-2 a, #sidebar-1 a
{ color: #c00; border: none;
}

#accessibility
{ position: absolute; top: -10000px;
}

#container
{ margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 760px; \width: 770px; w\idth: 760px;
}

#head
{ text-align: center;
}

#sidebar-1
{ width: 435px; height: 100%; margin-right: 5px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; float: left; text-align: right;

}

#sidebar-2
{ margin-left: 5px; float: right;
}

.section_list
{ margin: 0 0 10px 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none;
}

.section_list ul
{ list-style-type: none;
}

.section_list li
{ margin: 0 10px 2px 0; padding: 0;
}

#content
{ margin: 0 155px; padding-top: 30px;
}

#foot
{ margin-top: 5px; clear: both; text-align: center;
}

#sidebar-2 p, #sidebar-1 p
{ font-size: 0.8em; line-height: 1.5em;
}

.caps
{ font-size: 0.9em; letter-spacing: 0.1em;
}

div.divider
{ margin: 2em 0; text-align: center;
}

.directory
{ list-style-type: circle;
}

.author
{ font-style: normal; font-size: 0.8em;
}

.published
{ font-size: 0.8em;
}

.comments_error
{ color: #000; background-color: #fff4f4;
}

ul.comments_error
{ padding: 0.3em; list-style-type: circle; list-style-position: inside; border: 2px solid #fdd;
}

div#cpreview
{ color: #000; background-color: #f1f1f1; border: 2px solid #ddd;
}

form#txpCommentInputForm td
{ vertical-align: top;
}

#comments-help
{ margin: 2px 0 15px 0; font-size: 0.7em;
}

.error-status
{ font: 1.3em Georgia, Times, serif;
}[/code]

Any help? :)

#2 2009-06-02 14:50:27

mrdale
Website

Re: Help on making custom theme

make a Photoshop wireframe or mockup showing what you’re after and you might get more help. It’s not hard though. a quick google got me this

#3 2009-06-02 15:01:58

feytus

Thanks, man. It was written in a fog of frustration and confusion, I’ve figured out something that might work now. Many thanks for your reply, though. :)

#4 2009-06-03 10:22:07

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

One thing I’d recommend is downloading a theme or 2 from textgarden and seeing how they’re put together / how they work. You can learn a lot that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Board footer