Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-05-18 22:01:55

michnoff

Basics For Creating Custom Themes?

Hey TxP users! When I first learned how to use Wordpress, it was easy to find a guide to learning how to create custom themes… but im struggling a little bit trying to find something similar for TxP. If anyone could point me in the correct direction, or give me a little starter lesson themselves, that would be amazing.

Thanks so much!

#2 2009-05-19 05:19:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Basics For Creating Custom Themes?

Hi michnoff
Go To Admin>preferences->Advanced and just give names to the custom fields. You can call them in your pages by using the <txp:if_custom_field> and <txp:custom_field> tags. The tag reference might be of help to you.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2009-05-19 05:33:31

maverick
Website

michnoff

colak’s is very knowledgeable, but I think he misread your question. His instructions are useful for you to learn, but probably won’t help much with custom themes . . . . unless maybe you are doing something very advanced :-) I’m sure he’ll catch that he misread your question and correct his answer.

In the meantime, if you are able to do basic x/html and css, you can create pretty much any custom theme you want. TextBook will help get you started on what Textpattern tags you can use in your themes.

Just as a quick primer: most often around here templates seems to be the preferred terminology for the “front end” part of the website, and theme for the administrative or back end of the website.

The svn has new theming support in progress for the back end. For importing/exporting templates, versioning, etc. there are plugins. But the basic way for managing your website’s template or theme, is by setting up a section and assigning it a “page” and a css file. A CSS file is exactly that. A page in the most basic sense, is your x/html code, txp tags, javascript, php, or anything else you are including.

Take a look at textbook and then ask more questions to help us know how to help you.

Mike

Last edited by maverick (2009-05-19 05:36:17)

#4 2009-05-19 15:56:54

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

maverick wrote:

but I think he misread your question.

Ooops yes i did. I’m in athens at the moment. Did not sleep last night preparing for a presentation.Traveling to another destination tomorrow.

Ignore my earlier post. check this instead. Going for more coffee now:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer