Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2009-02-23 20:39:28

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: adi_cat_menu – Category & article menu

Exiladler wrote:

using <txp:adi_cat_menu sort=“parent” /> shows it in a different sort order.

Hi Exiladler. It’s a bit misleading but sort="parent" means “sort according to the category’s parent’s name” not “sort the parents”.

Besides, forgetting about the sort order for the moment, you’re probably seeing something like:

• Parent-Cat 3
  • Child Cat 1
    • Article 1
    • Article 2
  • Child Cat 3
    • Article 1
    • Article 2
  • Parent-Cat 2
  • Child Cat 2
    • Article 1
    • Article 2
  • Parent-Cat 1
  • etc…

Is that the problem?

#26 2009-03-02 17:10:58

Exiladler
Website

Hi,

Well at the moment I have reduced it and only use parent=childcat1

I move it up, it shows no hierarchy, it just lists them all on one level

I use it in a form :

<txp:article_custom status=“sticky” form=“single” />

<li><txp:adi_cat_menu sort=“parent” parent=“ChildCat1” menu_id=“menubar” sort=“name” />
</li>

this shows me article 1, article 2 and article 3 (can I custom sort them ?)

When I change it “ParentCat”, I get all article in the list, not a tiered list, any clues, have a look at the live site URL: http://www.freshstartliving.com/opportunities/

#27 2009-03-02 21:08:35

gomedia
Plugin Author

Exiladler wrote:

Well at the moment I have reduced it and only use parent=childcat1 I move it up, it shows no hierarchy, it just lists them all on one level.

Not quite sure what you mean. Using our Parent-Cat/Child-Cat example above, what happens?

I use it in a form :

<txp:article_custom status=“sticky” form=“single” />

<li><txp:adi_cat_menu sort=“parent” parent=“ChildCat1” menu_id=“menubar” sort=“name” />
</li>

adi_cat_menu will generate the <ul> & <li>, so you don’t need to add them yourself. Also, you’ve got sort="parent" AND sort="name".

this shows me article 1, article 2 and article 3 (can I custom sort them ?)

To sort the articles you need to pass a sort attribute to the <txp:article_custom/> tag that adi_cat_menu uses internally, e.g. article_attr='sort="name"'. Have a look at the plugin help for more details.

When I change it “ParentCat”, I get all article in the list, not a tiered list, any clues, have a look at the live site URL: http://www.freshstartliving.com/opportunities/

I’ve had a look but again I’m not quite sure what you mean. Using our Parent-Cat/Child-Cat example above, what does it look like?

#28 2009-03-03 08:36:30

Si
Website

Thanks, Adi! It works great!!

#29 2009-05-09 00:31:12

floodfish
Website

I am using this with rss_unlimited_categories 0.7.4p4 and getting a list of the categories, but not the articles listed under them. Any ideas what might be wrong?

#30 2009-05-10 08:15:53

gomedia
Plugin Author

floodfish wrote:

I am using this with rss_unlimited_categories 0.7.4p4 and getting a list of the categories, but not the articles listed under them. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Have you set up the articles form correctly? From the plugin help:

To use with rss_unlimited_categories, create a new form of type “article”, called adi_cat_menu_rss_articles, and fill it with:
<li>
<txp:rss_sct_permlink><txp:title/></txp:rss_sct_permlink>
</li>

#31 2009-05-11 18:28:10

floodfish
Website

Yes, I set up that the articles form exactly as specified. It just makes a list of category names, but no article titles.

rss_unlimited_categories_related isn’t working for me, either. It brings up a list of related articles, but won’t display the category name by which they’re related. Very frustrating!!!

(I tried disabling some potentially conflicting plugins, but haven’t found anything that helps.)

#32 2009-05-19 07:24:53

jpdupont

Hello Adi,
Is it possible to get an option to remove the link over category name ?

Like this :

//$out[] = ‘<a href=”’.$cat_url.’”>’.$title.’</a>’;
$out[] = $title;

#33 2009-05-19 20:01:51

jpdupont

Is it possible to filter by category1 and/or category2 ? I want to be allowed to list articles by category1 or category2.

#34 2009-05-20 04:54:15

gomedia
Plugin Author

floodfish wrote:

Yes, I set up that the articles form exactly as specified. It just makes a list of category names, but no article titles.

I sent you an email requesting some diagnostics but in the meantime this works for me:

<txp:adi_cat_menu parent="alphabet" sort="title asc" article_attr='sortby="title" sortdir="asc"' rss_unlimited="1" />

where “alphabet” is the parent category & the output is categories “a, b, c” together with their articles.

#35 2009-05-20 04:59:21

gomedia
Plugin Author

jpdupont wrote:

Is it possible to get an option to remove the link over category name ?

I would think so!

Is it possible to filter by category1 and/or category2 ? I want to be allowed to list articles by category1 or category2.

Let me look into it.

#36 2009-06-05 08:22:51

floodfish
Website

Sorry for the long silence—I’ve been cleaning up a bunch of other stuff on the site, and just came back to this. I’m not sure if something I fixed elsewhere unbroke the problem I was having here or if I was just doing things wrong, but now it works!

The sample code Adi provided works just fine, and was a great starting point towards tweaking most of what I needed.

My problem now is that the urls are wrong. The links default to “/category/category-name”, but I am using a section called “categories”, not category.

Is this path/section adjustable via the plugin as it now stands? The “section” attribute won’t work, as I don’t want to restrict my list of articles to the “categories” section (there are no articles in it!).

Perhaps it’s a fix related to jpdupont’s request to get an option to remove the links on category names? (which I would also find useful!)

Board footer