Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-27 16:52:52

danwoodward
Website

Web Optimizer Plugin

Does anyone have any interest in throwing together a little plugin for the Web Optimizer . It’d be nice to have Textpattern listed under “Supported systems”.

I got the Web Optimizer setup on my server, but the last step is to integrate with your chosen php app, and that’s where I gracefully bow out.

Here is the instructions for the last step. Could this be made into a plugin of sorts without modifying core files?

How to modify your PHP file

Let's say we are modifying the wp-blog-header.php of a Wordpress blog. (This is just an example: if you want to add Web Optimizer to Wordpress you can use the Web Optimizer WP plugin). At the very top of the page you might see something like this:

<?php
if (! isset($wp_did_header)):
?>

We need to add in the Web Optimizer code before that. So you would add this to the very top of the page:

<?php
require('/PATH/TO/web-optimizer/web.optimizer.php');
?>

Finally, we must then add one more line of code to the very bottom of the page as follows:

<?php
$web_optimizer->finish();
?>

Last edited by danwoodward (2009-04-27 18:19:17)

#2 2009-04-27 17:36:16

TheEric
Plugin Author

Re: Web Optimizer Plugin

Why? Mod_gzip does an excellent job without resorting to processor intensive PHP.

#3 2009-04-27 18:05:45

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

<txp:php>
require('/home/6440/domains/downtownmusic.dwstudio.org/html/web-optimizer/web.optimizer.php');
</txp:php>

[…]

<txp:php>
$web_optimizer->finish();
</txp:php>

Add this to the start and the footer of your page templates, respectively. Ready? Now add Textpattern CMS to the list of supported CMSs.

#4 2009-04-27 18:18:43

danwoodward
Website

Right, ok, with that said, and TheEric’s comment, is there actually any validity to any of the features of the Web Optimizer that aren’t already met by mod_gzip (or “php_value output_handler ob_gzhandler” if mod_gzip module is not on the server)? I mean is there a need for minified HTML if its gzipped?

#5 2009-05-01 18:06:26

sunnybear
Website

Guys. I’m glad that you are interested in Web Optimizer. It does not only gzip (but gzip via .htaccess directives — of course they are the best choice). If Apache doesn’t support mod_deflate + mod_filter / mod_gzip PHP does all dirty work. Initiall yproject was based on PHP Speedy but right now it differs by 90% from this plugin.

Also it merges ‘on fly’ all CSS / JS files and do some CSS Sprites (really innovative technique, I haven’t seen any other working example). Also it can add unobtrusive JS load… And so on. So it is a complex tool to speed up your website at maxium (based of course on YSlow, etc).

I will be happy if anybody can participate somehow in testing & development. You can contact me at
http://code.google.com/p/web-optimizator/

P.S. you need to include call to Web Optimzier main file (web.optimizer.php) before starting to output HTML and $web_optimizer->finish() right after all content is formed. Web OPtimzier will parse HTML and do it’s work the best.

#6 2009-05-01 21:31:35

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Used wet’s advice but get this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function finish() on a non-object in /home/u71717/site.ru/www/textpattern/publish/taghandlers.php(3097) : eval()’d code on line 2

Earlier web-optimisator was installed succesfully…

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#7 2009-05-12 22:39:43

sunnybear
Website

Guys! New version (in SVN) now supports Textpattern. But you can wait for approved 0.4.6 release — and download it. It will be tested through default Textpattern website.

I’ve noticed that CSS are combined somehow with PHP help. It’s very sad… It should be a static file, not dynamic one — we can put down the server w/o any caching headers for dynamic CSS file…

So Web Optimizer now handles this case properly. Also it automatically updates index.php with directives — you should only make index.php writable for it.

#8 2009-05-13 00:53:50

danwoodward
Website

Just a note, although textpattern does have the default option of storing the css file in the database, I never use that functionality. It just doesn’t make sense, for editing or performance. I would venture to say that a lot of txp devs and designers keep their css files static, along with their js.

#9 2009-05-13 01:01:26

maniqui
Website

That’s why rvm_css was created.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2009-05-14 04:29:17

TheEric
Plugin Author

I personally don’t see the use in this. It might save a few ms here and there, but ultimately at the expense of server CPU. PHP isn’t all that efficient, and adding another layer of processing on top of everything else is a recipe for inefficiency. Stick with mod_gzip and you’ll be better off.

#11 2009-05-20 17:12:56

sunnybear
Website

@TheEric: I’m very sorry if you don’t know about clientside optimization. It’s not just GZIP. Please, Yahoo! published their rules — and almost all of them are implemented in Web Optimizer
http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

Default CMS can be accelerated by 3-5 times only in a few clicks. And this is reality. Web Optimizer adds about 3-5% to the current HTML page generation time (after all caching files have been created) but it’s resulted in 1-5s gain for users for each page. This is especially important for e-commerce websites where every ms can be valuable.

#12 2009-05-21 12:58:18

TheEric
Plugin Author

@sunnybear: at the expense of CPU cycles. Yes yes. We know this already.

TXP isn’t bloated like WP and doesn’t require these cute little tricks.

Board footer