Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-04-16 12:18:41

carbide

Javascript issues with Galleria/upm_image

I’m following the TXP tips instructions and have been going in circles trying to figure out what’s going wrong.

I have used jquery.min 1.2.3, after trying the current release and not seeing any improvement when I switched @rel to rel. The .js files are both in the right directory, as far as I can tell. Neither of the .js files seem to be called at all. The galleria.css file is working fine. upm_image seems to be working fine, too.

This page (user/pass: lisa/lisa) is showing the problem – the CSS is producing the thumbnails, but there is no Javascript going on, no main image, no action on clicking the thumbnails.

I can understand (I think) how Galleria works on a freestanding list, and I am following (again, I think!) the upm_image implementation, and I think I am linking to both Javascript files correctly. One of those things must be wrong – I would be very grateful if anyone could offer me a suggestion!

#2 2009-04-16 12:45:53

keith
Website

Re: Javascript issues with Galleria/upm_image

Don’t you need a slash in front of the paths to the JS files?:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery.min.js"></script> 
<script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery.galleria.js"></script>

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#3 2009-04-16 13:13:16

carbide

keith wrote:

Don’t you need a slash in front of the paths to the JS files?:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery.min.js"></script> 
<script type="text/javascript" src="/jquery.galleria.js"></script>

Sorry, yep, I had been messing around with different permutations to try to figure out what was wrong. The slashes are back in place, but it’s still not working.

#4 2009-04-16 15:05:46

jakob
Admin
Website

Looks like a copy-past error as you are targetting a gallery that is not there – you have this in your js:

$('ul.gallery').galleria()

but this as the class name for your div:

<ul class="galleria">

so you need to make it $('ul.galleria').galleria()

Apart from that you should definitely try and clear up your validation errors and txp form errors first (plentiful but simple to resolve – things like missing trailing slashes and block elements such as headings inside inline elements such as span). Both yourself and javascript will have an easier time navigating your code.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2009-04-16 15:38:06

carbide

Thanks jakob, I’ve started clearing up those errors – this is a bit of a learning process for me so it’s embarrassing to be showing all the mistakes. I realise the messiness is not going to make it easier to locate problems.

I fixed the JS to target ‘galleria’, but that didn’t resolve it either, I’m afraid.

#6 2009-04-16 18:18:07

jakob
Admin
Website

No matter about the errors. If you change a lot of the spans to divs that will rid you of most the errors (e.g. h3, ul etc. shouldn’t go inside a span but they can go inside a div):

Then check your javascript notation carefully against the original instructions or the demo pages as I think you have a syntax error. Usually going back to first principles, then progressively adding back your own stuff testing continually helps to find the error:

<script type="text/javascript">
        jQuery(function($) { 
              $('ul.galleria').galleria(); 
        }); 
    </script>

There’s a forum thread on adding the active class here in an independent script section:

$(document).ready(function() {
              $("ul.galleria li:first").addClass('active');
        });
    </script>

Thinking about it you can also add your class=“active” manually by calling upm_article_image twice, the first time with limit="1" with <li class="active"> in your form and the second time with offset="1" with normal <li> to continue listing the remaining images.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#7 2009-04-16 18:30:52

jstubbs
Website

Hi carbide,

I implemented Galleria a little differently from the TXP Tip article, but I can’t remember exactly what I changed…might remember by helping you…

I have this in my page:

$(document).ready(function(){
$("ul.galleria li:first").addClass('active');
});
</script>

On my page I also call the JS that is featured on the advanced demo Galleria page.

#8 2009-04-17 11:52:29

carbide

jakob and jstubbs, thank you so much for your help and patience. It was a syntax error, and I realised in the process that I was linking the wrong stylesheet too.

Board footer