Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-03-21 17:30:45

FireFusion

[contrib] New default admin theme

With the release of 4.0.9 containing the ability to switch admin themes don’t you all think TXP is look overdue for a new default theme? There will also be the classic look for the die hards.

We could try and convince a well know designer like Jon Hicks to come up with something. It would certainly bring more interest to TXP.

#2 2009-03-21 17:37:55

els

Re: [contrib] New default admin theme

FireFusion wrote:

don’t you all think TXP is look overdue for a new default theme?

No :) I realize there are many users who don’t like the current default admin theme (I happen to like it), but change the default theme and there will be others who don’t like it. What’s the use? Especially if it will be so easy to switch?

#3 2009-03-21 17:40:04

jstubbs
Website

I agree with Els. The current theme can be kept on as “classic” and be the default, then let the user decide what he/she wants to do.

#4 2009-03-21 18:11:53

RedFox
Website

The default is great! Minimal and modern at all times … :)

#5 2009-03-21 19:16:55

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Overdue? Yes, I concur! As do others.

But the only way a new default theme is going to come to fruition is if you make it. Mr. Hicks already has his hands full. Wet has opened the door for anybody to make a new and better theme. If one of them is good enough, then we would have solid grounds for advocating its inclusion as one of the pre-installed themes.

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#6 2009-03-21 20:36:50

rsilletti

I prefer the default theme, I have never felt the need to change it. The new choices, however, are an especially nice touch and exceptionally easy to use – nicely done!

#7 2009-03-21 21:53:09

masa

I’m all for themeing, but the default should stay as it is: it’s space efficient and logically organised. Changing that would only confuse end-users and possibly result in a series of questions that the site creators would need to answer; I can do without that ;-)

That said, I think the classic theme would need to be tweaked gently to accommodate whatever comes out of the current redesign of the Textpattern logo.

Last edited by masa (2009-03-21 21:56:03)

#8 2009-03-21 22:28:22

keith
Website

masa wrote:

I’m all for themeing, but the default should stay as it is: it’s space efficient and logically organised.

+ 1.

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#9 2009-03-21 22:37:57

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

masa wrote:

I’m all for themeing, but the default should stay as it is: it’s space efficient and logically organised.

I vote for growing areas for forms editing :)

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#10 2009-03-22 08:57:22

saccade
Plugin Author

masa wrote:

the default should stay as it is: it’s space efficient and logically organised.

+1

And I want to add another point: Excellent documentation is a much more valuable benefit to advance Textpattern. Here we gained a lot but I think we have to improve still. A new default theme would certainly throw us back there, at least having to re-do a lot of things instead of adding missing points – and most of us have a finite amount of time.

I think while the Textpattern tree grows and sprouts we should carefully keep some (our) roots.
I also care about improving interest, and the idea of course is attractive – but interest based on cool designs easily will be beaten by the next (superficial) CMS coming on the market.

If you let users choose the shiny designs as a second step they’ll even more notice the versatile power of Textpattern. That will be more effective than just a good first impression.

Last edited by saccade (2009-03-22 08:59:42)

#11 2009-03-22 09:09:39

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

The Classic theme will continue to serve as a default theme in 4.0.9. We will distribute a small set of alternative themes with the product, mainly as a showcase/guideline for the themeing capability.

#12 2009-06-30 00:12:53

bici
Website Mastodon

FireFusion wrote:

With the release of 4.0.9 containing the ability to switch admin themes don’t you all think TXP is look overdue for a new default theme? There will also be the classic look for the die hards.

We could try and convince a well know designer like Jon Hicks to come up with something. It would certainly bring more interest to TXP.

i really wanted to instal Jon Hicks’s admin Theme that was apparently borked when 4.06 came along.

has this problem been fixed? Can we install his admin_theme on 4.0.8?

…. texted postive

Board footer