Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2009-03-20 16:58:00

hakjoon
Website

Re: [contrib] Textpattern on Rails

That would be great. The thing I like about TXP is the CMS implementation not the language. Seeing it in a bunch of languages would be awesome.

I’m on this fence between Ruby and Python currently. I want to pick one of them up to complement the other languages I know and can’t make up my mind. TXP on Rails would definitely sway me. But as Dale knows all too well my contributing time just keeps getting smaller.

The one thing PHP still has is ease of deployment. TXP’s low requirements really help in being able to deploy it anywhere. Sadly Rails or Python aren’t there yet, but it’s getting better.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#26 2009-03-20 22:27:53

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

FCGI and reverse proxies were the killer for setting up Rails apps, but since Passenger and REE became mainstream, mongrels that would eat up memory and complicated God instances that would restart mongrel servers after they went over a pre-set memory threshold are a thing of the past.

#27 2009-03-21 14:06:45

candyman

It would be an element of distinction from all that WPish stuff . But it would need an entire RoR development team rather than one brave man…

Support for change.

We can ;)

#28 2009-03-21 17:19:30

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

I was thinking the same thing once candyman, but since going Agile I have realized that it’s no longer the case. A single man can do more damage than you would think, mainly if he has a clear vision and gets real, works only on the minimum set of requirements. For example, users need to be able post comments. That’s the requirement. We have disqus for that. This is just one example, there are plenty more. Offloading (delegating) a lot of the stuff to services like those is what will get Textpattern on Rails up and running in no time at all.

#29 2009-03-23 14:53:29

hakjoon
Website

gerhard wrote:

FCGI and reverse proxies were the killer for setting up Rails apps, but since Passenger and REE became mainstream, mongrels that would eat up memory and complicated God instances that would restart mongrel servers after they went over a pre-set memory threshold are a thing of the past.

It’s definitely significantly easier, but it’s still not as ubiquitous as say a cPanel host. I can roll out TXP on any $5 host without really worrying about it, which is nice.

Of course that’s not a reason to not develop a ROR version. Having a product develop in various directions can be good as different groups come up with different ideas, which can be incorporated by the other teams.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#30 2009-03-24 11:33:03

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah, I’m ditching cPanel and setting everything up myself on a bare-bones VPS. cPanel is one of the most horrid things out there, right after Plesk. I don’t know a single control panel that just works, most of the time they only get in the way. Still, I see your point, but this version is not any version, it’s the more sophisticated one for people that really use Textpattern – usually for higher-end stuff ; ).

#31 2010-01-06 12:55:16

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

I don’t really want a rails txp because rails is quite particular about it’s hosting, and I like my current php hosting provider/solution. What I would like, is a netbeans plugin similar to what Drupal have, to make it easier for people to develop the cms and plugins..

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

Board footer