Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-02-26 10:22:01

Destry
Website

[resolved] Default comments behavior?

In a new site with 4.0.8, I’ve noticed a couple of things with the default comment build.

First, in the comment form, if a web address is not added, the persons name becomes a mail address link instead. I can even see the persons email address in the browser’s hover information (lower-left of chrome). If commenters can see each others’ email addresses in this manner, then it’s not respecting email privacy, even if bots are blind.

A more appropriate handling, IMO, is to just leave the persons name unlinked if there’s no web URL provided. This seems to be the intuitive norm on many comments I visit elsewhere. Make the email address viewable to the site owner in the Comments panel list, perhaps as a popup when a “email” cell in the table is clicked. (Ed. — if not just directly in the cell to begin with.)

By the way, how is the “email” search option in the Comments panel supposed to work if you don’t know what anyone’s email is?

Second, and this might be something I did wrong but can’t seem to verify, when a person adds a comment, the comment form disappears, replaced with the message “Thank you for adding your comment.” To get the form back, you have to reclick the article’s title, which is not at all intuitive. It’s not unusual for a commenter to want to make two posts in a row (for various reasons). Normal behavior is to leave the comment form in view so this it’s readily available in such situations. I think simply showing the thank you message at the top of the form would work well. People can style the message as desired and users still have direct access to the form.

OK, point me to my errors and stupidity because I need to have this functionality in a current project.

Last edited by Destry (2009-02-26 11:15:43)

#2 2009-02-26 11:23:12

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: [resolved] Default comments behavior?

Destry wrote:

First, in the comment form, if a web address is not added, the persons name becomes a mail address link instead.

Preferences > Advanced > Hide e-mail address? [x]

By the way, how is the “email” search option in the Comments panel supposed to work if you don’t know what anyone’s email is?

Not at all ;-)

#3 2009-02-26 11:32:32

Destry
Website

wet wrote:

Preferences > Advanced > Hide e-mail address? [x]

I knew there was a viper in the bush somewhere. :)

With regard to that second observation of keeping the form in view. I think a nice alternative would be if the thank you message were editable so you could put a link to refresh the form. For example: Thank you for your comment. If you would like to post again, refresh the form.

In this case, perhaps the “refresh” link is an anchor to the form’s ID so they are just right back at the form again. Where do I edit the thank you message?

#4 2009-02-26 11:36:14

Destry
Website

While I have you on the line…

If I use wet_commentmagic for urls, can a person still use textile link syntax for custom labels?

It appears this is the case, but I notice an extra dot is added to the magic versions. But I’ll go mention that in the right thread. :)

Last edited by Destry (2009-02-26 11:48:55)

#5 2009-02-26 14:02:00

Destry
Website

Destry wrote:

Where do I edit the thank you message?

If I can just find this, I’m home free.

#6 2009-02-26 14:07:00

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

SELECT *
FROM `txp_lang`
WHERE `name` = 'comment_posted'

Sorry…

#7 2009-02-26 14:45:55

Destry
Website

OK, so I think what you’re telling me is the message is in the DB and that’s the sql to get to it.

If true, could I edit the message to read: Thank you for your comment. If you would like to post again, refresh the form.

Where code under the refresh link would be…

<a href="<txp:site_url /><txp:section />/<txp:article_id />/<txp:article_url_title />#txpCommentInputForm">refresh</a>

You see?

I’m trying to get it so in the event someone does want to post a second (or more) comment(s), they click a link (clearly refresh here) and are taken to the <form id="txpCommentInputForm"> anchor in context of the article, which will reshow the comment form without having to go up and click the article title (not intuitive).

I’m guessing this will work, and it won’t actually point to <p id="txpCommentInputForm">, but maybe someone can verify.

#8 2009-02-26 14:48:22

Destry
Website

Is sed_comment_pack the way to handle all this?

#9 2009-02-26 17:38:37

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

OK, so I think what you’re telling me is the message is in the DB and that’s the sql to get to it.

Yes it is. And every change you make there will be superseded by subsequent language updates from the Textpattern language server. So you’ve got to be extra careful if you go that route as otherwise your customisations will be wiped out during updates.

#10 2009-02-26 20:23:44

Destry
Website

Thanks. Yeah, I was beginning to see the headache. This is not going to be a viable solution.

#11 2009-02-27 03:50:12

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Destry, I would use one of those plugins that handles $_GET variables (I think smd_if is one of them) and wrap it around your comment form. Test for commented equalling 0 or 1 (not just for it’s existence, since -1 means a comment was posted, but it’s spam, and you don’t really want to make it easier for them to comment again…).

#12 2009-02-27 07:33:33

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I was beginning to see the headache. This is not going to be a viable solution.

wet_babble to the rescue. HTH.

Board footer