Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-12-30 17:12:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [request] Bounty: Update MDP Calendar

joebaich wrote:

Though the USD is ailing, the GBP (Gordy Broon’s Pund) is ailing even more.

Hehe, and don’t we know it…! Many thanks for the offer of some cash for this. Something from the wishlist is equally cool if you’d prefer.

OT, I have a suspicion the central bankers are *cough* ‘helping’ this economic downfall with massive fiat currency injections, stock market manipulation and media rumour-mongering like they did in the 1900s. When GBP falls to 1:1 (or below, which is, ummm, about now) against the Euro the top brass will say “tut tut tut, well the pound’s worthless now. No point having a referendum that we know will result in rejection… might as well take the Euro, eh?”

From there, it’s not a huge step to: “oh look, all world currencies have collapsed. Best swap them all out for the Universal MegaDollar, which we’ll print and back with more fresh air. By the way, a loaf of bread is now 10 MegaDollars because we’ve carved all the food land up to grow biofuel for our huge government SUVs. Sorry an’ all that.”

/end party political broadcast by the So Long And Thanks For Nothing Party :-)

P.S. I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-12-30 20:11:07)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2008-12-30 17:53:42

mrdale
Website

word.

#27 2009-01-01 21:00:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mwuahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think mrdale’s “can it just do this…” is ready to rock n roll along with countless other new features. Across the six tags that make up this plugin there are no fewer than… deep breath… 86 90 attributes so you can tweak the plugin to the nth degree. But it’ll all hang together with virtually no attributes if you prefer, and deliver what I hope is complete calendar and event management under one roof. No hacks, no extensions, just plain TXP + one plugin.

The code is on its way to my willing volunteers/kind benefactors for their perusal. Based on their feedback and testing I’ll know if it does what I claim. Sit tight.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-01-04 21:54:04)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#28 2009-01-02 18:55:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I’ve just had an email from woof regarding this plugin and iCal which brings about an interesting use of the plugin. This is going in as Example 5 in the documentation but I thought I’d share it here as a great example of how one of the tags in the plugin can be used.

If you want to output your events in iCal format so other people can sync their calendars to yours, put something like this in a new Page template in its own Section:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:Gigs Calendar
PRODID:-//Apple Computer, Inc//iCal 1.5//EN
X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/London
<txp:smd_article_event form="icsitem" time="any"
section="gigs" limit="1000">
 BEGIN:VEVENT
 DTSTART:<txp:posted format="%Y%m%dT%H%i%s" />
 DTEND:<txp:expires format="%Y%m%dT%H%i%s" />
 SUMMARY:<txp:title />
 END:VEVENT
</txp:smd_article_event>
END:VCALENDAR

That will output an iCal-formatted gig list (repeated or otherwise). Thus, standard events show up and any recurring events (up to 10 per event using the defaults + attributes above) will be displayed as well. If you had a monthly gig at the Hound & Hare pub, your mates need never miss your eclectic mix of Rock and Bhangra again!

If you got freaky with it and added some conditional logic inside the template you could even read in URL variables and plug them in. Thus you could link to that section directly off the calendar itself, pass in the current section, category or event info that the visitor was browsing and have a customised iCal stream pumped out of Textpattern allowing your visitors to stay abreast of events that interest them when they take their laptop offline.

It’s calendarific.

Many thanks to woof for bringing the original David Emery article to my attention. Rock on.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-01-02 18:58:31)

#29 2009-01-04 04:33:53

mrdale
Website

Brilliant, gentlemen! Orders of magnitude more utility without asking. If you use this plugin think about contributing.

#30 2009-01-06 14:44:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Board footer