Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-09-03 13:20:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Another day, another browser

Oh crap, what have I done starting this thread…

Out of curiosity, by spyware do you mean that stupid “check for malware and phishing” thing which, thankfully, can be turned off? Or the related search thing perhaps? Or is there something else I’ve not spotted yet?

Mind you, if that’s the definition of spyware then google.com has it in spades when it tells you that rubbish about ‘this site may harm your computer’. And — if we’re being honest about it — I suppose targetted ads are a diluted form of spyware, albeit they claim they can’t identify an individual. Not that I ever notice the ads, nor ever clicked on one.

Just don’t get me started on ISPs that offer spam filters at the server level: a spy-tastic practice that should be abolished, imho.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-09-03 13:25:14)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2008-09-03 13:32:49

Neko

I was talking about this somewhere else.

#15 2008-09-03 13:35:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Eek, well spotted, thanks for the heads up.

/me digs out his copy of Wireshark…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#16 2008-09-03 14:25:31

Destry
Website

No worries, Bloke, I’m in good humor. :)

“Smug alert”. Fair shot, but seriously (and I wasn’t just talking to you, but the netizens, really) what IE remarks (or any other) can be made that haven’t already been made gi-zillions of times. It’s tiring to see, smug or not. There’s always new generations of learners, that’s true, but why fill their minds with needless malice (again, that’s general rhetoric, not specifically directed at you).

And not to be further smug, but I’m not surprised by spyware/data archiving/whatever possibilities from the Google giant and I would think trying the browser out would be a do-at-your-own-risk understanding, just like gmail or…take your pick. Where was the “praising,” exactly, besides liking the interface functionality and the browser’s respect to site designs?

Last edited by Destry (2008-09-03 14:29:35)

#17 2008-09-04 07:51:18

Destry
Website

Don’t know if anyone has bothered enough to notice, but chrome adds a drag region in the bottom-right corner of all textarea boxes. This is a huge nicety for back-office authoring in Textpattern, or any other textarea box in a web form. You can drag the article body and excerpt boxes (and keywords too) down and right to fill your screen or any dimension between that and default Txp size. If you’ve ever felt constrained in the default draft box sizes, like me, this should be a welcome suprise. Neither Firefox, Opera, nor Safari (assumingly, not at my Mac) provide this.

It’s very useful for this forum post box too. :)

#18 2008-09-04 08:22:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Neko wrote:

I was talking about this somewhere else.

haven’t downloaded it yet as I’m on mac but there seems to be other problems which include security issues such as:

The Chrome browser is designed to automatically update itself without user approval, Google said.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2008-09-05 15:29:40

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

As a web designer, no I’m not excited about test another browser. Just from what I’ve caught in RSS, seems like they still have plenty of work until it renders as prettily as Safari.

But after reading the comic explaining the motivation behind its development, they do have a good point. Today’s modern browsers are built on a slightly out-dated foundation – aimed at web browsing. But today’s web environment is becoming more geared to applications. By starting from scratch, Google can build a browser to better suit the present needs of its user base. I like that.

I think this is the first reaction to a new Google launch where the majority of the responses are negative. Maybe we’re beginning to view Google as a monopoly or Big Brother?

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#20 2008-09-08 08:14:07

musicmars
Website

I don’t wish to support or hate google but I am using it right now and yes it is fast. I had grown tired of using slow browsers on my slow isp but since I set it up yesterday, it has been a revelation.

#21 2008-09-08 09:01:37

Destry
Website

Two worthwhile reads:

Thanks to Reid and Arthur, respectively (elsewhere).

EDIT:

Cool. Just discovered the reality of the application shortcuts feature after getting through the Wired article. Go to something like gmail using Chrome. Click the “Create application shortcuts…” option under the window icon. A popup appears allowing you to select the shortcut type/place (e.g., desktop). Click the shortcut and the app opens up without browser chrome such as tabs, address bar, etc — simply the app in a leaner presentation like a desktop app. Not bad. (Chrome is benchmarked at 56 times faster than IE7 and 10 times faster than FF and Safari.) Crush IE indeed. I have to admit I’m now looking forward to the Mac version.

Last edited by Destry (2008-09-08 13:54:10)

#22 2008-12-22 08:04:07

mrtunes
Website

i think there are some benefits to chrome for textpattern. for example, firefox 3 has a horrible cache problem. so if i’m working on a few txp sites at once, weird things happen in my admin panels. chrome seems to deal with that caching a bit better, as well the text boxes are resizable so if i need some more space i just click and drag.

Board footer