Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-11-20 03:38:02

damienbuckley
Website

Assistance required with website database migration

I have a site re-development I am currently quoting for which has a lot of legacy content which the client would prefer not to have to re-enter. The existing site is a MySQL based CMS though I think its a home-spun system. If possible, I would like to import / migrate the existing content to Textpattern so I can crack on and develop the rest of the site. I have downloaded the existing database which can be forwarded to any interested parties for perusal and to quote the job.

#2 2008-11-20 07:46:50

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Assistance required with website database migration

Damien, just a suggestion:

If it’s an MySQL based site, you can export to excel using phpmyadmin, massage the data there to fit the txp setup and import with jmd_csv. See also this thread for more details.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2008-11-21 00:00:55

damienbuckley
Website

Thanks Jakob, I’ll give it a go.

#4 2008-11-21 00:08:31

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

There is information on migrating from other cms’s on textbook you may be able to massage your data to fit one of the examples given.

EDIT: Found another link on Textbook. Not sure which is best.

Last edited by MattD (2008-11-21 00:10:24)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#5 2008-11-21 00:12:34

damienbuckley
Website

MattD wrote:

There is information on migrating from other cms’s on textbook you may be able to massage your data to fit one of the examples given.

EDIT: Found another link on Textbook. Not sure which is best.

Thanks Matt but these articles only deal with importing from Wordpress / Blogger / b2 and Movable Type – mine is none of these.

#6 2008-11-21 00:43:45

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

If you can modify the output of the current CMS or export the data from MySql into the Blogger file format then you could use the import function.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#7 2008-11-21 00:46:16

damienbuckley
Website

MattD wrote:

If you can modify the output of the current CMS or export the data from MySql into the Blogger file format then you could use the import function.
Unfortunately its a home-spun CMS with no similarity to any of the importable formats hence the problem but thanks for the suggestions. Trying out jmd_csv right now but thats not liking me either.

Board footer