Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-11-06 01:56:25

kvnmcwebn
Website

exporting/importing txp db's(rant)

Im really frustrated with my inability to export and import txp databases successfully.
I just shifted a txp database with rss_db admin to from a subdomain to a full domain on the same server. All the image categories and ids got corrupted.

In theory its usually handier to build a beta on a local or test domain first then put it live but exporting the database.
But importing/exporting databases of txp installs is always so buggy for me, especially whe a few plug-ins are utilized in the install.

Can txp sites that use plug-ins be reliably exported/imported between local and web hosts and even just between domains on the same server?

Interested in how others approach this-maybe im going about it wrong?

-best kevin

Last edited by kvnmcwebn (2008-11-06 01:59:24)

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#2 2008-11-06 13:13:20

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Re: exporting/importing txp db's(rant)

I too had trouble trying to copy a txp database using the rss_db_admin plugin. Only the articles were imported properly, no pages, forms, styles, or preferences.

Thanks to Jonathan’s TXP Tips article I was able to get a local alternate Txp installation running on my Mac very quickly. His procedure employs exporting a database via your site’s control panel – using phpMyAdmin. Everything went smoothly for me, all the tables were copied over, including the plugins I had installed. I imagine that importing the same database to a subdomain would be just as successful, although I haven’t tried it out yet.

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#3 2008-11-06 13:58:53

kvnmcwebn
Website

thanks nemoorange – thats basically what ive been trying. excepet ive modified some of the mamp files, i will reinstall it and try again from scratch.

photogallery

#4 2008-11-06 20:44:39

jstubbs
Website

I should mention that I have only faced problems with DB exports/imports if the versions of MySQL are different, or if the export options are different in phpMyAdmin.

Recently, I exported a Db from MAMP and tried importing onto a Joyent server. It did not work until I changed the phpMyAdmin export options on MAMP to reflect the same options as those on the Joyent version of phpMyAdmin.

#5 2008-11-07 01:19:41

kvnmcwebn
Website

hi,
yes i think thats the main problem but not the only one, my local hosts mysql version is 5.0.41 and my web hosts is 4.1.11.

Ive set both the export and import compatability to “mysql40” but still no luck. The phpmyadmin version is different as well…. There is a lad on the mt forum that has this working but I havnt heard from him in a while…
I wonder if I can downgrade mamp to use mysql 4….

photogallery

Board footer