Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-11-04 14:41:13

jpdupont

Re: adi_cat_menu – Category & article menu

Gomedia, Logoleptic,

I see your post where you want to limit output to a specific section (or current section).
I need to limit the list to categories (and categories articles) who belongs to a specific (or active) section.
I try this :
<txp:adi_cat_menu this_section=“1” />
or
<txp:adi_cat_menu section=“nameofsection” />
without success : the plugin list all the categories/articles.
Actually I have 10 sections. 2 sections have categories. I need to display only the categories who belongs to this sections.
Possible with this plugin ?

#14 2008-11-04 21:15:38

gomedia
Plugin Author

adi_cat_menu was written to create a menu based on specified categories. You can restrict the list of categories using parent="category name", otherwise all will be listed. Add the required categories to a parent if they don’t belong to one already.

If you want a menu based more on sections then adi_menu may be suitable (although there’s no category attribute … yet!).

I’m not sure about a direct relationship between categories & sections. Articles are associated with categories, and articles are associated with sections. So the starting point is either categories or sections.

Send me an example of what you want to achieve if I’ve misunderstood your requirement.

#15 2008-11-05 10:15:22

jpdupont

Gomedia, thanks for the answer.
Do you know cbs_category_list ?

Description (from the help) : This simple plugin is basically equivalent to category_list, excepted that it is section-sensitive and only lists article categories.
Categories are displayed using their title and optionally their article count for the selected section and sorted alphabetically by title.
If no article is found in the section for a category, this category will not be shown.

This plugin give me the list of categories who belongs to a section … It would be fine if your plugin give a menu like this :
- for a particular section (or the active section), list the categories who belongs to articles attached to the section, then the articles for this category.

#16 2008-11-05 10:55:35

gomedia
Plugin Author

I think the ultimate answer might be “no”. adi_cat_menu bases its output on a given parent category.

adi_menu is the one that works with sections. It doesn’t currently take account of categories but it might not be a big deal for it to do so.

Do you want to specify a section and get something like:?

<ul>
  <li>category1
    <ul>
      <li>Article 1a</li>
      <li>Article 1b</li>
      <li>Article 1c</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
  <li>category2
    <ul>
      <li>Article 2a</li>
      <li>Article 2b</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

And what does adi_cat_menu do (or adi_menu might do) that cbs_category_list doesn’t?

#17 2008-11-07 09:07:00

jpdupont

Gomedia,

thanks to allow me to “dream” :-) !

Yes, structure like this would be fine, if (like cbs_category_list) :
  • plugin take care of “active” section or a “named” section
  • categories listed are categories who belongs to articles assigned to that section (categories are listed if articles are published)
  • ability to sort articles (with standard fields and stm_article_order particular sort field)

Such a plugin allow to create a CMS build on a particular use of the sections/categories.

It would be fine too if it allow to create the complete site structure (sections + categories) as nesteds linked lists or a one section structure.

#18 2008-11-07 13:21:57

gomedia
Plugin Author

jpdupont wrote:

Yes, structure like this would be fine, if (like cbs_category_list) :

• plugin take care of “active” section or a “named” section
  • categories listed are categories who belongs to articles assigned to that section (categories are listed if articles are published)
  • ability to sort articles (with standard fields and stm_article_order particular sort field)

adi_menu probably takes care of active section & article sort (standard fields) currently anyway. The next time I do an update, I’ll see if it’s feasible to work in categories as well.

#19 2009-02-12 09:42:03

Si
Website

Hi Adi,

Thanks for this plugin and especially for support of rss_unlimited_categories! It’s just what is missing from all the others

I’d like to add to jpdupont’s dream as well ))

I want to generate a menu only of categories (rss_uc) that only have articles in the current section, because currently all categories are listed regardless of section.

If you think this could be achieved with the current version of the plugin, could you give a clue how to achieve that?

Thanks!!

#20 2009-02-12 10:10:52

gomedia
Plugin Author

Si wrote:

I want to generate a menu only of categories (rss_uc) that only have articles in the current section, because currently all categories are listed regardless of section.

Sounds like I need to reacquaint myself with this plugin, & give it some attention! Leave it with me.

#21 2009-02-20 12:16:18

gomedia
Plugin Author

version 0.3 released.

In brief:
  • I’ve brought the <txp:category_list /> functionality of ‘section’, ‘this_section’, ‘exclude’, ‘categories’ attributes back into adi_cat_menu
  • introduced a new section-sensitive functionality (in the style of cbs_category_list)

Have a play & let me know what you think.

#22 2009-02-20 15:44:42

jpdupont

gomedia,

thanks for the new release ! :-)
I will try as soon as possible !

#23 2009-02-20 16:08:00

Si
Website

That’s great, Adi! I’m gonna try now!

#24 2009-02-23 17:17:35

Exiladler
Website

Hi,

I really like this plug-in but have a quick question, I am using Category hierarchy (parent/child) and was hoping it would show the articles

• Parent-Cat 1
    • Child Cat 1
      • Article 1
      • Article 2
    • Child Cat 2
      • Article 1
      • Article 2
  • Parent-Cat 2
  • etc…

using <txp:adi_cat_menu sort=“parent” />

shows it in a different sort order.

Last edited by Exiladler (2009-02-23 17:21:51)

Board footer