Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-10-29 22:34:32

theturninggate
Website

New hosting

Unfortunately, a website move has become necessary as I am reputedly plowing through the ceiling of my CPU allowance with my current hosting company, SiteGround. I fear spambots may have more to do with this than legitimate traffic, but I digress.

I’m considering Media Temple or AN Hosting. Does anyone have experience with either company? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

#2 2008-10-29 22:44:38

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: New hosting

theturninggate wrote:

I’m considering Media Temple or AN Hosting. Does anyone have experience with either company? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

You could rent virtual host / full/half server. No limits and you can host your all sites under same server. If you have +10 sites, you will even safe some money (even with 2 sites, ‘cause good web hotel isn’t cheap, usually over 200 € / year – when good virtual host starts from couple-four hundred).

But if you are looking something cheap, then usually it’s all about luck. Even when host is known as good, you can still end up on that one overused/shitty/old server :)

Last edited by Gocom (2008-10-29 22:45:51)

#3 2008-11-01 00:35:48

kvnmcwebn
Website

The last time I had to look for a new host I did monthy payments on a few different hosts to try them out first. That turned out to be a good strategy for me because the one I though would be the best for me turned out to have to much downtime. (They are listed on the texpattern host list as well.) Anyway I settled media temple grid service and would recommend it. I have a joyent shared account as well, I had a site on there that had high traffic for a while and the load time got really bad, but i think they were going through a hardware transition at the time. They are worth checking out as well but i dont think they can compete with mt’s pricing. Joyent has really good forums, mt has good support and decent forum. hth.

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#4 2008-11-03 04:20:56

theturninggate
Website

Okay, I’m on MediaTemple now and I’ve moved my site over. New problems are afoot.

1) My page layout is screwy. I’m having a difficult time pinning down the cause. If you take a look at the contact or colophon pages, the layout is fine – the right column is where it should be. In any of the blog pages, however, this is not the case.

2) </txp:if_section> is appearing in my source code.

3) Clean URLs are failing.

My diagnostics look like this:

Textpattern version: 4.0.6 (r2805)
Last Update: 2008-03-17 06:46:17/2008-11-03 03:42:24
Document root: /var/www/vhosts/theturninggate.net/httpdocs
$path_to_site: /var/www/vhosts/theturninggate.net/httpdocs
Textpattern path: /var/www/vhosts/theturninggate.net/httpdocs/textpattern
Permanent link mode: section_title
open_basedir: /var/www/vhosts/theturninggate.net/httpdocs:/tmp
Temporary directory path: /var/www/vhosts/theturninggate.net/httpdocs/tmp
Site URL: theturninggate.net
PHP version: 5.2.6
GD Image Library: version bundled (2.0.34 compatible), supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG
Server Local Time: 2008-11-02 20:20:13
MySQL: 5.0.45
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Apache version: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
PHP Server API: apache2handler
RFC 2616 headers:
Server OS: Linux 2.6.9-023stab048.4-enterprise
Active plugins: ajw_comment_alt-0.3, asy_captcha-1.0, glx_gravatar-2008.1, mrw_spamkeywords_urlcount-0.1, pap_contact_cleaner-0.1, vdh_flickr-0.8.12m, rss_admin_db_manager-4.3, rss_admin_show_adv_opts-0.3, rss_article_edit-0.1, rss_auto_excerpt-0.5, rss_suparchive-0.18, zem_contact_lang-4.0.3.6, wet_for_each_image-0.4, wet_thumbfilter-0.6, zem_contact_reborn-4.0.3.20, upm_image-0.6.1, upm_img_popper-1.3.7, sgb_error_documents-0.1.2.2, sgb_url_handler-0.1.8.4m, zem_posted-0.1, ajw_comments_feed-0.6

Pre-flight check:
————————————
Clean URL test failed.
————————————

.htaccess file contents:
————————————
#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On #RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d RewriteRule ^(.+) – [PT,L]

RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} !^$ RewriteRule .* – [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

————————————

I haven’t been able to pinpoint the cause of the problems. Everything was fine on the older server, and everything appears to be the same now that I’ve moved. Anyway help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

#5 2008-11-03 04:27:49

theturninggate
Website

New info:

My posts seem to be cutting off in mid-flow. Why on earth would that be happening? It seems my database is incomplete. My CPanel on the old host says the database is 157MB, but my exported database varies from 8 to 15MB every time I download it. Why am I not getting the entire thing?

Last edited by theturninggate (2008-11-03 04:57:47)

#6 2008-11-05 17:16:45

kvnmcwebn
Website

hi,
I have clean urls running on mt grid service with the defualt .httaccess file but i have noticed some problems with it in the past. Dont rename your htaccess file on the server rather, set your computer/ftpclient to show hidden files and upload it allready named .htaccess. you may have to do a clean install. As far as shifting your database are you using rss_db admin?

photogallery

#7 2008-11-07 01:20:30

kvnmcwebn
Website

How’s that working for you?

photogallery

Board footer