Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#493 2008-10-07 08:33:45

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

With this plugin, is it possible to create an article list of all articles that have a particular tag? What I’m thinking of here is something similar to the rss_unlimited_categories article listing functionality. The tru_tags documentation mentions tag searches, but I don’t think this is quite the same thing as what I have in mind. Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished?

Edit: Never mind. After re-reading the docs, I realized that tru_tags uses the keyword field for its tags. I can just use <txp:article_custom keywords="mytags" />.

Last edited by Logoleptic (2008-10-16 20:17:36)

#494 2008-10-07 11:10:59

merz1
Website

@logoleptic: The tag search result pages are article lists in their own ‘tag’ section.

This is definitely what I am using it for and the reason why I never had to use rss_unlimited_categories. Check out the /tag/ section on my website and you will see that it works stable with >1,000 different keywords.

There is one important disadvantage: No paging because of missing TXP core support for paging with keywords.

In my page template for section ‘tag’:

<txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>
  <txp:output_form form="txp_tru_tags_if_tag_search_liste" />
<txp:else />

From the form:

<txp:tru_tags_handler form="waw_tagpost" sort="Posted desc" limit="100" />

‘waw_tagpost’ is a standard article form which is used to fill the article list.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#495 2008-10-14 14:18:16

jmuspratt
Website

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to tru_tags_list to output a pop-up menu that lets the visitor choose a tag (the way you can with Textpattern categories)? I know it’s not the most common way to navigate tags, but sometimes it’s the best option.

I’ve tried but I can’t figure out a formula that will output the proper “option value” xhtml tags without getting mucked up with li tags.

Thanks!

#496 2008-10-19 12:15:35

sthmtc
Website

I’m using tru_tags a bit out of its original context, mainly to output a list of popular tags for articles from a given section. I’m not making use of any of tru_tags sophisticated features, what I want to do is just the following:

Output a list of popular tags that are used within a given section.
I’m therefore using this:

<txp:tru_tags_handler>
<txp:tru_tags_list listlimit="5" showcounts="1" linkpath="http://www.domain.com/foobar/?tag=" section="foobar" />
</txp:tru_tags_handler>

But all attributes are being ignored and a tag cloud (not a list, generated from all sections and not limited to 5 tags, …) is being rendered. Any ideas on what could potentially causing this?

Last edited by sthmtc (2008-10-19 12:15:58)

#497 2008-10-21 00:26:36

truist
Plugin Author
Website

All – apologies, again. I usually just wait for the forum to email me about new posts, but this is now the third or fourth time that I’ve missed new things. Is anyone else having that problem? Anyway, sorry for the long delay before I reply.

pfctdayelise – it looks like you figured out your problem? If so, can you share the source of the original problem?

jmuspratt – I can’t think of a way to do what you want. How important is it to you? I can add it to a future release (“someday”, at my current speed…), if you like.

sthmtc – I think you’re misunderstanding the tags. <txp:tru_tags_handler /> doesn’t accept any content – it should always self-close, like I did here. It’s just a tag you have to put into your /tag/ section, to make tag searches work. To display the cloud you want, try just taking out your tru_tags_handler tags.

#498 2008-10-21 13:40:10

merz1
Website

@truist: Nathan, I am not having problems with mail subscriptions from the forum. Maybe you have a problem with your spam filter(s)?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#499 2008-10-21 18:45:44

truist
Plugin Author
Website

I thought it might be my spam filter also, but I’ve checked it every time, and the emails haven’t been filtered.

But I think I might just have discovered the problem. I use a lot of different computers and web browsers, and I frequently find myself logged out of the forum, when I follow a link to read a post. I’ve never worried about it before, but I’ll bet if I’m not logged in, the forum doesn’t register that I viewed it, and doesn’t reset the flag. That would explain it, and explain why most other people don’t see the problem. I’ll try to log in every time from now on, and hopefully that will fix it.

#500 2008-10-22 15:34:58

merz1
Website

but I’ll bet if I’m not logged in, the forum doesn’t register that I viewed it, and doesn’t reset the flag

That’s definitely the cause. If not logged in I am always alarmed by the missing comment box and of course by the ‘you are not logged in’ message.

Last edited by merz1 (2008-10-22 15:35:21)

#501 2008-10-26 22:41:27

macinchik

Forgive me for not reading the last fifty pages of this thread, but I was hoping to establish tagging for the link items in my Txp database, as opposed to the articles. Can tru_tags be used for this?

Thanks,
Jenn

#502 2008-10-27 07:15:50

macinchik

Hi it’s me again. I decided to use articles to act like link elements and I have tru_tags up and running. It’s lovely!

One question (for now): How do I print out the name of the tag on the archive page for articles bearing that tag?

J

#503 2008-10-27 08:50:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

macinchik wrote:

I was hoping to establish tagging for the link items in my Txp database, as opposed to the articles.

As you found, this excellent plugin does articles only. If you do want to experiment with tags directly on your links you could try smd_tags. I’ve been trialling it for a few months and although it’s still beta-ish nobody has reported any major issues yet (mind you, maybe only 3 people have used it!)

I’m looking for willing volunteers to find out if it truly does what it says on the tin and report on its success (or otherwise). I have a few modifications up my sleeve to do with the way tags are entered and a few new tags to add when I get a chance to finalise them, but if you have any ideas for improvements so it works how you want it, feel free to shout.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#504 2008-10-27 13:35:20

merz1
Website

How do I print out the name of the tag on the archive page for articles bearing that tag?

RTfineM: txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter (Changed the rude ‘F’ to a better ‘fine’. Extra edit for OpalCat)

<span class="tru_tags_tag_parameter"><txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter striphyphens="1" /></span>

Last edited by merz1 (2008-10-27 17:20:48)

Board footer