Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-09-03 21:54:37

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: adi_menu – section hierarchy, section menu and breadcrumb trail

freischwimmen wrote:

is there a way not to display the section parent within abovementioned list, but only its childs?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Children need a parent to hang off. The parent – child relationship is crucial to the hierarchy.

Send me an example via email to illustrate your requirement (use forum email or go via my website).

#26 2008-09-03 22:05:08

freischwimmen
Website

Thanks gomedia, will do so tomorrow, its really late over here in europe. Thanks!

#27 2008-09-04 12:21:51

Si
Website

Hi Adi,
Thanks for a nice plugin! It would be great to be able to include a parent section in the menu and have its children displayed automatically, similar to ‘start_section’ attribute in cnk_section_tree. So that when a user adds a subsection to the hierarchy – it is automatically included in the list, without having to include it manually in the tag attributes. Do you think it’s possible?

Si

#28 2008-09-04 12:47:00

gomedia
Plugin Author

Si wrote:

Hi Adi,
Thanks for a nice plugin! It would be great to be able to include a parent section in the menu and have its children displayed automatically, similar to ‘start_section’ attribute in cnk_section_tree. So that when a user adds a subsection to the hierarchy – it is automatically included in the list, without having to include it manually in the tag attributes. Do you think it’s possible?

Si, in it’s basic form <txp:adi_menu/> will automatically output all sections that have been added in the Sections tab. You don’t have to use the ‘sections’ attribute to explicitly include them. So when you add a new section to the Sections tab, the next refresh of the web page will show it in the menu.

Obviously, if the new section is intended to be a sub-section (i.e. a child) then you have to visit the adi_menu admin tab to set this up. But again, if you’re not using the adi_menu ‘sections’ attribute, a simple page refresh is all that’s required – i.e. you don’t have to edit the tag attributes.

#29 2008-09-04 13:32:41

Si
Website

That’s right, Adi, but if I only want to display one section and it’s children? Practically, I have a section called ‘Countries’ and it’s children – ‘UK, Canada, USA’, etc.. and I only want to display a menu with the children on a particular page, not the full section list. And I would want a user to be able to create a new section (say ‘South Africa’) and then have it on the list straight away.
Sorry, if I’m asking too much :) The cnk_section_tree can do that, however it seems to conflict with some other plugin in my installation (I have a feeling it’s rss_unlimited_categories)

#30 2008-09-04 13:39:26

gomedia
Plugin Author

Si wrote:

That’s right, Adi, but if I only want to display one section and it’s children?

Si, sorry, now I understand. I guess sections="Countries" only gives you the Countries section & not its children. Your requirement sounds useful, leave it with me.

#31 2008-09-04 13:52:05

Si
Website

yes, that’s exactly what I mean :)

edit: I think, there is another issue — if I use sections="child1, child2, child3...." and don’t include the parent in the list, I get an empty list, it looks like <ul id="mainmenu" class="section_list"></ul> when rendered.

cheers!

Last edited by Si (2008-09-04 14:44:07)

#32 2008-09-04 19:16:06

freischwimmen
Website

edit: I think, there is another issue — if I use sections=“child1, child2, child3….” and don’t include the parent in the list, I get an empty list, it looks like <ul id=“mainmenu” class=“section_list”></ul> when rendered.

that`s exactly what i tried to explain earlier, perfect. i`d like to have all children of a section displayed without the parent, is there any way to accomplish this?

thanks!

#33 2008-09-05 05:35:18

gomedia
Plugin Author

Si wrote:

I think, there is another issue — if I use sections="child1, child2, child3...." and don’t include the parent in the list, I get an empty list, it looks like <ul id="mainmenu" class="section_list"></ul> when rendered.

I need to make the sections attribute functionality a bit more intelligent. I’ll ponder such things over the weekend.

freischwimmen wrote:

i’d like to have all children of a section displayed without the parent, is there any way to accomplish this?

Hmm, another twist to the tale. I guess you want to use adi_menu to make a logical grouping of sections – the family of a deceased single parent! More food for thought.

#34 2008-09-08 12:18:53

gomedia
Plugin Author

Version 0.5 is now available. I’ve changed the sections attribute functionality in response to requirements from Si & freischwimmen. Thanks to freischwimmen for testing the new version.

See post #1 for download & help links, and a more detailed description of the sections attribute update.

If I’ve broken anything for anybody, let me know.

Summary of changes:
  • fix: adi_menu errors if ‘default’ section excluded (thanks Uli)
  • fix: adi_menu tab section hierarchy would generate lots of errors if adi_menu not installed
  • enhancement: sections attribute functionality improved:
    • children now output automatically
    • new tags ‘include_parent’ & ‘include_childless’

#35 2008-09-08 12:27:46

freischwimmen
Website

This is a good example for what reinstates my faith in the textpattern community, plain niceness. Great to “work together” Gomedia. I wish more plugins would be updated + maintained like this one.

#36 2008-09-08 14:36:20

Si
Website

Hi Adi, that’s a very fast update!
I only saw your message and had a chance to test it today — and it works like a charm, just what I needed. Million thanks!

Board footer