You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-08-12 16:06:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: code_swarm

colak wrote:

would you like me to squeeze it in the mirror stage

Blimey, I didn’t think it was worthy of anything like that! It was less than a day’s work and the music gets tedious towards the end as I became more and more frustrated with my computer. And, stupidly in the 1am fog, I forgot to credit jm for providing the footage so should go back and correct that.

But if you think it’s something others might enjoy and would like to put it forward then of course I’d say yes, thank you.

I took a look at the criteria:

… the presupposition that video has reached a level of consciousness that could potentially be determined through its contradictions. As such the program looks at video through the Lacanian, “Mirror Stage”. That is, how the reflected image acts as a basic ingredient in the constitution of the picture from the subject and how this can be translated as commentary on the state of video, today.

I wish I knew what that meant :-p Sadly I’m too much of a simpleton.

Although I had to tweak the video footage to push bits of it in sync, from my own perspective I feel I’ve done better music and better video (some strong language) but who am I to judge? [ Oh btw, you may spot a similar text effect in the “Rap Presidents” video, partly due to my current love affair with Trapcode Shine; it’ll pass, I hope ]

If you’d like to squeeze the TXP swarm on the site, that’s totally fine by me. Will you hotlink or repost? I’ve only got a small monthly bandwidth and a mid-sized hosting plan (about 10Gb/mo, which is tiny when running the type of sites I do) but it should be able to cope. Shame the dubstation site is awaiting my next plugin before (re)launch; it’s in rvm_maintenance mode right now.

Thanks again for the props guys. If anyone wants any music or video editing (especially for music videos), drop me a line: I’m getting better at it and experimenting more now.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-08-12 16:09:58)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2008-08-12 18:58:33

jm
Plugin Author
Website

I like it. A lot. Nice work Stef! Want me to upload the rest of the PNGs? Probably ~10 more (haven’t run code_swarm in awhile).

#15 2008-08-12 19:46:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Can do. Might be able to squeeze them in under the fade at the end… might as well do it for completeness, ta.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2008-08-13 08:10:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote:

I wish I knew what that meant :-p

So do I! Sounds good though huh? Just kidding. You’ll have mail…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2008-08-13 10:04:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Didn’t know about the Mac incompatibility, sorry guys. Just assumed (wrongly) that an H.264 avi would play natively in QT *slaps hand*

I’m going to re-encode it for colak anyway in (hopefully) what my PC thinks is a Mac-friendly .mov format, and I’ll post the result here.

Anyone know what I should be using in terms of video format/codec, and audio format/codec? I’ve currently used ffdshow to generate AVI/H.264 and interleaved MP3 @ 192kbps. Once I’ve re-coded it I’ll try it on the MacBook here to see if it plays back in QT, but if any Mac heads out there know definitively what formats I should be using in ffdshow (or SUPER), please let me know to save me arsing around trying to find the right one. Thanks.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-08-13 10:05:24)

#18 2008-08-13 14:12:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I credited jm for the graphics at the end and re-uploaded the original file. I’ve also made what I think is a Mac version. It’s a .mov that uses the H.264 codec (because it’s awesome) and the more Mac-friendly AAC audio codec at 192kbps.

It’s been transcoded direct from an uncompressed (6Gb!) original file using SUPER and is about 33Mb now. It plays back on my wife’s MacBook in that awful QuickTime junk (sorry Mac friends: pretty much everything else about the OS is brilliant, but QT and iTunes are the pits) so I think it should be ok. Please report if it works or not.

#19 2008-08-13 23:53:55

mrdale
Website

Cool! mac version is still interlaced, but it’s still brill.

Here’s an idea. I wonder if you could do a code-swarm based on the frequency of forum posts… Now that would be superfun.

#20 2008-08-14 00:03:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mrdale wrote:

Cool! mac version is still interlaced, but it’s still brill.

Dammit, thought I’d got rid of the interlacing. Must… check…… output… settings… again.

#21 2008-08-15 21:33:42

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry for the delay…had to dig up my code_swarm config. Loads of PNGs here. Edit: Crap. New PNGs were generated for the entire history, and they don’t sync with the previous ones.

mrdale wrote:

Here’s an idea. I wonder if you could do a code-swarm based on the frequency of forum posts… Now that would be superfun.

That would be great. I’m not familiar with PunBB’s db, but if we were able to output to a file in this format, it’d work:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<file_events>
    <!--use .html for the forum?-->
    <event filename="post.html" date="unix_timestamp" author="username" /> <!--foreach-->
</file_events>

Last edited by jm (2008-08-16 13:59:38)

#22 2008-08-18 17:56:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jm wrote:

Crap. New PNGs were generated for the entire history, and they don’t sync with the previous ones.

Nuts, you’re right. Well, it’s close enough to a complete timeline already, so I guess it stays as it is; I don’t relish the task of doing right-click->save, right-click->save… from your website directory listing for 5664 files :-D

So is everyone happy with it in its current state, in terms of format, output settings etc? Colak: Are the codecs suitable for your presentation and is the interlacing ok as-is, or will you need a non-interlaced version? I can do a new one for you if it’s no good; just let me know and I can find some downtime on my machine to let it render for half an hour or so. It’s not like I don’t have 3 or 4 other computers to choose from… <grin>

Last edited by Bloke (2008-08-18 17:57:14)

#23 2008-08-19 06:32:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote:

I don’t relish the task of doing right-click->save, right-click->save… from your website directory listing for 5664 files :-D

hi Stef,
scrapbook should do it for you. With a descent connection it takes no time.

Last edited by colak (2008-08-19 06:32:51)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer