Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-07-18 12:54:38

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: adi_menu – section hierarchy, section menu and breadcrumb trail

jelle wrote:

The only thing I don’t like is the backend. I can handle it but it’s too elaborate for some less technical clients.

jelle, I’m surprised you think the backend is too elaborate – it’s pretty much the same sort of interface as the rest of Textpattern.

I had a look at your jQuery suggestion – very snazzy but it might be a bit like putting a mouse on a calculator.

Ultimately the section/subsection functionality will be provided by Textpattern anyway (there’s talk of it in 4.1), but the exclusion/clone features of adi_menu may still be useful.

Your comment did get me thinking though. A preview of the section heirarchy in the admin tab would probably be beneficial. I’ll include it in a later version.

#14 2008-07-18 13:34:00

gomedia
Plugin Author

chriloi wrote:

you are wrong. Showing articles in the tree is an option, but not the core functionality of my plugin. So I really don’t get why your plugin is so different to mine.

The differences are cnk_section_tree:
  • can show articles, whereas adi_menu can’t (although I’ve had a request to do so)
  • outputs markup suitable for rendering a collapsible tree structure, adi_menu doesn’t
whereas adi_menu:
  • renders the active section as a link (which is required for Internet Explorer hover to work)
  • renders section parents with a specific CSS class that can be used for styling purposes
  • includes ‘clone’ functionality
  • provides section sorting
  • attempts to avoid plugin conflicts

chriloi wrote:

I also had a look at your code and I would say, that the greatest difference is performance. While my code is able to handle very large trees with no performance loose, your code gets slower with every new section level.

Possibly true, but adi_menu is designed produce a navigation menu from a section hierarchy. For most websites, this is likely to be 2, 3 or maybe 4 levels at most. In my own testing, I haven’t noticed any problems.

chriloi wrote:

Another big thing is, that I’m currently implementing nice urls, which means it takes some time to release the next version, so it is not very nice of you to bring out your (very similar) plugin and sell it as something better than mine and promote it in my plugin support thread.

No offence intended. There are posts in cnk_section_tree forum from users looking for functionality that you don’t provide. In fact, there are posts from me on this subject as well. I was able to modify cnk_section_tree to a certain extent but ultimately it made sense (to me at least) to start from scratch. I needed the menu functionality sooner rather than later and by releasing adi_menu I am hopefully giving others something useful as well. I did not sell adi_menu as being better than cnk_section_tree. To quote adi_menu post #1:

There is some overlap in functionality between the two plugins but, essentially, they have different aims.

If you want a section hierarchy that is rendered with the aim of producing a tree, which includes articles, then cnk_section_tree is the plugin for you.

And I gave you a mention in the Credits.

#15 2008-08-04 10:38:46

gomedia
Plugin Author

Version 0.3 released. It provides a few more hooks for your CSS and there’s now a summary of the hierarchy in the admin tab.

• enhancement: new adi_menu tag attribute ‘link_span’ – wrap <span>…</span> around contents of links
  • enhancement: new adi_menu tag attributes ‘list_id’ & ‘list_id_prefix’ – output unique IDs to <li> elements
  • enhancement: new adi_menu tag attribute ‘active_li_class’ – output class on active <li>
  • enhancement: adi_menu admin now displays summary of configured section hierarchy
  • modification: adi_breadcrumb tag attribute ‘sep’ deprecated for ‘separator’

#16 2008-08-04 11:39:01

lee

Thanks Adi. I especially like the active li class.

#17 2008-08-12 05:47:32

gomedia
Plugin Author

Version 0.4 released, which provides some fixes for the breadcrumb trail – see post #1 for details.

#18 2008-08-14 18:41:00

vk
Website

i got problem when installing adi_menu with MLP – The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack plugins… any info ? Thanks in advanced…

Adi, it’s cool plugins anyway…

Viking KARWUR
Textpattern Enthusiast & I run MadebyVK A small web design and web development studio based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I’m @vikingkarwur and @MadebyVK on Twitter

#19 2008-08-14 22:34:05

gomedia
Plugin Author

vk wrote:

i got problem when installing adi_menu with MLP – The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack plugins… any info ?

I’ll have a play with MLP & adi_menu. What was the problem you experienced?

#20 2008-08-15 03:58:31

vk
Website

If I install MLP plugins, the adi_menu won’t work :(

Viking KARWUR
Textpattern Enthusiast & I run MadebyVK A small web design and web development studio based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I’m @vikingkarwur and @MadebyVK on Twitter

#21 2008-09-03 12:27:05

freischwimmen
Website

Great Plugin from what i can tell so far!

Two things i`d like to share / ask..
1) i get an error message after installing the plugin, looks like this when i open a page that includes
<txp:adi_menu /> in my browser :

Tag error: <txp:adi_menu/> -> Notice: Undefined index: adi_menu_parent on line 485
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(574) : eval()’d code:485 adi_menu_hierarchy()
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(574) : eval()’d code:491 adi_menu_hierarchy()
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(574) : eval()’d code:491 adi_menu_hierarchy()
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(574) : eval()’d code:567 adi_menu_hierarchy()
textpattern/publish.php:970 adi_menu()
processtags()
textpattern/publish.php:929 preg_replace_callback()
textpattern/publish.php:466 parse()
index.php:40 textpattern()

2) Is it possible to not show the default “home” link in the menu / section list generated by this plugin?

any help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

#22 2008-09-03 13:58:04

gomedia
Plugin Author

freischwimmen wrote:

1) i get an error message after installing the plugin
2) Is it possible to not show the default “home” link in the menu / section list generated by this plugin?

Yes it’s a bug. It happens when you exclude the default section in the adi_menu admin tab (there’s an error message there too). It’ll be fixed in the next version but for the time being don’t exclude the default section in admin, use the include_default="0" attribute in the adi_menu tag instead.

#23 2008-09-03 17:03:14

freischwimmen
Website

Thanks for the quick answer, that did the trick. Perfect.

#24 2008-09-03 20:13:14

freischwimmen
Website

eeh, almost perfect.

one thing i`d still like to change, maybe you can help me out again gomedia, much appreciated for real.

is there a way not to display the section parent within abovementioned list, but only its childs?
i want to achieve a “subsite” within a “normal txp homepage” that has a menu with all static pages (section childs) listed, status quo is that the link to the main subsite itself (parent) is also present in that list. Ideas? Am i missing something obvious?
Thanks for any help.

Board footer