Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-07-08 07:42:30

NickCaldwell
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] cnk_versioning

Ah, OK, I see now. I’d humbly suggest that the “Install” link needs a bit more labelling to make it clearer what’s happening. Like “Install into database” or “update database”. I’d also expect something that alters the functionality of a database to be a form input button rather than a link — a link takes you somewhere but a button does something.

#26 2008-07-08 07:45:02

NickCaldwell
Website

Oh, and please take the criticism in the spirit of being very excited by this plugin and hoping it wins universal fame and acclaim! It’s filling a substantial gap in Textpattern’s functionality.

#27 2008-07-08 08:08:14

chriloi
Plugin Author
Website

I found a bug in the directory checking. If you didn’t specify $CNK_VER_OUTPUT_PATH, please download v 0.1.6.

#28 2008-07-08 17:21:32

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

NickCaldwell wrote:

It’s filling a substantial gap in Textpattern’s functionality.

+1

#29 2008-07-13 15:18:24

maniqui
Website

chriloi wrote:

Everytime a front-end page is viewed with production_status != ‘live’, the plugin loads all files to the database, which have a modification timestamp greater than the one stored in the database. Deleted files will also delete forms/pages/css from database. New files will create new pages/forms/css.

Hi, I’m thinking about using this plug-in so I can easily edit forms, pages and stylesheets using an external editor, and maybe to use svn so I can keep versions of each files.
I’ve a few questions:

• when using this plug-in, is it also possible to edit form/pages/stylesheets through the TxP Admin, as always? (reading the text quoted above, I think the answer is “yes”, and so it is possible to keep using the TxP admin for editing)
  • if answer is “yes”, then, any modification done on the TxP admin textareas, will be “reflected” (applied) in the corresponding file on the filesystem?
  • is it 100% compatible with rvm_css?

Thanks.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#30 2008-07-13 17:52:33

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

when using this plug-in, is it also possible to edit form/pages/stylesheets through the TxP Admin, as always? (reading the text quoted above, I think the answer is “yes”, and so it is possible to keep using the TxP admin for editing)

No. These tabs are disabled— when you navigate to these sections, Textpattern displays this message: “While cnk_versioning is enabled, this function is disabled.”

#31 2008-07-13 17:54:53

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

if answer is “yes”, then, any modification done on the TxP admin textareas, will be “reflected” (applied) in the corresponding file on the filesystem?

This is why I prefer this plugin to hcg_templates— because I can’t accidentally make changes to the pages/forms in Textpattern.

#32 2008-07-13 17:57:32

maniqui
Website

John,
thanks for your reply.

So, suppose there is an “emergency” (that means, you have to do some editing and you are not working on your computer) and there is a need to edit some page/form/stylesheet…
do you know what happens if I disable cnk_versioning x, then edit a page/form/stylesheet and finally re-enable it again?

I’m trying to find out which is the safer and proper way to work with this plug-in and have the best of both worlds at the same time :)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#33 2008-07-14 06:01:41

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I see cnk_versioning as a development-stage plugin that I probably wouldn’t use on a live site— and it automatically ceases from uploading the template files when the production status is set to “live.”

For what your talking about, hcg_templates might be better: textarea editing within TXP is enabled, and you manually download and upload changed files in the Extensions tab for Templates.

#34 2008-07-14 06:10:50

sthmtc
Website

maniqui wrote:

do you know what happens if I disable cnk_versioning x, then edit a page/form/stylesheet and finally re-enable it again?

no problem, just make sure that you hit »Write pages & forms to files« after you’re done with your edits.

#35 2008-07-14 06:12:37

sthmtc
Website

maniqui wrote:

Hi, I’m thinking about using this plug-in so I can easily edit forms, pages and stylesheets using an external editor, and maybe to use svn so I can keep versions of each files.

ha, that’s exactly what i was asking for and christian delivered :)

#36 2008-07-14 13:45:46

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

sthmtc wrote:

just make sure that you hit »Write pages & forms to files« after you’re done with your edits.

Thanks for the correction. You’re right.

Board footer