Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#469 2008-07-03 15:05:23

merz1
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

What comes to my mind is creating relations to existing TXP categories as categories are a natural TXP content structure above tags.

This would be a very nice TXP core feature esp. when creating an article. I am pretty sure that many authors would love some help with tags based on categories

Example:

• Select c1. ‘Hamburg’ and a list of ‘hamburg’ tags to select from shows up below the keyword field
  • Select c2. ‘Shop’ and a list of ‘shop’ tags to select from shows up below the keyword field

And Yes, this would require to store multiple tag metadata/relations in the database.
This is why I think ‘tag metadata’ is a ‘TXP core feature’ request but nevertheless you can start working on that feature (instead of buying a motorcycle for your own egoistic delectableness :)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#470 2008-07-03 15:16:17

merz1
Website

Re: “tags that start with A” – Correct

Maybe the index should be smart enough to break index pages into sub pages if the number of tags exceeds a given number in the group (tag.e -> tag.ea, tag.eh, …)

Another feature request

I would also love to have sub-tags through an i.e. ‘:’ delimiter (-, / URL clean delimiters?).
A tag construct like Hamburg:City:Shop:Shoes offers some hierarchical ‘breadcrumb’ like possibilities.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#471 2008-07-03 15:16:33

truist
Plugin Author
Website

I like that idea a lot. I added a few notes to the Roadmap page.

But the motorcycle is a much higher priority these days – it’s been on the “to-do” list for 6 years now, and I’m tired of waiting!

#472 2008-07-03 15:22:15

maverick
Website

truist wrote:

You can get 3.3 here

Thanks!

merz1 wrote:

I think ‘tag metadata’ is a ‘TXP core feature’ request

An aside: I’d love to see a reworking/rethinking of txp categories into a metadata tagging powerhouse as part of the core. :) Since it is such a major feature, and not backward compatible, I realize it will have to be a “crockery” level change (IIRCC, unlimited categories are already planned).

#473 2008-07-03 15:34:30

merz1
Website

reworking/rethinking of txp categories into a metadata tagging powerhouse

Well, I am very thankful for the ‘one section, two categories, multiple keywords’ limitation.
I never thought about useful limitations before I started to use TXP but now the limitation makes perfect sense to me.

• A real reworking/rethinking of the txp structure would dive into possible/optional database relations between content structure elements (category <-> tags, n:m?, 1:m?).
  • The 2nd absolutely necessary core change is to allow real boolean search (priority #1: AND)
  • Additionally a semantic boolean search for different content structure elements is necessary (i.e.: section AND category AND tag, category OR (tag AND tag), …)

As always just my two cents…

#474 2008-07-23 21:47:04

morgant
Plugin Author
Website

Okay, I’m attempting to improve the SEO of my Textpattern site which already uses tru_tags and I’ve run into functionality that I feel is missing: I’m building the keywords meta tag dynamically from the site name, section, category, and tru_tags tags (<txp:tru_tags_list />) and true_tags search results (using <txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search> and <txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter />), but I can’t limit the tags generated by <txp:tru_tags_list /> to just the section I’m in or, preferably, just the articles that are being shown. I hope that makes sense.

I believe that this functionality is already covered by your roadmap, but I want to make sure that this particular feature request is actually in mind during development. Is it actually covered by the features on the roadmap?

Or, is there already a way of doing this that I’ve missed?

#475 2008-07-24 03:09:09

truist
Plugin Author
Website

morgant – I haven’t tried it, but I think what you’re looking for is already possible, or will be with TXP 4.0.7. tru_tags_list does accept a “section” attribute, so if you had some way to set that correctly for each section, you could do it (I think). And 4.0.7 (whenever it comes out) will include attribute value parsing which would let you dynamically set the section in the tru_tags_list call. That should solve the problem. (I also hear that asy_wondertag will do the trick in 4.0.6.)

For listing only the tags from the current list of articles, I think that tru_tags_related_tags_from_search will do exactly what you want. I’ve never tried using it that early in the page, though.

Was there something specific in the roadmap that you were referring to, though?

#476 2008-08-05 17:09:31

rsskga
Website

Hi everyone.

I’ve tried finding an answer as I imagine this issue might be discussed somewhere, but so far I’ve had no luck.

My issue is that when I use the txp:search_result_excerpt tag with tru_tags or rss_live_search, I get ascii output for my ellipses – like this:

…Custom Roof Deck Services Roof Deck Additions Receive a Free Deck Estimate The cost of building a … deck varies&#8230 …

On my search result page, it looks fine.
http://gilconstruction.com/search?q=roof+deck
vs.
http://gilconstruction.com/tag/roof-deck/

Anyone know how I can fix this? I’ve tried using the new break attribute for the search-result-excerpt tag, but it didn’t seem to help. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Swim Kitten, A Magento Site
When nothing but incredibly revealing dresses and swimwear will do

#477 2008-08-06 01:30:46

truist
Plugin Author
Website

I’m not at all sure what the real problem is, but I can provide a strong clue: take a look in your HTML source. In the ‘bad’ page, every single character in the excerpt is wrapped in an HTML ‘strong’ tag. So something went terribly wrong in textpattern/publish/taghandlers.php, in the search_result_excerpt function. But I don’t understand what that function is doing well enough to know why it broke. Anyone else able to explain it? (Specifically the “preg_replace” and “preg_match_all” lines.)

#478 2008-08-06 01:55:42

rsskga
Website

Thanks Nathan. I know the default action of the ‘hilight’ attribute of the search_result_excerpt tag is to place strong tags around the found search terms, so I’ve played around with leaving it blank and substituting other html tags, but that hasn’t had any effect.

Although I can understand and edit very simple bits of PHP, I don’t know what the preg_replace or preg_match_all would refer to. Is ‘preg’ itself short for something identifiable?

#479 2008-08-06 02:32:01

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, you talked me into it :) I dug through the PHP and regular expression references and figured out what the function does, and that explained the problem, as explained below.

So that first line (“preg_replace…”) is just cleaning up the HTML, to make it work correctly in the next line. It’s basically irrelevant to this problem.

The second line (“preg_match_all…”) is what does the searching – it searches the article for the term specified in the URL, so it can show little excerpts of the article around the matches.

And of course, that’s the problem – there is no search term specified in the URL, because you’re not really doing a normal search. So it ends up searching for “” (the empty string) and matching every character, and it will actually display the entire article as the excerpt. (It’s just that your articles are so small, you didn’t notice.) And then because every character is wrapped in a <strong> tag, that puts the entity code right next to the opening < in the first <strong> tag, and the web browser doesn’t know how to parse that and just shows the raw reference.

So basically search_result_excerpt just isn’t meant to do what you’re trying to do with it. You have to have a “q” argument in your URL for it to work, and that doesn’t mean anything in the context of tru_tags. Interestingly, though, you can ‘fix’ your problem by manually modifying the URL: http://gilconstruction.com/tag/roof-deck/?q=roof+deck.

The net effect is that you should use a different tag with tru_tag searches – either txp:excerpt, or if you need auto-generated excerpts I know there are plugins that will do that for you. (I’m not sure of the name(s).)

#480 2008-08-06 02:40:16

rsskga
Website

Awesome. Thanks so much, Nathan! I actually understand everything you’ve said! I guess I never gave too much thought to the way miscellaneous forms (what I use the most) and article and search forms differ on the back end.

By the way, please keep me up to date on your Truist altruism project. Thanks again!

Board footer