Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2008-06-15 22:05:02

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Marketing TXP

im confused as to the point of ‘textpatternblog.com’ at all. isn’t your other site txpq already basically a ‘blog about textpattern by designers for designers’?

people who only want to set up a blog are just going to settle with wordpress. way more ‘big name’ blogs use it (cnn, fox, flickr, rolling stone, yahoo, about.com etc etc), the admin area arguably looks better, its easier to blog with out of the box, theres already many variants of wordpress specifically for blogging purposes (mu, podpress, etc), theme/templates are much more plentiful and easier to install and theres WAY more plugins available. any simpleton with a blog who needs to deal with media handling would hate textpatterns files/images setup.

welovetxp.com does a fine job showing designers what TXP can do.

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-06-15 22:10:06)

#50 2008-06-15 22:29:32

zero
Website

Robert, re access to txp.com for contributors, I thought it might be a security problem if there were a lot, although it would depend on permissions etc.

Re email spam, does this mean that if I was living in Austria my emails asking people if they’d like to be interviewed for txpq could be spam?! I am shocked if it is. My way of doing it would be to get one designer to say yes, agree their name can be added to the list, then ask the next designer with the extra signature. Then same again like a snowball effect. I don’t think designers I have interviewed would feel spammed and hopefully would feel honoured to be asked. As for the ones we don’t ask – you could leave that to me, I don’t mind hurting egos :) Or we could ask Jukka to do it, he’s even ruder than me ;) To be honest I don’t know a sensitive way to do it, but there will be an answer we haven’t discovered yet.

Steve, interviews mention design but are not articles specifically by good designers about design or their use of textpattern. I am seen as the author rather than the designer and I am not respected for anything.

Many people use txp for blogging. It’s less restrictive than wp. I bet those big names would have chosen txp if they knew more about it or the wp hype wasn’t so strong. WP has its merits but so has txp, so why not give bloggers the opportunity to at least find out about it? At the moment you’d think wp was the only option – you more or less say it yourself.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#51 2008-06-16 00:21:56

kvnmcwebn
Website

There was some kind of subscription plan for designers, what became of that?
I think some ideas were designer listings and a separate forum but i cant remember.
Not quite what peter has in mind but maybe from a similar motivation/perspective.

Edited to say that i didnt know that there were just two devs looking after textpattern – thats mad and puts things in perspective.
Your doing a good job- fair play.

Last edited by kvnmcwebn (2008-06-16 00:24:34)

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#52 2008-06-16 00:25:16

hakjoon
Website

Honestly I kind of feel like the last thing textpattern needs is one more site.

We already have txp.com, txp.net, txp.org, txpmanual, textgarden, textplates, We love txp, txpq, textpattern pro, txplanet, and txpmag

Consolidating all these efforts I think could go a long way.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#53 2008-06-16 06:21:58

jstubbs
Website

hakjoon wrote:

We already have txp.com, txp.net, txp.org, txpmanual, textgarden, textplates, We love txp, txpq, textpattern pro, txplanet, and txpmag

Agreed! I think there is one other site you missed (not surprising!) – a templates site that Wet is taking over, can’t remember it right now…

Peter, I was not referring to a CMS versus a Blog. What I meant was that the product is the same, but packaged differently. Bloggers might need different pages and forms, plus a couple of plugins could be in the download, for example sed_comment_pack.

Why should TXP give up on the blog space? WP is better at it and only focused on blogging, but I have had clients tell me that TXP was better and easier to use after trying it out.

#54 2008-06-16 09:13:43

keith
Website

kvnmcwebn wrote:

Your doing a good job- fair play.

Amen, brother!

Hakjoon wrote:

I have to agree with Jonathan and Patrick: there’s a potential dilution of the Txp “message” here and – more importantly to me – an ongoing uneasy feeling that I never know if the site I happen to be browsing at a given time is carrying the most up to date view of the Txp world.

Keeping a multitude of independent sites “on message” and current is a major issue that could bite you on the butt…

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#55 2008-06-16 12:55:45

maverick
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I partially agree with this statement.

It seems to me that in a healthy project with momentum there is room for unofficial enthusiast sites to resource the community, and all of the unofficial sites were/are a result of past enthusiasm. I’m not sure that it would be ideal for all the sites to be consolidated.

That said, I’m also not sure there is enough templates and plugins, etc. or enough users and momentum to drive all the sites currently out there. I think we appear to be in a momentary lull, momentum-wise.

(By momentum I am referring to perceptions, buzz, etc. The development seems to be more brisk than some folks realize).

I do think it would be helpful if the devs/community could negotiate for at least .com, .org, and .net to resolve to the same website where their content would available in its own section. It would also be valuable to bring in at least one of the template sites into a tighter relationship if not full integration as a section. Coupled with the fresh design being planned, I think these moves might help raise positive perceptions of Textpattern.

Integrating a new section for guest bloggers per zero’s suggestion might help drive traffic and engage more (potential) users. I would prefer it as a section under txp.com.

I don’t find the current presentation tab difficult to understand. I realize some people do. I can see the value of creating a CMS oriented template and a “ready to blog” template. If and until there’s an official templating mechanism, there have been a couple of designers who have packed their designs like a plugin. Paste it in, install, and you have a new theme. Perhaps there could be two themes (cms and blog) packaged as plugins, and included in each download. To make it even easier, perhaps there could be an option during an install on which template to install.

fwiw

Mike

#56 2008-06-16 13:35:20

jstubbs
Website

Sound words, Mike. As Wet said in an earlier post:

wet wrote:

There’s no reason why a part of textpattern.com won’t host contributions maintained by someone else, along the lines of the featured sites section which (in theory) would not be maintained by the developers.

That means templates could be moved from TextGarden to templates.textpattern.com but still be operated by Stuart, if he agreed to the move and was willing to keep managing the site.

Its pretty clear that most important functions of TXP be kept in house – plugins, templates, themes – especially with the new corporate id coming.

#57 2008-06-16 14:12:20

zero
Website

Here are the page ranks according to prchecker.info:
textpattern.com 7/10
textpattern.net, textpattern.org, txpq.com, textgarden.org, welovetxp.com, forum.textpattern.com 6/10
txplanet.net, txpmag.com 5/10
txpmanual.com, textplates.com 4/10

Would moving plugins and templates to subdomains of textpattern.com increase its page rank/visibility?
I think textpattern.com, net and org are on the same server so not considered external links to each other by google.
Any other considerations just from a purely page rank, seo point of view?

Last edited by zero (2008-06-16 14:12:55)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#58 2008-06-16 15:09:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote:

Any other considerations just from a purely page rank, seo point of view?

Page rank is just one indicator, and only one search engine, Google. Yahoo!, MSN Live and all the other engines employ different algorithms. Do a search for “textpattern” on Live.

hakjoon wrote:

Consolidating all our efforts does nothing for Textpattern proper, in actuality having all these sites helps the cause. Before Mary put up the Txp Network Links on the top of this forum and sites started putting a navbar on the top of their sites, there was no correlation of the TxP related sites.

Rather than consolidate, the front page of Textpattern should better highlight community efforts. Isn’t that what the Net is about, HyperLinks?

#59 2008-06-16 15:52:50

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I think one of WP’s finest attributes is the constant need to upgrade for “security fixes”. ;)

I think there might well be some mileage in pointing out that TXP is developed in a solid manner with plenty of testing done by plenty of people for each revision. It might not be fast, but you know with reasonable certainty that an upgrade won’t need repeating 2 weeks later.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#60 2008-06-16 16:17:41

zero
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Do a search for “textpattern” on Live.

Try clicking the back button after you land there. You can’t get away! Perhaps we could do it to all txp sites so nobody can get away no matter hard they try >:->

I agree with Bert about the more the merrier, re links. It’s like a bigger net to catch the butterflies. More is more in this case, imho.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer