Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-04-18 12:02:51

zero
Website

[mention] TXP in the music business

Here’s an interesting piece by David Emery who is the Head of Web Development for one of the largest independent record labels in the UK.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2008-04-18 13:53:56

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [mention] TXP in the music business

That is interesting, a label that gets it.

Every time I go to a music site that is solely flash based, I hit the back button. There’s nothing that I hate more than a site that takes over my browser or requires me to open up a new window for a full screen experience.

An example of a nice musician site is Ben Harper’s site. Nothing flashy, just info on the band, tour dates and a very active fan forum, running my favorite software for human interaction.

#3 2008-04-18 15:15:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for the post, zero. Good stuff.

hcgtv wrote:

That is interesting, a label that gets it.

Re: web design, yeah I mostly agree. Mind you, I think flash as a technology is truly awful; or rather, it’s probably a good technology but I’ve only seen it used well on about 10 sites. Ever.

But as far as Kaplan goes, I don’t believe anyone can have the credibility to question music as art with statements like “No artist is similar, in the same way that nothing they produce is similar”. Riiiight. So the industry hasn’t watered down music to five “popular” genres and then had a tantrum when people don’t value the product? Get me a box of tissues.

Trying not to go OT too much, I’ve been at both ends of the music industry — signed band and Indie label owner — and as far as I can make out, the whole “outcry” over copyright is the big labels’ sour grapes at not seeing the digital revolution coming; and then trying to control it by law against a backlash from consumers who have seen through the charade.

Traditionally, the only winners in music are the labels. The “poor artist” we are told to feel sorry for and support with our cash is just that: poor, because the deals are loaded in the labels’ favour around 90:10. The “advance” is fully recoupable from sales; and then some. I was lucky in that we pretty much broke even; I’d be willing to bet that thousands of talented musicians are in debt after signing lucrative deals because the labels have essentially bought their silence in lieu of The Next Britney.

The sooner that wannabes realise the big labels are nothing more than loan sharks, and that musicians can do stuff for themselves (like the well-designed, functional web sites that Emery describes; touring; merchandising; etc) music can escape the five-genre lull we are in. Perhaps then the artform will be appreciated once more and have perceived value.

</soap box>

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2008-04-18 15:39:48

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Peter… Cool news
Bert… I’m all with you. I really like David Byrne’s site, especially his journal
Stef… David Byrne again

Last edited by colak (2008-04-18 15:40:14)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2008-04-18 15:57:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote:

Stef… David Byrne

Yeah. My business hero… *swoon*

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2008-04-18 16:28:51

masa

colak wrote:

I really like David Byrne’s site, especially his journal

His radio stream is great, too.

#7 2008-05-23 13:17:21

Ray

onstagephotography.com in San Diego runs on TXP.

Board footer