Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-03-27 06:44:27

phillip

Problem adding new users

Hello, I’m new to TXP and gotta say I’m really enjoying figuring it out.
So far everything has gone really smoothly, but when I attempted to a new user I get this error across the top of the screen:

Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address in d:\inetpub\lenoxreign\CMSTEST\textpattern\lib\txplib_misc.php on line 989

Any ideas on whats going on would be greatly appriciated,
Phillip

#2 2008-03-27 08:00:07

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Problem adding new users

Do other php-mail scripts work fine?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#3 2008-03-27 11:23:03

redbot
Plugin Author

Are you testing the site in a local server using xampp or similar?
Then – from what is my experience – it’s nothing to worry about too much.
You should be able to solve this configuring php on your local machine (actually I don’t know how, cos I never needed to add new users on a local install).
Anyway keep in mind that your txp installation will send emails/work flawlessly once you upload the site to your host server.

#4 2008-03-27 14:37:09

phillip

Thanks for the quick replies,

the_ghost – Im not sure, I’m new to php, is there some way I can test another php-mail script?

redbot – I’m testing this on a host server, not my local machine

So, if it is that my host doesnt allow php mail scripts, what would I do to fix that problem?
Thanks for the help!

#5 2008-03-27 15:48:49

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

phillip wrote:

So, if it is that my host doesnt allow php mail scripts, what would I do to fix that problem?
Thanks for the help!

The change for that is almost zero, if we think positively. Almost every host do allow emails be sent by PHP – also mail()-function is by default on and supported. If your on Windows server, it can be that it requires some fixing, as it sometimes do, but in most cases it just requires something, like pre-setting the sending address or configuring php.

Easiest way to know the correct answer is to contact your host. But if your host is so lame that it doesn’t allow emails, then change host. If host is so bad, then it’s just too shitty and not worth of using at all. But change to this in current world is zero, if the host is common or a somewhat “good”.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-03-27 15:50:11)

#6 2008-03-27 19:27:03

phillip

Gocom- Thanks, I’ll check with the host, they seem pretty good..so if they do support php mail, how would I go about pre-setting the sending address or configuring php?

Thanks for the help

#7 2008-03-27 19:51:17

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

phillip wrote:

Thanks, I’ll check with the host, they seem pretty good..so if they do support php mail, how would I go about pre-setting the sending address or configuring php?

Your host probably knows best, and by asking them you should receive your answer: a good host knows all about their servers and how server work.

In example if your on IIS server, it could be that your host tells you to use ini_set('sendmail_from', 'user-at-yourdomain.com'); where you define your email-address that is used to send messages. In example that would go on line 980 in txplib_misc.php. It also could be that they have something wrong with their servers.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-03-27 19:52:50)

#8 2008-06-05 14:19:15

Phlip

I’ve been told to add these by my IIS server host…

ini_set("SMTP","mail.yourdomain.com");
ini_set("smtp_port","25");
ini_set("sendmail_from","validUser@yourDomain.com");

Should this go on line 980 also? I’m in 4.0.6.

Also, I tried this once before using single quote instead of double and got a parse error on the page. Would the single vs. double quotes cause that? thanks for any help.

Last edited by ruud (2008-06-05 16:24:53)

#9 2008-06-05 16:24:25

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

You can put those lines in the config.php file. Much easier when you’re upgrading TXP.
Single or double quotes. Both should work.

Last edited by ruud (2008-06-05 16:25:22)

#10 2008-06-05 18:46:17

Phlip

Thanks ruud, that did the trick.

#11 2010-03-15 04:20:16

laptophobo
Website

Hi. I’m also having a problem with managing users. I had this problem when I was on Local Host, but now that my site is on a server the problem still exists.
Me, as the “publisher” (I’m the original log in) works fine. I then was able to list another, new, user. But that user does not work (it won’t log in). What’s really strange is that when I created (and changed) the password for this new user, my own password changes to that of the new user one. But the new user cannot log in. I then tried to delete that new user, and I can’t.

I am getting the password emailed to my box though. And my Diagnostics say all is good.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks so much!

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

Board footer