Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-02-24 09:13:25

tameboy
Plugin Author

[plugin] [ORPHAN] boy_simplepie_feed

SimplePie Plugin For Textpattern

SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern: a super-fast, easy-to-use RSS and Atom parser.

The up to date documentation for this plugin is currently on the simplepie wiki:

http://simplepie.org/wiki/plugins/textpattern/simplepie_plugin_for_textpattern

I have just taken over the development of this plugin. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in it so I thought I would add this support forum. All comments and ideas welcome (within reason ;) ).

Known Issues

The plugin needs to be updated to comply with plugin naming conventions – hence the title of this support forum. I plan to include this in a 2.0.0 release as it represents quite a change and will involve work for site authors updating their tag names.

Plans for Development

Keep it simple. The ethos will be quick generation of feeds with a minimum of required configuration options.

This need not stop the addition of new features, but it will be considered a requirement that the default installation of the plugin will allow quick and easy to configure use of the SimplePie feed parser.

Last edited by tameboy (2008-02-24 09:14:58)

#2 2008-02-24 09:27:32

tameboy
Plugin Author

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] boy_simplepie_feed

hcgtv wrote:

The biggest issue with the plugin is that the layout of the feeds is hard coded in the plugin. So on my sites, no two plugins have the same code base because of the intended purpose of the site. Looking towards the future, the layout should come from a TxP form, rather than hard coded inside the plugin source code. With the ability of having a form per feed, you can have side menu feeds with just a heading and content feeds with the full text of the feed. As it stands now, you can only use the plugin with one look per site, a bit limited.

Thanks hcgtv, I will certainly consider your comments.

#3 2008-02-27 14:05:57

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

looking forward to its release

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2008-02-27 16:58:45

maniqui
Website

Great news! :D

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2008-02-29 12:52:17

tameboy
Plugin Author

Hi

I will try and get a new version of this plugin out by the end of March. I need to sort out the naming convention issue (see above) and will consider making the layout options more flexible.

Are there any more feature request before I get started on the next version?

Thanks

TB

#6 2008-03-03 23:17:37

nardo

currently I insert a feed on one page… works fine… when I place the same code on another page, I get an ‘error getting feed’ on that page (the original still works fine)… maybe it’s the fact that a cache file already exists??

this is using the original version – not this one! but just mentioning in case

#7 2008-03-21 19:02:36

phual
Website

Can someone please tell me what blindingly obvious mistake I’m making with this code:

<txp:feed items=“3” showdesc=“false” showdate=“j F Y” h=“h2”>http://www.cofe.anglican.org/news/news.rss</txp:feed>

It works perfectly except that it uses heading level 3 instead of level 2. It’s so simple, it has to be something obvious I’m doing wrong!

Stuart

#8 2008-03-21 19:27:44

phual
Website

Actually, I noticed something in the code. Should this line (line 43):

else if ($ftitle != ‘’) $output .= “<h3>$ftitle</h3>”;

actually read like this:

else if ($ftitle != ‘’) $output .= “<{$argv[‘h’]}>$ftitle<{$argv[‘h’]}>”;

Stuart

#9 2008-03-22 02:20:41

tameboy
Plugin Author

Yes you are right, there is an error there, meaning for default feed titles the header tag h3 is output regardless of what you put in the ‘h’ attribute.

I’ll correct that in the next release.

Thanks for finding the solution as well as the problem ;)

#10 2008-03-22 19:34:10

merz1
Website

I am using the SimplePie plug-in in many articles to show some Google news for specific topics. I.e. my article about British singer Duffy has the ten latest news on the bottom.

The problem is the ugly whitespace below the item titles. I know that this is not a core plug-in issue but maybe you can have a look at the problem with the Google news feed? A filter for that issue would be welcome :)

Last edited by merz1 (2008-03-22 19:34:54)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#11 2008-03-23 08:04:51

tameboy
Plugin Author

Hi Merz1

Can I ask what version of the plugin you are using? There looks to be all sorts of ugly unnecessary code being generated with your feeds including horrible image spacers and empty div tags. As far as I can see from the current plugin code this should not be happening.

If you haven’t updated to the latest version (1.2.2) please can you try that first. Let me know if the problem persists.

#12 2008-03-23 08:10:22

tameboy
Plugin Author

nardo wrote:

currently I insert a feed on one page… works fine… when I place the same code on another page, I get an ‘error getting feed’ on that page (the original still works fine)… maybe it’s the fact that a cache file already exists??

Will certainly look at the way caching works. I have a problem with ‘error getting feed’ on one of my sites too.

Board footer