Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-05-09 10:30:06

raveoli
Website

Re: tru_podcast: A podcasting plugin for Textpattern

Hi Nathan

Yes they’re here: iTunes RSS Tags

Currently I’m using “Loudblog“http://www.loudblog.com but recently development was handed over til a third party that I don’t have a lot of faith in. So currently I’m wondering whether I should go back to Textpattern og use Drupal, for my podcast site.

If you feel the iTunes tags are a lot of work, I may be better off going to Drupal on this one?

Thank you for your efforts;-)

#26 2007-05-11 20:35:51

raveoli
Website

schmonz >
You could jut upload your large files via FTP to your files directory, after that the files can be tied to Textpattern in the files-tab, just choose them from the dropdown/popup menu;-)

Nathan >
I’ve decided to go with Textpattern for this. The iTunes-tags I need to specify are quite static (author, image, description, language, copyright, etc), so they could be hardcoded into publish/rss.php, or your plugin, getting the input from a form, if possible.

However, not being a php-programmer, would you be kind to point me in the right direction? ie. best practices, and where in the php to input what…

The reason I wanna have the iTunes-tags in my podcast feed is because they make my podcasts appearance at the iTunes Store look much better, and only those podcasts utilizing the iTunes-tags are eligible to be featured of the iTunes podcast frontpage, which is of course my big dream (weep and whine;-)

Last edited by raveoli (2007-05-11 20:38:49)

#27 2007-05-12 00:51:17

truist
Plugin Author
Website

raveoli – a few thoughts.

First, according to the itunes feed spec (that you linked to earlier), you have to add a line to the top of the RSS feed for the itunes tags to work. To do that, you’d need to modify /textpattern/publish/rss.php. Assuming that you’re using TXP 4.0.4, you should look at line 202 (I think…) as a good place to insert the new line. (This is also something that a plugin simply wouldn’t be able to do, today. You’d have to patch TXP. That means that there’s no real point in me trying to support this in the plugin.) rss.php will change to feeds.php in TXP 4.0.5, so you’ll need to re-apply your change there, when you upgrade (if 4.0.5 ever comes out…)

To add things like copyright, author, image, etc. to the “channel” (rather than the “item”), you’d also need to modify rss.php. I’d look at adding a few lines around line 35.

If you need to add things to each individual “item” (article), your best best is probably to install tru_tags and create a tru_tags_feed_tags form (in the TXP admin). See Step 7 of the instructions for details on what that means. You should be able to put HTML or PHP into that form that adds whatever itunes tags you want to your feeds. If you want it to dynamically get the right description, etc, you could probably pull those values from custom keyword fields. (I know there’s a TXP tag that can do that, but I don’t remember what it is.)

Ping me if you have questions. I can’t promise speedy responses, but I will help.

#28 2007-05-12 11:35:19

raveoli
Website

truist wrote:

You’d have to patch TXP. That means that there’s no real point in me trying to support this in the plugin.) rss.php will change to feeds.php in TXP 4.0.5, so you’ll need to re-apply your change there, when you upgrade (if 4.0.5 ever comes out…)

That makes sense. Thank you for the directions. I’ll also experiment with Tru_Tags, I’ll let you know how it all goes.

PS: What do you mean with the “if 4.0.5 ever comes out…”? Do you think we will rather see 4.1 instead of a 4.0.x update, or not see anything at all?

#29 2007-05-15 00:50:37

truist
Plugin Author
Website

raveoli wrote:

PS: What do you mean with the “if 4.0.5 ever comes out…”? Do you think we will rather see 4.1 instead of a 4.0.x update, or not see anything at all?

I was just letting my frustrations show. 4.0.5 will eventually come out, I’m sure.

#30 2007-05-17 01:13:15

schmonz
Website

raveoli wrote:

You could jut upload your large files via FTP to your files directory, after that the files can be tied to Textpattern in the files-tab, just choose them from the dropdown/popup menu;-)

That worked! Textpattern sure is clever. My feature request is hereby sheepishly rescinded. truist, could you add a note about this upload trick to the tru_podcast docs?

#31 2007-05-17 01:19:57

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Note added – thanks, both of you!

#32 2007-07-07 00:16:19

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Note – there is some additional discussion about possible problems with URLs changing with the 4.0.5 upgrade, over here

#33 2007-11-06 11:58:49

Jeff Gill
Website

I have been using tru_podcast for a few months now, and it has worked great. However, a few weeks ago new episodes stopped appearing in iTunes (on people’s local computers; it’s not listed in the iTunes Store). No amount of updating or re-subscribing will cause current episodes to show up. The feed itself appears to be fine. I’ve checked it in Safari & with Google Reader. The problem is only in iTunes. I am not aware of any changes being made to anything in Textpattern, the tru-podcast plugin, or the way we are publishing the articles. Can anyone provide some insight? The feed in question is coming from this page: http://www.i61.org/podcast

Hair is being pulled out!

#34 2008-02-22 14:26:46

squaredeye
Website

I’m storing the mp3 files on a clients site in a sub directory.

In the article form if I use <txp:tru_podcast_link linktext="Podcast" title="Podcast Feed" class="listen" />, it returns a direct URL to the mp3 rather than creating a feed link.

What do I need to change?

Matthew

#35 2008-06-07 16:32:50

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Not sure what may be wrong, but I tried this plugin and the resulting rss feed wouldn’t make the enclosure show up in google reader. if i switch to atom, then it does? i had to result to using this method instead which seems to work fine in google reader.

just a heads up.

#36 2009-10-14 13:49:51

douglgm
Website

Just tried to use this plugin under TXP: 4.2.0 and am getting a bunch of errors at the top of the feed, the first of which is “<pre>Tag error: <b></b> -> <b> Notice: Undefined index: query on line 148</b></pre>”

Does this plugin work under 4.2.0?

Board footer