Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-02-03 19:43:14

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Designer Blue 4.0.6

Now that TXP 4.0.6 has arrived I can finally release this.

This is a full installation of Textpattern 4.0.6 with a few modifications and additions.

It is meant to be a completely separate install to your website, either “live” or within the development environment on your PC/Mac. It should definitely not be used for client-sites unless you are prepared to remove the “EditArea” functions before handing the site over. (This isn’t as difficult as it may seem.)

If you wish to use it for a “live” site you should note that there are several modifications to the standard install. These include:-

1. a completely new set of images in the /textpattern/txp_img/ directory.
  2. modifications to the txplib_head.php file in the /textpattern/lib/ directory, the txp_tag.php file, the txp_form.php file and the txp_article.php file all in the /textpattern/include/ directory.
  3. modifications to the txpsql.php and index.php files in the /textpattern/setup/ directory (though once setup is complete these are removed anyway).
  4. the standard textpattern.css file has been moved into the /textpattern/setup/ directory so that when this directory is deleted after installation this file will also be removed as it is not needed once installation is complete.
  5. additional folders have been included such as /_templates/, /textpattern/editarea/, /textpattern/css/ and /textpattern/js/.
  6. original versions of all modified or removed textpattern files are contained in the “removed or modified textpattern files” directory of the download file.

What is this?

“Designer Blue” is a Textpattern installation which is aimed directly at website designers.

It includes the automatic insertion of the A Bit Blue admin style.

In addition all necessary files for EditArea are included and coding automatically installed. Underneath the page, form, CSS and plug-in code textareas you will now see an added “toggle” checkbox. When clicked the textarea will change to give you full syntax-highlighting, line numbers, character map, font-resizing in the EditArea window, search, search and replace, goto line, undo, redo, tabbing and the abilty to go full-screen.

The EditArea docs are included in case you want to make your own modifications to the standard installation setup. This is all done in the txplib_head.php file in the /textpattern/lib/ directory.

Patrick’s (Pat64) code for including “Thickbox” functionality on the “Write” page has been added. If you have an article open you will now see 2 different “View” tags above the textarea. One is the “Normal” (standard) view and one uses “Thickbox”. Take your pick.

Guiguibonbon’s code for adding “type” titles to the form template listing has been included along with added CSS to highlight the name of “the current file being edited” in red. Highlighting also works for the page template and CSS template pages.

The hcg_templates plug-in is included to enable you to export all the page, form and css templates for your latest design with a couple of clicks or to import one. This will need to be installed manually once you have Textpattern up and running.

CrystalX is a website theme which is included in the install. Once you have the hcg_templates plug-in installed and activated go to the Extensions tab and see how easy it is to import a style created by this plug-in. If all styles were made this way life would be a lot easier for the Textpattern novice. Once you have imported it go to TxPide for details relating to section and preferences setup.

Installation is pretty much the same as a standard TXP install but instructions are included.

That’s it. Pretty painless really.

Enjoy!

Download Designer_Blue_4.0.6.zip

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-02-04 11:25:51)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2008-02-03 20:43:09

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Designer Blue 4.0.6

thebombsite wrote:

… rather than I type it all out again.

Cut & Paste is a wonderful thing. :)

#3 2008-02-03 22:17:48

zero
Website

So the whole point of this is that you get a better admin interface?

I don’t like it much. The blue colour is OK but everything else is no improvement, imho. Normally I am happy with txp admin except for the size of textarea#html and textarea#css which I usually reduce the height of. But now I can’t do that by editing textpattern.css (after moving it back to /textpattern folder from its banishment to setup) probably because there’s a whole lot of new javascript in the head. You seem to be forcing me to try the EditArea javascript editor. But what if I don’t want to do that? Perhaps I’m a Luddite but I never found any advantage in editors.

hcg_templates is a great plugin, little know or tried I think, so it’s nice it’s included. So is the beautiful Crystal X theme. Fortunately installation into txp is already a doddle so it looks like I won’t be using ‘textpattern +’ for a while yet.

But it’s nice to have an alternative. Thanks.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2008-02-03 22:20:36

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi Stuart.

I can’t access to your website. Server says “Database unavailable.”

Edit: all is fine now :)

Last edited by Pat64 (2008-02-03 22:35:31)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#5 2008-02-04 11:50:18

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@Michael – Sorry. I was getting tired and just wanted to switch the damned machine off and watch a DVD or two. Cut ‘n’ Paste it is then. ;)

@Peter – I’m really not trying to force anyone to do anything. As you say it is simply an alternative for those that might find the additions useful. The admin style is available separately on Textgarden for those that just want the style. Patrick’s and Guiguibonbon’s code is available here in the forum for those that just want these additions. The plug-in and CrystalX style are available on Bert’s site. As for the style, moving it back to the /textpattern/ directory means you would have to change the call to the style sheet in the txplib_head.php file as it is currently looking for it in the CSS tab. The idea of having it in the CSS tab is to make it simple to modify and see instant results. You will also see that I have separated out all the colour and border CSS and placed it at the bottom which should make it a fairly simple job to change colours to something that is more pleasing to the individual taste of the user. I just happen to like blue. Whether I had made it blue, green, orange or purple there would always be people that didn’t like the colour. ;)

@Patrick – I was having a problem with a slow site yesterday. Don’t know what the problem was though I couldn’t download my emails. Seems OK now. :)

Stuart

#6 2008-02-04 13:34:30

zero
Website

You’re right Stuart, as usual :) You’ve given designers more options so I can’t complain really. I was feeling grumpy, sorry!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#7 2008-02-04 13:59:43

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

No need to apologise. Constructive criticism is always welcome. :)

Of course, now we all want to know why you were feeling grumpy? ;)

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-02-04 14:02:44)

Stuart

#8 2008-02-04 18:51:27

zero
Website

I’ve become more addicted to grumpiness over the years. I love a good grumble now and then, don’t you ;) But don’t worry, I’m not intending to write a “dramatic” article about you in the near future ;)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#9 2008-02-04 18:55:20

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I love a good grumble too but try and give me a weeks notice if you intend to do anything in future please. :)

Stuart

Board footer