Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-14 20:33:58

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

blacklisted word or url in comments (developers weblog)?

i’m trying to post this as a comment to the latest textpattern weblog entry. i get this as a response:

“You have used a blacklisted word or url.”

I have no idea what the blacklisted word(s) or url(s) are or why they even would be so. i don’t really want to start posting it in chunks either just to see whats not allowed. is it just too many links or something? i didn’t even know you could even blacklist words/urls in your comments.

eugene: It’s not.

You’d think the complete absence of posts since the release of 4.0.5 would have at least built up the next entry to be something a little more (re: a LOT more) significant in terms of news, development, anything at all thats actually relevant to TXP.

Anyway this is what I would have have written here and may be helpful to others passing by:

More power to custom fields

Two brilliant plugins are now available that finally empowers custom fields in Textpattern. glz_custom_fields allows you to have customizable custom fields (for example you can now have them as predetermined radio/dropdown choices). Please check out the screencast as it’ll demonstrate much more than I’m able to with words. This plugin is available via donation.

If you don’t need that much flexibility or just want a free alternative, theres also sed_section_fields which allows you to specify which fields you see for each section! gone are the days where you have to explain to your client why those powerful custom fields are somehow on every single Write page.

Maintenance mode!

We all need to experience and tinker with our sites online now and then. rvm_maintenance comes along to help alleviate the downtime that can be experienced.

Integrated e-commerce is coming to Textpattern

Textcommerce is an ongoing project by Levi and the folks at culturezoo whos aim is to provide a simple, session-based, paypal-oriented cart with a well thought out admin backend that should cover most of what small shops/businesses need. The backend alpha version is available for testing while the shopping cart portion of the plugin was just released a few weeks ago. They are welcoming testers/bug reporters/feedback via their site/comments.

Textpattern 4.0.6

The release of 4.0.6 is just around the corner now with bug fixes, more speed (now less queries per article) a handful of new tags and improvements to some old ones. As I’m not a developer I can only tell you so much. You can view the history.txt revision currently in progress for a more complete overview.

welovetxp and txpq

While txpmag.com appears to stay dormant, new sites have arrived to showcase Textpattern. Sites like welovetxp.com may surprise you with the beautiful sites people are creating using Textpattern as its backend. It’s still a relatively new site but with well over 320+ TXP-powered sites listed and growing.

txpq.com appears to be a quirky and fun approach to a magazine site about Textpattern. It currently features a few interviews with many of the TXP developers and users but most notably demonstrates the site author’s (Peter) enthusiasm and passion for the wonderful little cms we love.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-12-14 20:49:24)

#2 2007-12-15 11:52:33

zero
Website

Re: blacklisted word or url in comments (developers weblog)?

Steve, I successfully posted your message above on a site of mine also hosted by Textdrive. This indicates that it is not a word that is the problem. I’ve had trouble in the past with relative links using ../ or ../../ All I can suggest is to check your links or it might possibly be this:

testers/bug reporters/feedback via their site/comments.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#3 2007-12-15 12:01:18

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

i can post that exact comment (textile links and all) on my own textpattern-powered sites so it looks like the blacklisting words/urls were added to textpattern.com’s installation manually somehow. i’m sure its some form of spam protection but i can’t imagine why it would be blocking any of that.

#4 2007-12-15 12:11:15

zero
Website

I’ve had most trouble on subdomains. ‘ftp’ is banned so it might be some new innocuous word.
Or perhaps because you’ve turned a funny thread into a serious one ;-)
And anyway, it IS significant to typewriter bloggers :-)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#5 2007-12-15 13:23:27

els

Plugin? Or plugin?

#6 2007-12-16 10:15:57

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Too many links. Els’ second link.

Last edited by Mary (2013-01-24 17:25:38)

#7 2007-12-30 20:43:01

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

I’m using the same anti-spam plugin on my own blog, but I’ve customized it a bit to provide a friendlier error message (importantly, it’s still vague enough that the spammers can’t figure out how the filter works):

Oops, you set off the comment spam filter. Try re-wording your comment and submitting it again. Sorry for the hassle, but this is the only way to keep the site spam-free.

A similar change might be helpful for the dev blog.

Meanwhile, it would certainly be nice to see “what’s up in the community” posts on the dev blog that are similar to the one Steve suggests. I know that the developers are busy and don’t particularly enjoy updating the blog, but one of these posts each month would help show the world just how lively and innovative the Textpattern community really is.

Board footer