Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-26 16:51:18

baby
Plugin Author
Website

ort_admintables: a manager for plugins' tables

This plugin is designed to help users of plugins that require them to create new tables in the database.

Some plugins need to create additional tables in the Textpattern database. Some of them (like this one) care to create and remove their own tables, however, some plugins give the user one or more text files with the commands required for MySQL to create the tables needed.

In these cases, the user is forced to use the mysql command line or the phpmyadmin tool in order to create the tables.

This plugin, although somehow still raw, is (hopefully) a simpler way to create tables for this kind of plugin.

The plugin was developed by Marcelo Vázquez, a student in the Instituto de Tecnología ORT for the course Seminario de Tecnología y Aplicaciones where I teach.

You can download the plugin here

Documentation can be found in the Resources site

This is kinda beta… it has some rough edges… if there is enough interest in this, I may put another student in the next semester to polish this one.

Regards

Mariano AbsatzEl Baby

I don’t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#2 2007-12-26 17:16:27

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: ort_admintables: a manager for plugins' tables

What is the advantage of this plugin compared to rss_admin_db_manager ?

#3 2007-12-26 17:48:38

baby
Plugin Author
Website

Well, it is intended to do much less than Rob’s wonderful plugin :-)

It is oriented to entry-level users that might get frightened by the almost-phpmyadmin-ity of Rob’s plugin. I see Rob’s plugin more as a plugin developer/power user tool than as an end-user tool

ort_admintables has two small features that I think might help new users that rss_admin_db_manager doesn’t (or I haven’t found)

1. It automatically inserts the table prefix in the name of the tables it creates.
  2. It associates the tables to a plugin, so you can see which plugins made you create which tables (and even drop the tables after you uninstalled the respective plugins).

Regards

Mariano AbsatzEl Baby

#4 2007-12-27 01:04:34

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Mariano

Those two features sound interesting — especially the ability to track a plugin with tables it creates.

Can this track insertions of fields or rows into existing tables? Insertion of fields (columns) into tables is something that some plugins do and insertion of rows (especially into txp_prefs) is something that many plugins do.

BTW, many thanks for your class’s input to the Txp arena; there are some interesting pieces of work coming in from them.

Steve

#5 2007-12-28 00:41:37

baby
Plugin Author
Website

net-carver wrote:

Mariano

Those two features sound interesting — especially the ability to track a plugin with tables it creates.

Can this track insertions of fields or rows into existing tables? Insertion of fields (columns) into tables is something that some plugins do and insertion of rows (especially into txp_prefs) is something that many plugins do.

well… I don’t think we’ll be able to do this, since we’re actually doing some kind of brute parsing of the sql code entered in the window and I think most plugins that alter tables or insert data into txp_prefs do this internally… ort_admintables, so far, can only handle tables created externally (via sql script)…

But if we come out with a neat idea, I can put someone to do it – however, they’d be doing this next semester, which starts in March and ends in July :-(

Regards.

Mariano AbsatzEl Baby

#6 2007-12-28 07:28:07

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

You could have the plugin store a description of the database and periodically compare the current to the stored. It wouldn’t let you know which plugin modified things, but at least you’d know what was modified.

Board footer