Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#361 2007-12-27 02:01:15

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

mhulse wrote:

Using <txp:tru_tags_handler />, can I tell it not to display a the tag cloud? I would prefer to do this manually using <txp:tru_tags_cloud />.

I don’t quite get it. What do you mean by this?

Any thoughts on this? When I go to my “tag” section, the tags are displayed via the tru_tags_handler… Can that feature be turned off?

I don’t get this neither. You don’t want to show tagcloud? Or you don’t want to show relately tagged articles?

<txp:tru_tags_handler /> just shows the articles inside specific form, <txp:tru_tags_cloud /> outputs the form. If you have cloud there just remove it from your template/forms as <txp:tru_tags_handler /> only outputs the articles.

Cheers!

#362 2007-12-27 02:21:59

mhulse
Plugin Author

Hi Gocom! Thanks for the help… sorry if I am being vague. :(

I did not realize that tru_tags_handler only dealt with the articles… I think I need to take a second look at my templates then… Because when I go to the default “site.com/tag” “section”, it looks like the handler outputs a cloud by default.

Thanks for the help though… I am probably just doing something wrong here.

I will dig-into this deeper and report back my findings… that is, if I find anything to report on. :D

Cheers,
Micky

Last edited by mhulse (2007-12-27 02:22:20)

#363 2007-12-27 05:52:14

mhulse
Plugin Author

<txp:if_section name="tag">
<txp:tru_tags_handler />
<txp:else />

For me, <txp:tru_tags_handler /> definitely outputs a tag cloud.

Additionally, I have not specified a form, but it is using the default form, not the default search form like it says in the documentation:

Note that tru_tags_handler uses the default “search_form” form for rendering its output, or you can override this with the searchform attribute.

Not that I am complaining though. This is an amazing plugin. I am blown away at the quality of worksmanship. I wish I could develop something this amazing and robust! :D

Additionally, my template setup is a little complex, so I am sure I am A) confusing myself with complex templating, or B) setting-up the tru_tag wrong.

No one else is seeing <txp:tru_tags_handler /> (with no attributes specified) generate a tag cloud (when no tags are in url)?

Last edited by mhulse (2007-12-27 05:53:17)

#364 2007-12-27 06:16:12

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

No one else is seeing <txp:tru_tags_handler /> (with no attributes specified) generate a tag cloud (when no tags are in url)?

Yes, it does output tagcloud when no tag is viewed. I just wonder why you want to take it off, as no-one tag is meant to be tag-viewing section.

Cheers!

#365 2007-12-27 06:24:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Forgotten to write the solution. Well it is:

<txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>
<txp:tru_tags_handler />
</txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>

Now it renders the <txp:tru_tags_handler /> only when a tag is specified.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gocom (2007-12-27 06:25:15)

#366 2007-12-27 06:26:58

mhulse
Plugin Author

Gocom wrote:

Yes, it does output tagcloud when no tag is viewed. I just wonder why you want to take it off, as no-one tag is meant to be tag-viewing section.

Hi Gocom. Thanks for your time. And thank you for the clarification.

I guess I would prefer to manually show the cloud with <txp:tru_tags_cloud />, even on the tag index page.

One benefit of this approach: I do not have to repeat the attributes for both tags (less redundancy and upkeep).

Well, not a big deal either way. Hehe. Glad to hear I am not doing it wrong.

Have a great one!
Cheers,
Micky

#367 2007-12-27 06:28:21

mhulse
Plugin Author

Gocom wrote:

Now it renders the <txp:tru_tags_handler /> only when a tag is specified.

Whoa! Nice one! Thanks!!!! :D

That approach works wonderfully. I owe you a brewski!

Cheers!

Last edited by mhulse (2007-12-27 06:31:12)

#368 2007-12-28 19:02:14

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Hey all – again, sorry for my absence. I again didn’t get an email about the updates. (I do’ have the “Subscribe” checkbox checked.) Maybe my spam filter is blocking them – I’ll check that.

Either way, it sounds like all the issues have been worked out in my absence – thanks! To review:

zero, net-carver is right – if you’ve deleted the plugin, then the problem must be somewhere else.

mhulse, Gocom has it right, but let me explain why tru_tags works that way. tru_tags_handler has two purposes. Its primary purpose is to render the results of a tag search, as you expect. It also knows how to render a tag cloud, just in case there is no tag specified. I had to do something with that URL, and rendering a tag cloud seemed reasonable. I couldn’t imagine a case where someone would directly link to that page. It sounds like you have such a situation, though :)

In your case, you have a number of options. tru_tags_handler is just calling out to tru_tags_cloud to render the cloud, so it should accept all the same attributes as tru_tags_cloud. If, as you say, you prefer to just maintain a single tru_tags_cloud call, you can also do what Gocom suggested and wrap tru_tags_handler in an “if”.

Last edited by truist (2007-12-28 19:02:39)

#369 2007-12-29 01:21:01

merz1
Website

> I couldn’t imagine a case where someone would directly link to that page.

A-Z index :-) … for better performance …

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#370 2007-12-29 16:11:58

jstubbs
Website

Is it possible to place a tag cloud in each section, that only pulls out tags from article in that section?

Edit: Sorry – found the answer in the docs.

Last edited by jstubbs (2007-12-29 17:33:48)

#371 2007-12-29 21:14:36

mhulse
Plugin Author

truist wrote:

mhulse, Gocom has it right, but let me explain why tru_tags works that way. tru_tags_handler has two purposes. Its primary purpose is to render the results of a tag search, as you expect. It also knows how to render a tag cloud, just in case there is no tag specified. I had to do something with …<snip>… attributes as tru_tags_cloud. If, as you say, you prefer to just maintain a single tru_tags_cloud call, you can also do what Gocom suggested and wrap tru_tags_handler in an “if”.

Hi Truist, many thanks for your reply! I really appreciate the detailed explanation. Very informative.

The Gocom solution worked very well.

Thanks for this amazing plugin! I hope one of these days I can write a plugin that you find just as useful and amazing as tru_tags (one can dream, right?) :D

Have a great day!
Cheers,
M

#372 2007-12-30 04:04:34

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks, mhulse. I’m glad you enjoy it :)

Board footer