Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-12-10 17:19:57

zero
Website

Let's See Yours forum

Let’s See Yours isn’t used very much nowadays and perhaps it has to do with people having different reasons for using it.

1 Some people want to show off their site to their friends so they will say ‘cool’, ‘great work’, ‘wow I’m glad I know you’ etc.

2 Some want a link for SEO purposes and hope they will get traffic.

3 Some want to show how they used a plugin a new way or did something cool and would like to educate us.

4 Some want a critique from fellow professionals.

5 Some want a critique from anybody.

6 Some want people to use and test their site and give feedback.

7 Some couldn’t care less. Etcetera.

I’ve quite possibly annoyed some people when I’ve given my first impressions of their site when they didn’t ask for it. But it’s a public forum and personally I welcome all comments, good or bad, and thought that other people would prefer feedback to none at all. But some people might not want me in any way linked to their site via comments on a forum, especially critical ones. Perhaps their customers will get a bad impression or something.

Anyway, I’ve given my viewpoint as an example of how there may be misunderstanding and to see if there was an easy way to be more certain of not scaring people away or getting more out of the forum. Has anyone got any good suggestions?

My suggestion is that perhaps people could indicate in the first line of any post one of the following:

Professional critique wanted
User critique wanted
Usability testing wanted
Praise wanted
or nothing at all means anything goes.

Perhaps people have other suggestions to improve the Let’s See Yours forum?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2007-12-10 17:32:49

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Let's See Yours forum

as this is a public forum theres not much you can do to control how people will say things. you have to take into consideration language barriers as well as someone who doesn’t necessarily speak 100% english/whatever language might leave feedback that they think were acceptable but others might consider quite rude.

i also think many secret textpattern users don’t even use these forums anyway. if it were not for welovetxp.com i would have absolutely no idea how many beautiful looking sites were run by textpattern.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-12-10 17:33:16)

#3 2007-12-10 17:51:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I moderated the Let’s See Your’s, Then forum for almost a year.

Basically I followed the link to their site, fixed the link if I needed to (textile), then went about clicking everywhere on the site. If I came upon a mistake, or found something that didn’t feel right, I would bring it up.

But at least I would say something, at least, Yo Dude, nice page!

Edit: Let me just add one more thing, a forum like Let’s See Your’s shouldn’t be archived like it’s being done now. Many of the sites I’ve added to it are now in the Archive forum, so if I update a site and want to bump my thread, I’m forced to create a new one.

Last edited by hcgtv (2007-12-10 18:05:01)

#4 2007-12-10 19:01:17

zero
Website

iblastoff – the reason I posted was to see how LSYT could be improved so people might use it more. We Love TXP is a great site but it gets few comments as well. On LSYT, the designer gets a chance to say what they want and it’s more set up for discussion than WLTXP. There will always be language problems but I think it is more of a problem when people say nothing at all. What are newbies to think when they post their new pride and joy and get no response at all, or ask for advice and nobody gives any? I just think that if every new topic started with one of my suggestions (or better ones) then everyone reading would know what kind of response was appropriate.

Bert – it’s great that you tested and gave feedback. I wish more people would do the same. Did you find sometimes, however, that they didn’t want your feedback? I was hoping that we might find a way to cut misunderstanding down to a minimum.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#5 2007-12-10 19:22:46

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote:

Did you find sometimes, however, that they didn’t want your feedback?

No, that never happened, everybody was always happy to hear feedback.

I think that’s all we ask for, an acknowledgment, a pat on the head so to speak. It’s the dead silence that hurts much much more in my opinion.

#6 2007-12-10 21:31:52

zero
Website

hcgtv wrote:

everybody was always happy to hear feedback.

You must be a lot more sensitive and tactful than me then ;)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#7 2007-12-10 21:43:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote:

You must be a lot more sensitive and tactful than me then ;)

Nah, I’m just color blind :)

Board footer