Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

Thanks!

#338 2007-11-30 17:10:53

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

Hello,

after updating from v. 2.3 to 3.0 I can’t bring “tru_tags” to work together with messy urls (I can’t use clean urls).
On the administration page I set the option “?=messy”, but all the taglinks on the administration page, in the tagcloud and in the tags related to article list are with clean urls like that.
website/tag/tagname
but this doesn’t work, of course.
So maybe I have something missed by updating?

Any help is appreciated …

Andreas

#339 2007-12-02 15:04:55

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

After downgrading to 2.3 everything works fine with messy urls.
Taglinks are successfully generated in this way
http://www.ukraine-nachrichten.de/?s=tag&t=Achmetow

I use textpattern 4.05.
No help available???

Andreas

#340 2007-12-02 15:35:17

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I tested out with an induvidual two servers what whocarez was saying, and I have to say: I notice the same. I can not turn clean url off, what ever I do in the preferences – the only way was editing the plugin’s code. Fornaturely, I have no need for messy URLs.

Maybe it’s case for bug-report and fix? Because the pref ain’t doing no-good & anything.

Cheers!

#341 2007-12-02 18:16:08

MagnusBerg

Is it a maximum numbers of keywords for each article?
My reason to ask is that yesterday I was writing a blog post and clicked on the keywords in the tru_tags list and filled up the keywords window. But then I saved he article lots of keywords was removed and the last of the keywords, which where left, was cut of and only a few of the letters remained.
28 keyword including, all together, 279 caracters was all I got left after that I saved the article. Is there a maximum or is this limitation a bug or some other fault?

#342 2007-12-03 12:48:42

truist
Plugin Author
Website

All – sorry for my unresponsiveness. I didn’t get an email about any of this latest thread, so I hadn’t realized that it happened. I’ll dig into these issues (hopefully tonight) and get back to you. In brief:

glz – that’s very strange. I’m surprised that it’s broken on the admin side but working on the public side – both use the same code to generate the tag cloud. What are the parameters to your tru_tags_cloud (or tru_tags_list) function on your public side? For this one, I’m going to just straight to asking for credentials to poke around and see if I can figure it out. If you’re comfortable doing that, please send them to truist-20071203@truist.com.

whocarez – That looks like a bona-fide bug, and an obvious one. I’ll figure out the problem and post a new version. Sorry about that!

MagnusBerg – I recently discovered this issue myself. Textpattern sets a database limit on the Keywords field of 255 characters. So that means that tru_tags can only support however many tags you can fit into the Keywords field. I could tell you how to update the field limit manually, if you like, but I don’t know of any great way to fix it long-term. (I suppose I could have tru_tags update it, but that seems very invasive. How much do you need this ability?)

#343 2007-12-03 18:21:59

MagnusBerg

Thanks for your answer.

I you got time and interest I should appreciate a explanation on the topic how I could expand the keyword limit. Then I write long texts I could have use for lots of keywords but this is not a real big issue. The main thing is that I now know why the keywords behaved as they did.

#344 2007-12-03 20:35:13

typeshige
Website

Thank you very much for this plugin! We use it in all our articles and the 3.0 has been excellent, especially the admin side.

I was merging some tags and I ran into something. I found that my cloud had two very similar tags that I wanted to combine, “m star” and “m stars”.

Renaming “m star” to “m stars” resulted in 0 updated rows. Is this because they are too similar?

I can fix this manually, but I just wanted to let you know.

#345 2007-12-04 12:24:47

truist
Plugin Author
Website

All – one more day, and I’ll have some answers for you. I had a computer die last night and had to spend the night rebuilding it. I should be able to debug things tonight.

typeshige – I’m surprised by that situation, but I’ll test it out and see if I can figure it out.

#346 2007-12-04 15:57:37

typeshige
Website

just a snippet of my tags:

methane, methanogen, microbes, microbial mats, microscopy, moon, m star, m stars, nai arc team, nai asu team

Results

Updated 0 rows (“m star”=>“m stars”)
Redirect added (“m star”=>“m stars”) – please test it!

I hope that helps,
Shige

#347 2007-12-05 02:37:06

truist
Plugin Author
Website

All – I’ve posted v3.1, but it only fixes whocarez’s issue with messy URLs. (I also updated the admin-page text to be clearer.) I can’t reproduce the other issues:

glz – I’ve looked around the code again, and I can’t figure out why you’d be seeing that behavior. The vast majority of the cloud-generation code is shared between the admin side and the public side, and it barely changed during the upgrade to 3.0. Do you have any unusual tags? What version of Textpattern are you using? Can you send me credentials so I can try to debug it?

MagnusBerg – if you have mysql 5.0.3 (or above), and shell access to your database, you can run the following SQL statement to expand your keywords field:

alter table textpattern modify Keywords varchar(1000) not null

If your tables have a prefix, you may need to add it. This will expand the field to 1000 characters – I think you can go up to 65000 if you want, but I wouldn’t suggest it :) I tested it myself at 1000 characters, and it worked.

typeshige – I tried reproducing this with the tag list you sent, and can’t make it happen. (It successfully renames the tags for me.) I’m not sure where to go from here – are you willing to send me login credentials so I can try to debug? If so, please send them to truist-20071204@truist.com.

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 05:24:20)

#348 2007-12-10 20:55:24

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

Thanks, it is working ….. :-)

Andreas

Board footer