Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-11-27 15:41:01

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

[plugin] [ORPHAN] sed_section_fields

Per-Section Custom Fields

Version: 0.3.138 download link (or compressed)

Summary

This is an admin plugin for Txp 4.0.6 that…

1. Allows you to define the visibility of your custom fields on a per-section basis (from the presentation > sections tab.)
  2. The set of custom fields that are shown in the content > write tab are updated on-the-fly every time you change your article’s section.
  3. Allows you to control what sections your non-publisher users get to choose from when writing or editing articles.
  4. Inter-operates with glz_custom_fields and the MLP Pack.

This is a tentative plan for upcoming releases…

Version Status Feature
0.4 Use of jQuery to re-arrange the section tab.
BETA Add a live filter to the index of sections on the new section tab layout. This should allow you to quickly locate a section if you have a lot of them. Now works on www.yourdomain.tld and yourdomain.tld
0.5 Allow per-section control of the visibility of remaining advanced options on the write tab.

Change log…

v0.3.138

If upgrading from v0.2 you will need to go to the upgrade link in the plugin’s help file.

Notes…

• Now works on IE
  • Now requires sed_plugin_library v0.5 or above.
  • Compatible with the MLP Pack.
  • Re-written to use jQuery

Bugfixes…

** removed 20 field limit
** retain your field choices over section saves
** creation of new sections on the section tab now immediately shows the extra controls

New features…

** Show all / hide all custom field links on the section tab
** Sections can be excluded from the write tab section selection box that non-publisher admin users get to see

v0.2.112

• Compatible with glz_custom_fields
  • For TXP 4.0.5+ (Now uses jQuery)

v0.2.111

• Bugfix for 4.0.5 — Now works for non-publishers.
  • Update for 4.0.6 — Now works!

v0.1.109

• Bugfix: Stop serving admin-only javascript to the public interface.
  • Feature: Added MLP internationalisation support.

v0.1.85

• First public release.

I hope you find it useful. Please feed back with ideas/bugs.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-07-19 03:37:59)

Steve

#2 2007-11-27 17:01:00

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] sed_section_fields

amazing!

small thing i’ve noticed so far is that upon saving a section, it returns you to the regular section area without the added ‘Label for custom field #’ inputs. upon clicking the section link again, it all re-appears though.

the one caveat is that i’ve already employed gerhards glz_custom_fields which allows custom fields to be realized as radio inputs, select dropdown box, etc etc. at a glance i don’t see these two plugins playing too well together. definitely would be nice to have both integrated! (i think gerhard has this sort of idea planned for future versions though i dont think hes been around lately)

either way, this is awesome!

edit: nevermind about the first thing. seems to work just fine. might have just been a cache issue.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-11-27 17:02:23)

#3 2007-11-27 17:02:57

sthmtc
Website

oh, wow. this is totally awesome. if only it would play together with gerhards glz_custom_fields … maybe you guys can team up? that would be the killer custom field plugin, i guess!!

#4 2007-11-27 17:30:56

redbot
Plugin Author

sthmtc and iblastoff,
you posted faster than me… I was asking for the same thing (sed_section_fields and glz_custom_fields integration).
Anyway this plugin is great! thank you

Last edited by redbot (2007-11-27 17:32:38)

#5 2007-11-27 17:46:10

redbot
Plugin Author

Steve,
-I have a small suggestion, could it be possible to choose to hide the standard custom field labels that are not overridden in the—section tab?
I’ll try to explain better: if I need 3 custom fields in section1 and only 2 in section2, when I write an article in section 2 I still have a —“useless” custom field. I hope this makes sense.

Ooops! never mind, as usual I posted before thinking, sorry!
By the way, if I understand correctly, when using this plugin it’s better to leave untouched the custom fields configuration in “advanced preferences” tab , right?
cheers!

Last edited by redbot (2007-11-27 18:18:17)

#6 2007-11-27 22:18:17

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Simply amazing Steve!
Who is the winner for “the plugin of the year” : you or Gerard? :)
Best regards,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#7 2007-11-28 00:11:48

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

redbot wrote:

if I understand correctly, when using this plugin it’s better to leave untouched the custom fields configuration in “advanced preferences” tab , right?

That’s up to you. The plugin will use your per-section field names (if any) to override the ones from the advanced prefs. This might be useful if you need a common field (or fields) across all your sections because it saves you entering the common field name in every section. So it really depends upon your specific site’s requirements.

Steve

#8 2007-11-28 01:19:23

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have never tried or experienced glz_custom_fields so I have no idea of the amount of work you’re asking for with the integration. I don’t plan integrating them at the moment. My first thought on the matter is that it would probably be easier for glz_custom_fields to suck-in the functionality of this plugin.

Will keep it in mind.

Last edited by net-carver (2007-11-28 01:37:11)

Steve

#9 2007-11-28 09:42:36

redbot
Plugin Author

net-carver wrote:
That’s up to you. The plugin will use your per-section field names (if any) to override the ones from the advanced prefs. This might be useful if you need a common field (or fields) across all your sections because it saves you entering the common field name in every section. So it really depends upon your specific site’s requirements.

Yes you’re right, thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by redbot (2007-11-28 15:42:04)

#10 2007-11-28 15:37:20

mrdale
Website

Wonderfully useful! Thanks so much Steve.

Like others, I have started using glz. Looks like we need to beg Gerhard to roll this function into glz.

Last edited by mrdale (2007-11-28 15:37:37)

#11 2007-11-28 16:05:11

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

net-carver wrote:

Can I assume from this that any pre-existing field names and custom field data are safe from alteration or deletion when this plugin is activated and configured? It sounds like I’d just need to enter any pre-established custom field into all the sections where I want it to show.

#12 2007-11-28 16:17:53

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

mrdale

thanks for the positive feedback. Noticed your post to Gerhard too.

Logoleptic

This plugin doesn’t touch the custom field content in any way shape or form. It justs shows/hides and re-labels fields based on the merge of the section and global labels.

It sounds like I’d just need to enter any pre-established custom field into all the sections where I want it to show.

Sounds right. If it isn’t going to be a common field across all your sections then you’ll need to enter it into those specific sections where you want it making sure that it has the same field number as the original and then remove the original label from the admin > prefs > advanced page.

Steve

Board footer