Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-08-18 02:12:43

mhulse
Plugin Author

Template Globals, and better form organization

Hi,

First, I love TXP. Amazing work… Big props to all you developers.

Second, as soon as I have a few extra bucks in my bank I will donate some $$.

Third, just thought I would post a few suggestions:

• Expression Engine has this nice thing called Template Global Variables… Basically it is a great way to re-use code that does not involve an “embed.” I personally really like using this feature and would like to see something similar in TXP. For my latest project, I have many “code snippets” that use txp:output_forms… It seems like these small pieces of code would be better off in a Global Template Variable. (Maybe this would be a good plugin request… Additionally, I know I can do this easily using my own PHP globals via an include, but I like that EE incorporated this feature into it’s template system.)
  • I would love to see the “FORM” section have a way to organize the forms better… For example, I have many forms that are used for my template… It would be great to hide these when not needed.

What do you all think?

#2 2007-08-18 13:50:02

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Template Globals, and better form organization

The second is planned.

For the first, I don’t see the difference between using {html_head} or <txp:output_form form="html_head" />.

#3 2007-08-18 15:22:48

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

apparently expressionengine suffers from performance issues when ‘embedding’ vs using template global variables. globals are not allowed EE tags or php so i assume thus would make less calls to the db? err ok.

sounds like a way to make up for a fault in EE rather than a feature.

maybe txp suffers from this as well? shrug . it just seems odd when you peruse the EE forums that ppl are talking about embeds in their templates that could bring the entire server to a halt. sheesh

but i agree i dont really see a difference between {code_to_embed} and <txp:output_form form=“code_to_embed”> besides the slightly smaller template markup which i highly doubt is worth it

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-08-18 15:29:33)

#4 2007-08-18 16:16:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

iblastoff wrote:

apparently expressionengine suffers from performance issues when ‘embedding’ vs using template global variables.

Wherever I turn, in whatever Blog or CMS forum I happen to hang out in, there’s always the EE has this or that, why doesn’t Product X have it also?

EE does have an impressive feature set, no doubt about it, but with it comes with a price in server resources. TxP on the other hand runs circles around EE on any server you throw it on, it may not have feature Y in the core, but maybe I don’t need it and if I do, there’s probably a plugin.

I’m in the mindset that it’s better to add than having to subtract from. I’d rather take a simple core like TxP and add plugins to it, than having to throttle back an EE install cause my shared host is about ready to kick me off his server.

#5 2007-08-18 16:58:24

mhulse
Plugin Author

Hey all, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the support. :)

Please do not get me wrong… I totally prefer TXP to EE — of course, I try to pick a CMS based on project requirements.

I guess I just assumed a global CONSTANT would be faster than using an embed… But I do agree that the EE template system does not even compare to TXP, and I do love how light-weight TXP is.

Hehe, thanks all for showing me the light on that one.

I will be looking forward to the admin upgrades.

Have a great day.
Cheers,
Micky

#6 2007-08-18 17:14:17

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:
Wherever I turn, in whatever Blog or CMS forum I happen to hang out in, there’s always the EE has this or that, why doesn’t Product X have it also?

EE does have an impressive feature set, no doubt about it, but with it comes with a price in server resources. TxP on the other hand runs circles around EE on any server you throw it on, it may not have feature Y in the core, but maybe I don’t need it and if I do, there’s probably a plugin.

I’m in the mindset that it’s better to add than having to subtract from. I’d rather take a simple core like TxP and add plugins to it, than having to throttle back an EE install cause my shared host is about ready to kick me off his server.

i agree. still, the only thing i really want from EE is their delicious custom fields mmm. that feature alone would honestly make txp 100x stronger than it is already.

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-08-18 17:14:35)

#7 2007-08-18 22:34:32

mhulse
Plugin Author

Ooooh, iblastoff, good call. That would be super nice. :D

Board footer