Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-06-13 09:58:30

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Re: Safari for Windows

phiw13 wrote:

[EDIT] This page seems to have a fix that work for a number of people.

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

A few odball issues, but it’s very fast. Something about the way it renders sites seems more polished than IE or Firefox. I don’t think I could live without Firefox’s extensibility, however.

Had to turn the text smoothing down to “light” so that I could stop squinting at fuzzy letters on my CRT. I know it’s blasphemy to Mac users, but I still prefer the ClearType antialiasing in Windows.

Man, the lack of a spell-checker is killing me. My apologies if the spelling in this post is a mess…

#14 2007-06-13 18:45:01

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Logoleptic wrote:

Man, the lack of a spell-checker is killing me. My apologies if the spelling in this post is a mess…

That’s because Mac OS X has one built in (hit cmd+; to spell check inputs), so the browser doesn’t need a spell checker. It does suck for Windows though :(. From all the reports, it seems Safari for Windows should be an alpha release.

#15 2007-06-13 19:18:51

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

jm wrote:

From all the reports, it seems Safari for Windows should be an alpha release.

Once you get the font situation sorted out, it has a much more “beta” feel. Some important features are still missing, however.

#16 2007-06-13 23:21:01

masa

Jeremie wrote:

That would need a Windows license fee, making IE quite an expensive software for it’s quality :)

While that’s certainly true, I’ve found the cash outlay for any software to be a minor expense in the long run.

#17 2007-06-15 02:36:00

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Safari uses up quite a lot of memory on Windows, though it’s nice to have around for testing purposes.

Wonder why they didn’t rename it to iBrowser?

#18 2007-06-29 08:16:35

lozmatic
Website

Love it!

It renders much faster than IE or FF and the text is somewhat bolder, which works for me as I have a small screen.

I do miss some of the IE features such as the pull down menu on the address bar.

#19 2007-07-04 23:23:23

zero
Website

Can any of you Mac users tell me if Safari for Windows pretty well renders pages the same as Safari on a Mac? Apart from making all text bold (which seems to be a font problem they are working on) it does not seem to understand ems. Does it think an em is 15px or something?

If my body font size is set to 1em, I can be certain in all other browsers that an image of 48px by 48px is exactly 3em by 3em. But my images in S for W are too big and won’t fit into an em-sized box like they do in all other browsers.

Because a web page is much smaller on S for W than it is on other browsers, it makes me wonder if it is an em problem but could find nothing on a google search. Resizing the text produces odd sizes and is never the same as other browsers, which all render same pages the same size.

From what I’ve seen so far, Safari for Windows seems to have ‘unique’ ways of rendering web pages and might as well be another IE for how much good it is.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer