Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-07-02 19:24:04

eightounces
Website

Re: Feedback on Textpattern 4.0.5 release

wet wrote:

eightounces wrote:

I’m curious about the back end branding as well. I’m fine with the fact it’s just logo & color, but I don’t understand where this is done. […] Or do I literally need to replace /textpattern/txp_img/textpattern.gif?

Yes, you have to physically replace this image file, plus you may change the #branding selectors in the style sheet (textpattern/textpattern.css).

Well, it’s a great release, but I have to say- the “branding” statement’s a bit misleading. This isn’t much different than previous versions. I’d say both that image folder and the css file are part of the core system, the part that you should be able to just swap out when doing an upgrade and never touch. It’s not like you’d advertise, “Custom Textile tags” via hacking lib/classTextile.php. Anyway, apologies for sounding snitty, I was really hoping for it to be part of the interface (ala Basecamp?).

#26 2007-07-02 19:33:07

The-Exit
Website

I got on another server the message in the diag-tab that some php functions are missing:

phpinfo, phpcredits, escapeshellarg, escapeshellcmd, proc_close, proc_get_status, proc_nice, proc_terminate, virtual, ini_alter, php_ini_scanned_files, memory_get_usage, show_source, mbstring

are they crucial or very important?

#27 2007-07-02 19:34:02

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I’m all ears for suggestions re:branding for the next release.

We understand that this is an important issue for agencies and freelancers which provides them with a competitive advantage – this is a target we want to support.

Prior to 4.0.5, changing both the size and the visual appearence of the “branding” area required you to hack a php file. Now this is lifted into a more visible location, but this doesn’t mean it has to stop here.

#28 2007-07-02 19:35:39

The-Exit
Website

But the logo you cannot brand. I just changed with a plugin the background color. for the logo, i just hacked the txplib_head.php

#29 2007-07-02 21:08:41

FireFusion

The-Exit wrote:

But the logo you cannot brand. I just changed with a plugin the background color. for the logo, i just hacked the txplib_head.php

You can. Just overwrite Textpattern.gif and set new width and stuff in textpattern.css

You only need to hack more if you want something other then a gif file.

#30 2007-07-02 21:18:52

The-Exit
Website

Yes I know, I could replace the gif with another image. But an update of texpattern would replace the logo. Therefore I would prefer a possibility to overwrite the image with css.

Perhaps the hpw_admincss-plugin could be part of the textpattern core with a admin css for very easy customization. This would make this feature really cool. As it is, it remains a little bit tricky.

#31 2007-07-02 23:05:16

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

wet wrote:

I’m all ears for suggestions re:branding for the next release.

We understand that this is an important issue for agencies and freelancers which provides them with a competitive advantage – this is a target we want to support.

Prior to 4.0.5, changing both the size and the visual appearence of the “branding” area required you to hack a php file. Now this is lifted into a more visible location, but this doesn’t mean it has to stop here.

Understanding, of course, that this will fall under the realm of the redone admin interface, as well as the fact that 4.0.x is supposed to be essentially closed for new features, so 4.0.x can see changes but nothing terribly sweeping.

#32 2007-07-03 01:43:38

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

nothing constructive to add as of yet but just wanted to chime in with a seamless upgrade. thank you

#33 2007-07-03 06:48:57

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

For branding, how about a heading or paragraph with Phark image replacement? To change the background image, just upload your logo and edit the CSS file.

Also… what’s the big deal about admin branding? I know this is a big deal for some people/companies, but I don’t really understand why. What am I missing?

#34 2007-07-03 08:33:47

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

The-Exit wrote:

I got on another server the message in the diag-tab that some php functions are missing:

phpinfo, phpcredits, escapeshellarg, escapeshellcmd, proc_close, proc_get_status, proc_nice, proc_terminate, virtual, ini_alter, php_ini_scanned_files, memory_get_usage, show_source, mbstring

are they crucial or very important?

You got the same warning in 4.0.4. TXP doesn’t need those specific functions.

Last edited by ruud (2007-07-03 08:34:05)

#35 2007-07-03 19:32:37

anoke
Archived Plugin Author

Mary wrote:

as well as the fact that 4.0.x is supposed to be essentially closed for new features, so 4.0.x can see changes but nothing terribly sweeping.

Hmm, what’s sweeping? And where goes the line between new feature and improvement? Or is this “depends on the patches we get” thing? What are the things we will never see in 4.0.x but in 4.1.x.? Which raises question “when 4.1.x is due?” Will we see 4.0.6 before it?

(my guesses: loosing backward compability, on water, perhaps, many, not soon, most likely)

Branding is kewl. Built-in file/image permissions would be even more. Or am I the only one having more than one user in my TXP installations?

- When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water -

#36 2007-07-03 19:38:16

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

anoke wrote:

What are the things we will never see in 4.0.x but in 4.1.x.?

It’s on the main site.

Board footer