Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-06-23 20:44:23

resplence

Help me graduate! (CMS survey)

This year I’ll graduate in design and I have to write a monograph (a kind of thesis – sorry, I don’t how it is called in english) as a final exam. After considering several subjects on the past few months, I think it is going to be about CMSs, so I’d like to know any thoughts you guys might have about what the perfect CMS would be like.

While still deciding on the final subjects, I even asked something similar here before. Now it’s a more broad question – not so much about TXP, but how designers would like to work when building a site. Some main points are:

1. How it would allow the designer to work (design the site and implement it with the CMS)
2. How it would allow the designer’s clients to work (change and update stuff on their own, etc)
3. What features have you ever thought of or needed that current CMSs don’t have or are not optimal?

Also, it’s important for me to know what’s your site-building process. For example: for me, with TXP, I design the site completely with HTML and CSS, and then just copy and paste stuff into forms and pages, after defining sections, categories and other site configurations. This works very well for me, but sometimes it’s too cumbersome for clients that want to mantain the site on their own.

So, basically, you are free to share anything that comes to mind :)

If I really choose to use this theme for the disseration, I plan to post it online when I’m done with it, and then I would of course let you guys know about it.

Thanks!

#2 2007-06-24 07:11:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Help me graduate! (CMS survey)

hi resplence
thought i could help with asking as opposed to answering:)
As this is a thesis wouldn’t you need a theoretical element to tie your arguments?
Would it possibly help if you compared interfaces with processes?
Although I am no webdesigner, i am an architect and lots of the process are similar… (ie both disciplines deal with ‘space’, aesthetics, functionality, usability… safety).
Asking regarding how designers/clients use txp (or any other cms) is a very pragmatic approach but alas you might end up writing about preoccupations in commercial endeavours as opposed to academic values…

You might want to study a couple of links:

• infosthetics.com
  • some of the LABS submissions where you can find some wonderful dissertations some of which you might find relevant.

Last edited by colak (2007-06-24 07:16:58)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2007-06-24 16:57:00

resplence

Re: Help me graduate! (CMS survey)

A monograph is more of a dissertation than a thesis. I don’t have to make a point or present an original conclusion on the topic. It might simply be a “study” on the subject. My main interest here is to 1. see how designers interpret/evaluate what’s available for them, 2. how does it relate to what they really wanted, and 3. how they deal with its shortcomings. It’s more about thought process and heuristics, really.

Thanks for the suggestion and links, I’m going to study them.

Board footer