Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-04-24 02:16:33

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: some ideas about the comment preview mechanism

Logoleptic wrote:

I can’t really tell much about how this works from looking at the page. If this was your doing, could you share your methods with us? I do think the handling of the Textile help is great, but I’m not sure how this is a “popup without the popup.”

Sorry, I should’ve linked to the original article. Basically, with popup comments on, you edit your default template to link to ?parentid=ArticleID#

<a href="<txp:site_url />?parentid=<txp:article_id />">Post Your Comment</a>

Really, it’s popup comments without the popup :). Just stuff the popup_comments form with whatever code you want.

Last edited by jm (2007-04-24 02:18:03)

#14 2007-04-24 05:27:16

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. :-)

#15 2007-05-14 19:04:30

yeahdisk

I’ve had many a thought on how to make the Comment preview thang easier to the uninitiated. I think I’m on the right lines with my latest effort – you can see it in action here: http://theparkerproject.com/article/19/previewing-comments-in-textpattern

Rather than try and override or hide textpattern’s methods, I’ve brought them to the fore. Please, let me know what you think.

Chris.

#16 2007-05-14 21:36:39

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Nice job, Chris. Looks similar to what I ended up doing, though I used the built-in <txp:if_comments_preview> tag. With the right CSS and copy, the preview mechanism can certainly be made more end-user friendly. Like most things, Textpattern leaves the exact implementation up to the site’s developer. That’s not a bad thing at all, but it does force one to think things through.

Now that I’ve gotten my head around the way Txp handles comments, my main problem is the way the functionality is split between the preferences and the tags themselves. I’d much rather see things like list format vs. divs handled in the templates than in the preferences.

#17 2007-05-14 21:58:24

maniqui
Website

Logoleptic wrote:

Now that I’ve gotten my head around the way Txp handles comments, my main problem is the way the functionality is split between the preferences and the tags themselves. I’d much rather see things like list format vs. divs handled in the templates than in the preferences.

I think what you are saying only counts when you select the auto-append comments option. So, if comments are auto-appended, you can choose between ordered list vs div output.
If the auto-append option is turned off, you can handle the output from the templates.
Maybe I’m missing something, but all the auto-append (and ol vs div) mechanism is there just for backward-compatibility.

yeahdisk:

Great idea!
What’s the difference between the built-in comment preview conditional and your plug-in tag?

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2007-05-15 05:47:31

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

yeahdisk wrote:

I’ve had many a thought on how to make the Comment preview thang easier to the uninitiated. I think I’m on the right lines with my latest effort – you can see it in action here: http://theparkerproject.com/article/19/previewing-comments-in-textpattern

Rather than try and override or hide textpattern’s methods, I’ve brought them to the fore. Please, let me know what you think.

Nice!!! Does this handle automated spam?

>Edit It would be good if you added your plugin in the Author support forum

Last edited by colak (2007-05-15 05:53:39)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer