Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-04-28 21:36:36

soulship
Website

I need help matching a CMS to a project, Multi level membership

Hmmm I am scratching my head on this one and do not want to commit to anything until I am satisfied that I won’t loose my shorts trying to hack a system that is not up to what I need it to do from the SOW. The project in question needs a few very specific functions:

1) Some free content for casual users
(level 1)

2) Simple registrations for other article access (ala NYTimes) User name, email addy, password
(level 2) Level 2 can see level 2 content and level 1 content

3) Restricted content for paid members on three more tiers
(level 3,4,5) Level 3 can see level 3/2/1 – Level 4 can see level 4/3/2/1 – Level 5 can see level 5/4/3/2/1

4) Protected Search- When members search they cannot even see titles of higher article than they have privileges for same with feeds and SE indexing.

5)Semantic markup [Must be 508 compliant (they get government cheese)] without fighting an arcane CMS to make it 508 compliant

I thought EE coould handle this elegantly but saw a thread on their forum that speaks otherwise.

So now I am lost. I am a TXP head, but know better than to try and make this happen with TXP.

Thanks for any input/similar experiences!

Jamie

#2 2007-04-28 22:41:07

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: I need help matching a CMS to a project, Multi level membership

Have a look at b2evolution, I’ve always like their permission system.

#3 2007-04-29 21:15:27

soulship
Website

Thanks for the tip…. Not familiar with that. Checking it out now.

#4 2007-04-29 23:20:29

hakjoon
Website

Is b2 still alive? I thought it died and became Wordpress. I know Ez publish can handle all this but the learning curve is pretty vertical.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#5 2007-04-29 23:30:00

soulship
Website

Have you worked with EZ Publish Patrick? Looking at the web site now. May be looking to enlist help on this project due to the scope.

Jamie

#6 2007-04-29 23:40:16

hakjoon
Website

I was using it before I switched over to TXP so it’s been a few years.

It’s a powerhouse but it can take a little bit to click on how the system works. I’m pretty sure you can create whatever user groups you want though and allow or block access to the content based on thse roles.

Honestly you can pretty much create whatever you want with it, and you can get pretty far writing almost no code, but it took some serious horsepower if I remember properly.

#7 2007-04-30 10:58:29

soulship
Website

This looks like it will get much further than EE without hacking, but it looks like section 508 may take a good bit of extra work on this system.

#8 2007-04-30 13:54:50

hakjoon
Website

It can be done though. You have 100% control over every single line of HTML that gets spit out. It uses this elegant system of overrides so there is a default template it will fall back to for every piece but you can go in and create your own. You can control list view, individual view, list view in a list, list view in an individual article, view inside a a parent, inside a sibling.

Once you get your head around it, it’s a thing of beauty. And the new front end editing options make it simpler for users to work with. And if you want you can code your own admin interface for every day use.

The resources are also much better now then when I was playing with it. There used to be a tutorial on setting up a chess site which covered anonymous posting and restricted areas which was really good at getting your head around the concepts. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be there anymore.

#9 2007-04-30 16:25:32

soulship
Website

Yes, I have seen some posts about the mysterious chess site tutorial, but have yet to actually find it. What I find interesting is the ability to transfer oo docs directly into the site and have them translated into the sites format. I am wondering how in tune with semantic web that process adheres to. i plan on installing it on a test box tonight and poking around in it’s head a bit.

Jamie

Board footer