Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#265 2007-04-17 18:44:38

shotoshi
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

Nathan, great stuff man! Totally loving the admin java – works well so far, very sweet indeed!!!

Question: TagActive (activeclass). Sorry to sound so dense but how would I invoke this? On my site I’d like the active tag to have a blue background (hightlight) and white text. Would I need to set this up in my CSS file?

#266 2007-04-17 22:52:41

merz1
Website

> enhance the javascript on the admin side)

What would I have to expect?

(I did…) Uploaded 2.2, activated it and set ‘TRU_TAGS_SHOW_TAGS_IN_ADMIN’, 1);

@Nathan FYI: Nothing to see below the keywords field. Usually on my site it is not activated so I don’t know how it was with 2.1. Maybe I have too many keywords and some array exploded?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#267 2007-04-18 00:23:21

truist
Plugin Author
Website

shotoshi – yes, you’d have to update your CSS file. By default, you’d want something like:

.tagActive { background-color: blue; color: white; }

merz1 – I’m not sure. Is there anything unusual at the very bottom of the page? What browser are you using? Are there any indications in the status bar that there are javascript errors? Are you using TXP 4.0.4? (I can’t remember.) Any errors showing up at the top of the page? What if you switch your site to ‘debug’ mode?

Sorry for the barrage of questions – let me know if one of them leads to something :)

#268 2007-04-18 11:36:11

merz1
Website

@Nathan: There was nothing irregular. No red JS errors, no errors at top of the page.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.3. Textpattern is 4.0.4.

If activated the source code shows a huge block of JS for the keywords but it doesn’t show up on the admin side article write page.

Deactivating rss_admin_show_adv_opts, CoComment, Greasemonkey doesn’t show any success/effect.

Setting Textpattern to debugging mode shows no debugging info in the source code on the admin write page.

DOM inspector shows the script but if I say ‘inspect’ it does not show up in the DOM inspector rendered output. The element script with content is there. Sorry, but I don’t know what more to do with that tool.

Now I switched back to ‘TRU_TAGS_SHOW_TAGS_IN_ADMIN’, 0); as it doesn’t bother me.

The question remains: “What would I have to expect?” From the usage page I couldn’t see any documentation showing me new advantages/features.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#269 2007-04-19 01:27:31

truist
Plugin Author
Website

One last guess: do you have something configured that blocks javascript? What if you try a different browser?

But you’re right, I haven’t documented the feature. Basically, if the tags are visible, the tags that are selected are highlighted (blue background, white text), and if you click one it removes it from the list. It makes it feel a lot easier to maintain the tags.

#270 2007-04-20 12:49:09

morgant
Plugin Author
Website

I actually just installed tru_tags 2.2 yesterday and ran into the same problem (the Tag list not showing up in the admin interface) in both Safari and Firefox on Mac OS X 10.4.9. Using Firefox and FireBug I tracked it down to apostrophes in some of my tags (e.g. “macworld ’07”) and true_tags isn’t correctly escaping them so it prematurely ends the string and breaks the parsing (Firebug shows them as unexpected semicolon errors).

I ran into a similar problem with my mta_digg_it plug-in and so used the php function addslashes() (since html encoding isn’t enough in this case) to escape them.

I personally just went through and removed apostrophes, but that’s not always the best solution. Other characters which could affect this are double-quotes, backslashes, and the like.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by morgant (2007-04-22 01:19:20)

#271 2007-04-28 23:54:39

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for the help, morgant – I’ve released tru_tags v2.3, with support for apostrophes and most other punctuation. It took a lot of work, but you were right that addslashes() was the key. Note that this release does not support double-quotes or tags that mix spaces and dashes (“like this-one”).

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 11:48:17)

#272 2007-04-29 20:53:52

merz1
Website

@Nathan: FYI: tru_tags v2.3 installed, Keywords now show up in admin section fine.

Deactivated that feature again because I have too many keywords :-)

#273 2007-04-29 23:43:47

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 – would Step 8 of the configuration instructions help? It’s there because I thought somebody might have that problem.

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 11:41:27)

#274 2007-04-30 14:17:05

merz1
Website

Yep, it is a workaround. But I don’t want to scroll. The main problem is that the column is too narrow.

Talking about CSS: What about an extra column between advanced options and edit field? Changing the size while editing keywords? Resizeable (How to spell this right?)? Situation: article is ready for publishing and for keyword selection I resize the tru_tags keyword column to have a bigger overview.

Great help would be a hashing function like the del.icio.us plug-in for Firefox has it. Or in other words: auto complete of keywords.

There are many improvements thinkable:

• Grouping of keywords: select a group and all keywords go to the keyword field
  • Thesaurus tree: Select a node in a branch and all following keywords go to the keyword field
  • For photo sites it would be helpful to select a series of articles by keyword (series ID) and give all articles the same preset of keywords.
  • Keyword templates: Click and a predefined set of keywords go to the keyword field

All those ideas come from bibliography and metadata photo editing software. I used to work for a photo agency where all those features proved to be very productive enhancements in the editing workflow. Maybe this is the reason why I am used to extensive keywording :-) Check this German page to see a thesaurus layout. a double click on a word on the far right will put all words in that branch into a keyword field (except the most top one to allow a thesaurus top level structure).

This could be a pop-up or DHTML overlay

And again: A keyword replace function working directly on the keyword field in the database would be a great maintenance help too (security: only for publishers/adminstrators and chief editors – or selectable + lock table).

Edit: … or password protected / or an extra plug-in/extension.

Last edited by merz1 (2007-04-30 14:21:44)

#275 2007-05-02 00:48:24

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 – I’ll think about all that stuff, for the next version :) I still have your original note about tag maintenance, and it’s on my list to do… eventually. It depends on me creating an admin-side ‘extension’ tab, and that feels like work. I’ll get there eventually

Everybody else – I have good news. A recent patch to the 4.0.5 branch of Textpattern will fix a long-standing bug in tru_tags, whereby a tag search for “flow” would also find articles matched “flower”. Woohoo! This should just be automatically fixed when 4.0.5 comes out, without any change on my part. Thanks, ruud!

#276 2007-05-02 11:54:55

merz1
Website

@Nathan: I am very satisfied with the current situation but I cross my fingers for future enhancenments. Thanks for keeping the items at least on your list(s) :-)

Board footer