Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#529 2007-04-04 13:29:17

heternova

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_suparchive - article archive list

I would like only to thanks Rob for the plugin and Philipp for the informations, without knwoledge of txp I was able to have a nice blog (I know, txp is not a blog, is a cms, but I started with txp because I wouldn’t be limited on blog, I will go ahead and learn how to do a complete site on a cms). Great stuff!

Many thanks guys
Heter

p.s: the website: http://www.laenggasse.ch/blog/index.php

#530 2007-04-08 14:25:05

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Rob – I’m the author of tru_tags and a user of mine just ran into a problem that appears to be caused by an incompatibility between tru_tags and rss_superarchive. It looks like both plugins are trying to rewrite the URL based on a pretext callback, and that (on his site, anyway) the changes made by rss_superarchive are interfering with the changes made by tru_tags. (I’m not sure if the reverse is true or not.)

I took a look at the rss_superarchive code to see if I could figure out the problem, and I don’t entirely understand it. My guess is that it’s rewriting all URLs, and my hope is that it doesn’t need to do that? tru_tags is careful to just rewrite URLs for its custom section (/tag/, usually), but I don’t know enough about rss_superarchive to know if that’s an option for you.

Any thoughts? I’m happy to set up a test site so we can both debug, if that helps. Feel free to email me (truist-temp-20070408@truist.com) if you want to take this offline.

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 11:53:05)

#531 2007-04-08 15:04:44

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Nathan, we ran into the same problem on textpattern.org where both plugins are used. I solved it there by disabling the ‘pretext’ callback in rss_suparchive and using a separate url-handler, but I think you guessed correctly that the rss_suparchive_init function is too greedy, so perhaps it helps to change this part of the rss_suparchive_init function (not tested):

if (!empty($f)) {
    if ($u2 && is_numeric($u2)) $_POST['s'] = $u1;
    if (($u3 && !is_numeric($u3)) || (!$attach_titles_to_permalinks && !$u3)) $_POST['id'] = $u2;
  }

into:

if (!empty($f) and !$_POST['s']) {
    # recognize section/yyyy, section/yyyy/mm and section/yyyy/mm/dd URLs (only sets section)
    if (preg_match('/^.+?\/\d{4}(\/\d{2}){1,2}$/', $req)) $_POST['s'] = $u1;
  }

This only sets the section if the section isn’t already set (by a different plugin) and the URL it matches one of the URL schemes used by rss_suparchive.

#532 2007-04-10 02:17:59

truist
Plugin Author
Website

ruud – I haven’t tried this, because I don’t have a working test site (yet, maybe). I’m a little concerned that you’re checking !_POST['s'] in the if statement – it’s likely that the request is actually a “get” and that the “post” variables won’t be set. (I think.) I think Rob’s just setting the “post” variables in his code because that’s the biggest hammer available to do the trick. I’m willing to set up a test site to test new versions, but ideally I’d want Rob to weigh in on whether this is an appropriate fix (and then include it in a new version of the plugin).

#533 2007-04-10 07:53:01

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

The !$_POST['s'] part is to try and avoid that this plugin overwrites the urlhandler of another plugin that was loaded earlier and uses the same “biggest hammer” trick ;)
Since there’s no way to limit which section this plugin works in (unlike the tru_tags plugin), it lowers the priority of this plugin’s urlhandler, otherwise an url like “tags/2007” would be handled by rss_suparchive instead of tru_tags.

Last edited by ruud (2007-04-10 07:55:49)

#534 2007-04-11 06:41:48

shybe

Yo, i am kinda new to this whole rss_suparchive tag. I use it to display upcoming events in conjunction with mdp calendar…that works fine, but I would like to also use it display a current event…not a PAST or FUTURE event, but a current one….as In “this is what’s going on tonight…” type of thing, then on the next day it displays the event for that night and so on. I tried using zem_event, but it wasnt working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#535 2007-04-21 09:33:32

noods

l’ve been using the rss_superarchive to archive my posts on a monthly basis for a while now, and its been great. However, i’ve only just noticed that when it archives by month, it only archives the last 10 posts of each month. Initially this wasnt a problem, cos i hardly ever posted more than 10 times a month, but now that i’ve been posting more regularly, my archives have been limited to 10 posts, which means that my excess posts are being lost. Any way to increase the limit to unlimited?

Thanks in advance.

#536 2007-04-21 09:50:22

tinyfly
Website

noods wrote:

However, i’ve only just noticed that when it archives by month, it only archives the last 10 posts of each month.

You could try adding the limit attribute to your rss_suparchive tag like so: limit="9999"

Last edited by tinyfly (2007-04-21 09:50:42)

#537 2007-04-21 10:13:12

noods

Thanks for your reply tinyfly, but the only problem is, i dont actually have the rss_suparchive anywhere to put in the limit tag – or i don’t know where exactly that rss_suparchive tage is. I’ve been using:

<txp:rss_suparchive_menu mode="month" showcount="0" section="article" linktosection="article" />

which automatically generates a monthly list, which clicks through to show all the posts for that particular month. But these posts are limited to 10 posts for some reason. If I add the limit tag to the above bbit of code, it limits the number of months displayed on the list, not posts.

I probably should have specified that in my previous post, sorry.

Last edited by noods (2007-04-21 10:13:48)

#538 2007-05-18 18:39:19

rayne
Website

My archive page is working, but I’d like something else. Is there a way to combine suparchive and suparchive_menu?

My archive list is broken down by year & month and displays all articles in that month. Is there a way to link that year/month to the archive page to show all the entries for that month. My archive page only shows titles. So I’d like to have the month link to the month page as well, so a user could browse the entire month instead of having to view a single article.

This would also eliminate the need to show so many links in the suparchive_menu I have in my sidebar. I’d prefer to only show the last 3, then I have a link to view all months which takes me to the full archive page.

Do I make sense? Archive list is at http://wifetalks.com/archived

Rayne
mama love

#539 2007-06-11 02:18:13

cbemis

In my section entitled “essays,” I use rss_suparchive_menu for a month listing in secton “essays” I link to section “essays” to generate a list of results. In the same section, I use rss_suparchive_unlimited_categories_list in the same exact way.

The “essays” section uses rss_unlimited_categories_article_list to generate list results. This works fine, except at the top of the list, I want an h3 title that displays the month that the user is viewing if they used the rss_suparchive menu listing. If they use the rss_suparchive_unlimited_categores_list, I want an h3 title that displays the category being viewed instead.

My website, http://chrisbemis.com/essays shows the section I’m talking about. Essentially, I want the user to see a title for each listing to know what month or category they are viewing.

I’ve searched forum and usage examples, but I have not found a solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#540 2007-06-22 19:29:04

dmarino
Website

I’m having trouble with the rss_suparchive_menu plugin – It’s displaying the months properly, but when I click on the month, it shows my default display. Hard to explain, see www.iamdanielmarino.com/blog to see what I’m talking about. Do I need to have my links set up in the preferences as /YYYY/MM in order to work properly?

Board footer